Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #1

Advice on short shift kits

I sold my RX-8 to buy my 01 S. My favorite feature on the Mazda was the extremely short throw, precise shifter. I was disappointed in the Boxsters, and would like to improve it.
I worry that a short throw kit will require more force to shift, which may be as disappointing as the long throw.
Anyone have feedback about this? Any kits better than others?

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #2

You will be happy whatever kit you choose!
I bought the cheapest I could find on ebay and it is way better than original.
They do all look the same more or less, made somewhere in China in a CNC machine. Have never heard about anyone breaking anything here.
My kit has extremely short throw and yes It is a little bit stiff when going into second gear the first minutes after starting in a cold morning. Otherwhise it is perfect both on track and in town.
If you would like to spend some more you have original upgrade parts that doesnt have the extremely short throw and probably is a little bit better for the gearbox when you have put a lot of miles on the car due to wear on the syncro rings
spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #3

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/997SCU.html?Category_Code=986Tran
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:20 AM   #4

My B & M short shift is about as good as it gets...nice and short, not too stiff and slightly notchy (the way I like it). Whenever I drive a stock Boxster or 996, I'm reminded at just how long and vague the stock shifters are.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 05:39 AM   #5

+1 on the B&M kit. It's a little notchy when cold, but after a few minutes of driving, it's very nice!!

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 AM   #6

I'm also looking at a shifter upgrade, but I think i will go the route that ekam suggested. From what I've gleaned, it's not as short of a shift as the aftermarket units, but much smoother. I guess I'll find out!
Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 AM   #7

987 shifter is much improved over 986. I've had both.

Installed a short shift kit in my 986 but it didn't feel like a Porsche any more. Too notchy.
ehanauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #8

avoid the schnell. i have it in my car & it has a lot of sideways slop. i've compared it side by side with a B&M and the B&M feels great. i'd go that route.

(unless you want to buy my schnell!)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #9

Basically, the shorter the throw, the more shift effort is required. I installed the stock 9x7 SHORT shifter. I like it a lot.

I went with that one because I had found the B&M too notchy on an S that I drove, and from what I had read the stock (non-short) 9x7 shifter had throws that were still too long.

It's more expensive, but I got a pretty good deal from Suncoast.

With the stock units, either short or not, you get the entire shift tower, so if you don't like it you swap back and sell your unit. With the B&M and equivalent, IIRC when you're done you can't go back.

Last edited by clickman; 10-30-2010 at 07:40 AM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #10

From Suncoast on 6speed:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastric View Post
  • 997 Shift Console - a 15% reduction from your stock 996 unit. A great bang for the buck, no cold start issues. I've sold many of these, and every customer is happy and suprised with the results. Also expect smoother shifts.
  • 997 GT3 Shift Console - the same 15% reduction for a 996. I would only recommend this for the track, or for really aggressive drivers. I don't think the average person would need the reinforced joints. I wouldn't spend the money unless it was a track car.
  • 997 Short Shift Kit - As good as it gets, and with the largest reduction. If you want the best reduction possible, with no chance of installation errors..........this is the answer. This is my recommendation. Ya....it's not cheap, but you won't regret the purchase.
The factory options listed above come preassembled in the console bracket and alignment tool, making installation quick and fool-proof. All of the factory options are upgrades, all are a significant improvement over stock.
  • Aftermarket options - There are plenty of choices out there, but based on quality I would consider the B&M to be the best aftermarket version available. If not installed properly, it could be catastrophic. The installation is more labor intensive, and requires a complete dissassemble of the shift console. So precision is importmant. I've had many calls from customers who want to remove the B&M, and install the 997 shift console instead. Ask for feedback from other forum members, I'm sure you can get plenty of opinions.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:08 PM   #11

Thanks for the input

Looks like there are a bungh of opinions. I will keep looking, and hopefully find a few to test before buying.

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #12

If anyone wants a brand new B&M, let me know. I have one that I never used, still in the wrap. Also have an oem shifter unit/housing available so you can just put the B&M in it, and do a direct swap out, and still have your stock setup to bolt back in if ever needed...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:41 AM   #13

Hey clickman,

By "the stock 9x7 SHORT shifter", did you mean that you installed the stock 997 shift console then added the 997 short shift kit or is there two different version of the shift console?

Thanks!
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
avoid the schnell. i have it in my car & it has a lot of sideways slop. i've compared it side by side with a B&M and the B&M feels great. i'd go that route.

(unless you want to buy my schnell!)

+1 on this. I have the Schnell and there is sidways slop, a little annoying. If I had to do it again I would go B&M. I can't prove it, but the Schnell seems a bit "chinese knock-off" and not CNC'd billet. I'm nearly positive its just cast aluminum thats machined to look high end. I could see slight pitting in my brand new one when I received it. FYI.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijen6
Hey clickman,

By "the stock 9x7 SHORT shifter", did you mean that you installed the stock 997 shift console then added the 997 short shift kit or is there two different version of the shift console?

Thanks!
Porsche offers two different versions of the complete shifter tower for the 9x7.

Porsche 987/997 short shifter 997-424-983-00 25% reduction

Porsche 987/997 standard shifter 997-424-010-00 15% reduction

Tons of info: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7371

Last edited by clickman; 11-02-2010 at 10:53 AM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolo
+1 on this. I have the Schnell and there is sidways slop, a little annoying. If I had to do it again I would go B&M. I can't prove it, but the Schnell seems a bit "chinese knock-off" and not CNC'd billet. I'm nearly positive its just cast aluminum thats machined to look high end. I could see slight pitting in my brand new one when I received it. FYI.
I have the schnell 987 kit and I'm completely happy with it.
It is a bit stiff and notchy when cold, but, oh boy, once it warms up!!!!
It has zero sideways slop to it.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #17

Hey Clickman,

Thanks for digging up that info for me. Appreciate it mucho.
vijen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #18

I've been thinking about this thread a bit. I think the whole hunt for "shorter shift" is a bunch of baloony.

The 997 GT3 and GT3RS both only come with the "standard" shifter with the metal bushings. Just think about that for a sec.

We're not running 10 sec Corvettes or Mustangs that you NEED to save that 0.1 sec of shift time.

When was your last time that you did a heel-and-toe or double-clutch?

I agree the stock 986 shifter has a long throw but 997 shifter fixes it. DONE, end of story. You will not get the same great feeling from shifting in a S2000 because our tranny is at the rear end of the car with the shifter cables going across the engine.

A short shifter basically increase your chance for misshift - not a good thing when people are already losing sleep about IMS...

Last edited by ekam; 11-03-2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #19

Ekam, I agree we won't be breaking any shift records with the way the basic design of the shifting is set up in these cars. But at the end of the day it's all about feel and how you like to interface with your car. I just enjoy driving the car that much more with my stock short shifter. You say baloony and I say bologna.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:54 AM   #20

Well, we drive these cars to have fun, and if a different shifter does that, then so be it.

BTW, I heel/toe and double-clutch every time I drive my Boxster. ( or '89 Toyota, or wife's RSX for that matter )

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote