View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #12
VGM911

Thanks for your responses, guys....

I originally asked about the word "stealership" because I was afraid it resulted from some unsatisfactory experiences with one or more dealers. This feeling was confirmed by the responses to my inquiry.

I do have a bit of a concern about the use of the word if applied to a business that establishes premium pricing, which is then seen as "stealing." In general, stealing occurs when the victim loses something to a thief without his consent. The payment of a premium price (the amount charged by a Porsche dealer, in this case) has the consent of the payer, or else the transaction would not occur.

If applied more broadly, might the highest priced goods/services from any purveyor of goods/services be said to be "stealing?" I think not.

STEAL (from dictionary.com)
–verb (used with object)
1. to take (the property of another or others) without permission or right, esp. secretly or by force: A pickpocket stole his watch.

I'm not defending premium pricing (or price gouging), but when a customer chooses to pay such prices, I contend that no stealing takes place, according to the above definition. Thankfully, there are indies and Porsche dealers who provide fair and reasonable pricing for service. There are many outlets (Suncoast, Sunset, Pelican Parts, etc.) that sell parts at competitive prices. And lastly, your PCA membership will get you a 10% discount on parts at most dealerships that you walk into.

I admit this - I object to the use of invectives, and inferences that dealers are immoral because their premium prices represent the act of stealing. And I don't like inferences that paint everyone with the same paintbrush

And for those who may suffer from the high cost of service for our high performance sports cars, perhaps another brand might be a better choice as far as purchase price and subsequent costs of ownership - Honda S2000? Mazda Miata? Lotus Elise?

Thanks for listening. Not trying to pick a fight by any means - I just needed to vent about how the word "steal" gets used.

Last edited by VGM911; 09-07-2010 at 12:36 PM.
VGM911 is offline   Reply With Quote