View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
Mike_Yi

I just bought a used engine for $3500. I got a quote of $2k to replace it, and that doesn't include updating the bearing, replacing the RMS if needed, or the clutch if needed. It also doesn't include stuff like oil, filter, antifreeze, power steering fluid, hoses or belt or anything else that needs to be replaced.

The LNE IMS retrofit cost $595, and the tool kit was $135 (going off memory here, so I may be wrong). If you do it by yourself, it will cost you a couple of extra dollars for some things like flywheel and pressure plate bolts, clutch alignment tool, and a special tool needed to remove one tranny bolt. The bolts and tools are cheap. If you need an RMS, that is also cheap, but the tool to replace it is not (you can make your own for dirt cheap though). I'd say you could do the IMS itself for an extra $100. If you need to replace the clutch, it will cost about $700, and if you need a flywheel, that will add another $950 or so. It's not a tough job to do though.

BTW, take a look under your car and check the S/N on your engine. I would be that it's a replacement engine. So that means it doesn't actually have the miles you though it does. Also, if it does have close to that many miles, it is likely that the clutch has been replaced, and if so, it is also likely that you have an updated RMS. The engine I bought had a new style RMS. However, the IMS bearing was definitely worn.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote