Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

Another one bites the dust (dealer that is)

Vin Devers in Sylvania (Toledo) Ohio, lost his Porsche franchise. I suppose it was because they never built a dedicated building - I had heard from other dealers that was a requirement.

The dealer claimed it wasn't sales - he had sold 8 so far this year. About the same as last year.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #2

Hmmm. Our closest stealership houses Porsche AND Audi AND Volkswagen in the same building.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Hmmm. Our closest stealership houses Porsche AND Audi AND Volkswagen in the same building.
Stealership? Why the invective?
VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM911
Stealership? Why the invective?
You're kidding, right?
Old 09-06-2010, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

No, Let me explain... a naive action or remark

that's what happened
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #6

Quote:
You're kidding, right?

The question was straightforward. - actually, I wasn't kidding.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 AM   #7

Stealership is Right!

When a local stealership wants $650 for the 30K service that my indy did for $200, then I think the name applies.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #8

No worries, dude. I see you're pretty new here and it might take a while to get up to speed on the local banter.

While there are no doubt a few great dealers out there, they are few and far between. The majority of them are greedy, thieving rascals. They gouge huge bucks for short simple jobs, just because they're the only ones around that can do them, and they know it. Like telling me it will be 3 hours work minimum and very involved to turn on my outside temperature display. You'll hear stories of these shenanigans over and over.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM911
The question was straightforward. - actually, I wasn't kidding.
Ok, I see you are new to the forum, so I'll bite.

The experience of MANY is that dealers have hugely - most believe unjustifiably - inflated prices for parts and service. Therefore the term "stealership" was coined. If you do a search in this forum (and others) you will find it is common.

Perhaps you have a stellar dealership, a diamond in with the lumps of coal. Or perhaps you are well enough off to not care what it costs to maintain your Porsche. I and many others are not that well off, or just don't care to be ripped off.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #10

Well, I believe it will be changed to a new type of dealership: VW/PORSCHE.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #11

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Stealership is in no way exclusive to Porsche...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #12

Thanks for your responses, guys....

I originally asked about the word "stealership" because I was afraid it resulted from some unsatisfactory experiences with one or more dealers. This feeling was confirmed by the responses to my inquiry.

I do have a bit of a concern about the use of the word if applied to a business that establishes premium pricing, which is then seen as "stealing." In general, stealing occurs when the victim loses something to a thief without his consent. The payment of a premium price (the amount charged by a Porsche dealer, in this case) has the consent of the payer, or else the transaction would not occur.

If applied more broadly, might the highest priced goods/services from any purveyor of goods/services be said to be "stealing?" I think not.

STEAL (from dictionary.com)
–verb (used with object)
1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, esp. secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.

I'm not defending premium pricing (or price gouging), but when a customer chooses to pay such prices, I contend that no stealing takes place, according to the above definition. Thankfully, there are indies and Porsche dealers who provide fair and reasonable pricing for service. There are many outlets (Suncoast, Sunset, Pelican Parts, etc.) that sell parts at competitive prices. And lastly, your PCA membership will get you a 10% discount on parts at most dealerships that you walk into.

I admit this - I object to the use of invectives, and inferences that dealers are immoral because their premium prices represent the act of stealing. And I don't like inferences that paint everyone with the same paintbrush

And for those who may suffer from the high cost of service for our high performance sports cars, perhaps another brand might be a better choice as far as purchase price and subsequent costs of ownership - Honda S2000? Mazda Miata? Lotus Elise?

Thanks for listening. Not trying to pick a fight by any means - I just needed to vent about how the word "steal" gets used.

Last edited by VGM911; 09-07-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #13

Sometimes "choosing" to pay dealership prices isn't a choice, as in, it's either that or don't fix your car. Not everyone has access to a good indie or has the aptitude or other resources needed to be able to do their own repairs. As far as I'm concerned, when you grossly overcharge because you know that your victim has no choice but to pay what you demand, that is the same thing as stealing. I guess you could also call it extortion, if perhaps you find that word as little more palatable. It is still grabbing more than you are entitled to out of pure greed combined with a lack of ethics.

Frankly, I think you've got a lot of damn nerve coming on this forum with your grand total of 14 posts and presuming to lecture us on our choice of words. Learn your place, boy.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Sometimes "choosing" to pay dealership prices isn't a choice, as in, it's either that or don't fix your car. Not everyone has access to a good indie or has the aptitude or other resources needed to be able to do their own repairs. As far as I'm concerned, when you grossly overcharge because you know that your victim has no choice but to pay what you demand, that is the same thing as stealing. I guess you could also call it extortion, if perhaps you find that word as little more palatable. It is still grabbing more than you are entitled to out of pure greed combined with a lack of ethics.

Frankly, I think you've got a lot of damn nerve coming on this forum with your grand total of 14 posts and presuming to lecture us on our choice of words. Learn your place, boy.
I wasn't being nasty, but you are. It seems like you feel that your 188 posts give you a kind of seniority or superior position, and the right to be a jerk to someone who's simply expressing an opinion.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #15

Damn right I'm getting nasty! 188 post isn't a lot on this forum - there are peeps with thousands, and it certainly does not confer seniority. But, a healthy majority of my posts were made to provide information and assistance to folks who came here asking for it in a polite, courteous, and respectful manner, much like the information that was provided to me when I asked for it, politely, respectfully, and courteously. Look back at my first response to you - I gave your question the benefit of the doubt and provided you with the information you asked for, in a friendly tone.

But what gets my back up, and it has been happening too often lately, is when some noob comes strolling in swinging his dick like you did. If you don't like the expressions used here, then don't come here. What did you think the response would be - that we would all humbly bow down and thank you profusely for showing us the error of our ways? What the hell makes you think that it is your place to lecture this group on choice of words? You got your ears pinned back for good reason, and I submit that it is you acting like a jerk, not I.

Now, you would be well advised to learn your lesson and move forward. Nobody holds grudges around here and I am certainly willing to overlook your little faux pas. We all get off on the wrong foot sometimes.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #16

Hi,

I feel invisible here, my wisdom has been over taken by cockiness

:ah:
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Damn right I'm getting nasty! 188 post isn't a lot on this forum - there are peeps with thousands, and it certainly does not confer seniority. But, a healthy majority of my posts were made to provide information and assistance to folks who came here asking for it in a polite, courteous, and respectful manner, much like the information that was provided to me when I asked for it, politely, respectfully, and courteously. Look back at my first response to you - I gave your question the benefit of the doubt and provided you with the information you asked for, in a friendly tone.

But what gets my back up, and it has been happening too often lately, is when some noob comes strolling in swinging his dick like you did. If you don't like the expressions used here, then don't come here. What did you think the response would be - that we would all humbly bow down and thank you profusely for showing us the error of our ways? What the hell makes you think that it is your place to lecture this group on choice of words? You got your ears pinned back for good reason, and I submit that it is you acting like a jerk, not I.

Now, you would be well advised to learn your lesson and move forward. Nobody holds grudges around here and I am certainly willing to overlook your little faux pas. We all get off on the wrong foot sometimes.
Clearly, my posts meant no harm or undue criticism of anyone. But it's interesting to see how an opinion that doesn't square with yours results in personal attacks and an emotional tirade. Nevertheless, consider yourself forgiven - I hold no grudges. Truce?

Last edited by VGM911; 09-07-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #18

Absolutely!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #19

Just to clear the air, VGM, do you have any affiliation with Porsche?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:55 PM   #20

I have no affiliation with Porsche, and I've had my cars serviced both at Porsche dealers and at independents.

Last edited by VGM911; 09-07-2010 at 07:57 PM.