Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #21

Drive it!!!!
I made the trip from Brenham to Cincinnati and back several times. Cleveland would be a long one straight thru, even when I was young and stupid!
This time of year I would do two days and the extra miles to get south as soon as you can. I-71 to Cincinnati, I-75 to Chattanooga, I-59 to I-12 (Slidell, LA) and then I-10 to Houston, US290 to Austin. Say Hi to my old friend Brenham on your way through! Stop and get some fresh Bluebell, if you want. :dance:

Old 01-26-2010, 04:21 AM   #22
mts

I would ship it. There's unexpected snow on the streets in Lexington, KY this morning (which you might drive right through on your way back). It happens all the time in this part of the country and north of here in the winter. We had a forecasted "light dusting" a few years ago a 15 inches of snow later they closed the interstates. Very unpredictable weather.

If it were summer I would do the drive, right now I would ship it.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:17 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicRiley
Thanks for the response. Looking at the forecast, appears there may be some snow late in the week, but weekend looks clear for getting out of Ohio (especially sunday).
Nomad, hope you didn't venture up to Ohio and are attempting to bring you Box home this w/e. That was 1 bad a$$ storm rollin thru your prime drive area. Should have some fun stories if you did go. Keep us informed, we're pullin for ya.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:37 AM   #24

He may have some pics for us, similar to yours on the right, but without the "hidden" driveway!
Let's hope not and we're all pullin for him.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:39 AM   #25

One more vote for drive it. I bought my 2007 in Atlanta in February of 2009 and drove it back to Chicago. There was a nasty ice storm in southern Illinois earlier that week, but the Interstate was clean and dry a day later.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #26

Drive it. I live in Toronto and flew to Ottawa to buy my Boxster. The 5 hour drive home was great and something I will never forget.
Boxster33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #27

I elected to ship it. Should be being picked up sometime next week and be here the week after. It's cold in Austin today, glad I'm not driving cross country.
NomadicRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #28

Because of the time of year, I think that was a wise choice. I'm sure you can't wait for it to arrive. :dance:
Old 01-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #29

Hopefully your shipping wasn't more than $500. That is what the quotes were to ship my Hummer from Dallas to Denver and I paid $400 to ship a Miata from Phoenix to Dallas

Enjoy the new car!
Old 01-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #30

Considering the severity of the last several winters, I think it was a wise move to ship.
Can't wait to hear your stories about learning to love the car on those great Hill Country roads!!

BTW, have you heard Hill Country Girl by Kevin Welch?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #31

Update - shipped car w/ Reliable Carriers and it arrived today.

First impressions

Shipping - Reliable did an amazing job. I placed order last Wed. and the car arrived today, driver (Robert) was extremely helpful and professional, couldn't have been happier with their service.

Boxster - This is my first Porsche - have only driven it about 10 miles so far due to family commitments this evening, but the car is an absolute blast. I'm coming from an RX-8 and the Boxster S has so much more power and a completely different steering feel as well as it sits so much lower to the ground. Still trying to get all the adjustments right to get 100% comfortable.

One question - was testing out the brakes and under heavy braking "check coolant" light came on then went away about 45 seconds later. I assume that's not normal?
NomadicRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:26 AM   #32

Check Coolant

You're right, coming on during hard braking is not normal. With two years of ownership I have found the oil and coolant levels to be very, very finicky. A teaspoon too much of antifreeze will mean it's too high when up to operating temperature. A teaspoon too little and the warning light will come on when it's cool. The same with the oil level indicator. It's a matter of very, very small changes until you get it just right.
p.s. We have a foot of snow in this part of Ohio this morning. Wish I were back with the family in Austin.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:01 AM   #33

Now for your 1st lesson in Porsche maintenance. Whenever a fluid is low, be sure to put the proper replacement in. Many of the fluids are high performance or synthetic and generally not your garden variety type. Always be sure to use the proper fluid. Putting in the wrong type can become a very expensive mistake.

Antifreeze is no exception. Porsche's require a phosphate-free antifreeze. Your garden variety brands contain phosphates and if you add it to a system that requires phosphate-free antifreeze you'll generate a nice gell in your system that will halt any flow. Many European cars, not just Porsches, require phosphate-free anitfreeze.

There are many phosphate-free brands available, including a very spendy Porsche brand. I use Haveline Extended Life (Dex-Cool) antifreeze, which is available at many parts stores.