Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #1

Why do higher end vehicles get all the dings and dents?

Why do higher end vehicles get all the dings and dents? Am I missing something? I noticed this with my Jaguar XK. It was a dent magnet.My Excurson and my wife's nissan rarely get dinged. I just purchased my 02 Boxster a few weeks back and I already had it in the PDR shop today (great job by the way). I had a new 8 or 9 inch crease already. Do people actually aim their baskets or put more strength into opening their doors because a nice car is next to them?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:16 PM   #2

lol.. that's merphy's law
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #3

it is very frustrating. I feel your pain. Thats why I rarely drive my car when going out unless I know there is good parking. I sound obsessive, but I make it a habit of walking around my car before I drive off.
hqduong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #4
FIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong
it is very frustrating. I feel your pain. Thats why I rarely drive my car when going out unless I know there is good parking. I sound obsessive, but I make it a habit of walking around my car before I drive off.
Roger that ghost rider

Seems the world is full of idiots, but noticed more by the people that actually care, such as us!
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have noticed the same thing. I think some people do go out of there way to hurt nice cars, and others don't even think about it. I always try to park away from other cars and shopping carts. For the most part I think people respect others cars, but some do not.

I have had few problems, but do deal with some vandalism from jealous punks. But luckily for them it has not been anything permanent. I am strong a believe in the phrase:
"You just don't f*** with another man's automobile." -Pulp Fiction
Old 07-19-2008, 06:10 AM   #6

Oh yeah, I know what you're talking about. I have been ok thus far on the door dings but my 944 used to get killed with them, college campuses are the worst. Now I just park a mile away when possible. But once that first one comes ... grrr...
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:43 AM   #7
bmussatti

1) Always park in an end spot

2) End spots by the other car's passanger door is best, IMHO

3) Park far away and walk (good for the heart too)

4) Parallel parking at an end spot is very good too (give the other car lots of room to get in/out)

5) Never valet

Our cars sit very low and have NO side moldings. So, a door ding is going to show real bad. Heck, on my Explorer (I park with the same care as mentioned) the running boards can "catch" most of the trouble stuff. Not the Boxster.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #8

I followed bmussatti's laws with every car I've ever owned. But it isn't just high-end cars, it is cars you love.

Our beloved 95 MX-6 DD/Commuter Car was parked in the alley behind the Food Lion and some jerk rolled a cart into it. Then whilst parked at the edge of the universe at a restaurant I watched as some fat a$$ broad slammed her door into it with her junker mobile.

The wife's damnable 99 Jeep GC Ltd never got a parking ding. 'Cept for the time her mother backed into it in mom's driveway.

Corollaries to bmussatt's laws.

6) Don't cross park in two places. It brings out the worst in some people.

7) Always park up hill from a cart return and never park near one.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
bmussatti

8) On a windy day, be cognizant of how you park (shopping carts & other doors getting caught in the wind).

9) If you see a stray shopping cart in the mall, push it to a safer location, you may be protecting your own car, or another person's car at the very least.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
"You just don't f*** with another man's automobile." -Pulp Fiction
I thought Pulp Fiction was "don't F'n massage your boss' wife's feet"
Old 07-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #11

My wife drives the Boxster to work once or twice a week to keep a charge on the battery and keep the seals from drying out. She works at Amazon dot com and they have a huge surface lot. The first time she drove it she parked as far away from the building as possible. There was not another car within 4 stalls of her in any direction. As she is getting her stuff together to head into work this lady pulls up in this piece of junk 10 different color 80's Buick and parks right next to her. She throws open her door and puts a chip in the passenger side door the size of you little finger nail.

My wife went "mid-evil" on her. (You don't want to mess with my wife)
Old 07-19-2008, 11:07 AM   #12

Does anyone here think it may be partly because we own higher end cars we tend to notice dents and dings more than the average joe blow?
Old 07-19-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
bmussatti

Quote:
Does anyone here think it may be partly because we own higher end cars we tend to notice dents and dings more than the average joe blow?

Well, maybe! But, I have treated all of my cars like this since I was a teenager with my first car, a Fiat 128. Cost me $2,300 used in 1982. I treat my company cars the same, and have had those since 1992...Taurus', Bonnevilles, Explorers.

A rental car? That's a different story.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Well, maybe! But, I have treated all of my cars like this since I was a teenager with my first car, a Fiat 128. Cost me $2,300 used in 1982. I treat my company cars the same, and have had those since 1992...Taurus', Bonnevilles, Explorers.

A rental car? That's a different story.
Ha! So it's you people that drive rental cars that go and give people like us dings

Haha you remind me, I travel a lot for work. One day I was bored because my company sent me to middle of no where bartlesville, OK and wanted to experience what it would be like to drive with the emergency break on. I drove about 20 miles and it started smoking when I was at a stop. Lesson, don't ever buy a used rental car
Old 07-19-2008, 02:35 PM   #15

ahh...the door ding issue. It sucks. I think it keeps a lot of nice cars from being parked at walmart or xxxx resturaunt. I always try to follow the golden rules mentioned below and so far I'm dingless. Fear of parking the vehicle....no way to really get past it.....just try to park smart and if it happens rememeber it's just a car.

Last edited by Adam; 07-19-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #16
bmussatti

Quote:
Ha! So it's you people that drive rental cars that go and give people like us dings
Almost! I just don't park far away from stuff with a rental. I am still careful of other people's property.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
ahh...the door ding issue. It sucks. I think it keeps a lot of nice cars from being parked at walmart or xxxx resturaunt. I always try to follow the golden rules mentioned below and so far I'm dingless. Fear of parking the vehicle....no way to really get past it.....just try to park smart and if it happens rememeber it's just a car.

I agree. I do my best to avoid it, but this is my only car, and in the end, it's a car, made to be driven. I don't always have the option of rockstar parking.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #18

Quote:

Haha you remind me, I travel a lot for work. One day I was bored because my company sent me to middle of no where bartlesville, OK and wanted to experience what it would be like to drive with the emergency break on. I drove about 20 miles and it started smoking when I was at a stop. Lesson, don't ever buy a used rental car
Wow! I never thought about doing that one. I know when I was in Russia a while back, I was teaching myself to drive manual (I was about 15). My dad told me if I got bored or stuck I should just drop the clutch. I spent about 15 min in a parking lot doing 5k rpm drops on the rental. Poor thing...sure was fun though

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #19

I think we just care more, my wifes daily driver cost a lot more than a 986, I could care less what happens to her car nor does she care as it is just a car, use the valet, park close, leave it on the street. Now when I drive my car I park in the far spot and cover my car every week when I leave it at the airport. I think P-cars have more of an emotional attachment to their owners.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdacat
My wife drives the Boxster to work once or twice a week to keep a charge on the battery and keep the seals from drying out. She works at Amazon dot com and they have a huge surface lot. The first time she drove it she parked as far away from the building as possible. There was not another car within 4 stalls of her in any direction. As she is getting her stuff together to head into work this lady pulls up in this piece of junk 10 different color 80's Buick and parks right next to her. She throws open her door and puts a chip in the passenger side door the size of you little finger nail.

My wife went "mid-evil" on her. (You don't want to mess with my wife)
I met who ended up being one of my best friends, while I was in the Air Force, at weekend detail. I was there for being late to a recall meeting. He was a DOCTOR there for the first of eight weekends he had to serve. He had parked his freshly painted '66 911 (I had a '69 911S at the time) way out in the BX parking lot, next to a light pole. He came out from the BX to find an old Falcon parked right next to his 911 and the ass-wipe had scraped about an inch and a half gouge out of the fresh paint on the passenger door. Nick took his lug wrench out of the trunk and broke every piece of glass or plastic on the Falcon!!
This story took place in 1972............