986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Drive Boxster back from Ohio? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/23439-drive-boxster-back-ohio.html)

NomadicRiley 01-24-2010 01:50 PM

Drive Boxster back from Ohio?

Live in Austin, TX and just bought a Boxster in Ohio (Cleveland area). Am debating pros/cons of shipping vs driving. Research I've done on shipping is that it's not cheap ~$1200 and can take awhile as well as being very hit or miss (based on reviews).

Other option of course is to fly and drive it back. Not being familiar with Ohio weather at all, is it reasonable to expect I could easily drive a Boxster back to Texas this time of year - would be traveling almost exclusively interstate (I-71 and I-40 primarily).

Thoughts?

Bladecutter 01-24-2010 02:03 PM

What tires are on the car, and how much tread is on them?
What are the weather and road conditions between where the car is and where you live?

As long as the tires are new all season tires, or even winter tires, and there isn't a storm in the works for the days you are going to be driving, there's no reason why you can't drive the car home.

Even if you have to buy brand new winter or a/s tires before you start the trip, it should cost you $1200 to drive it home.

BC.

wmtee 01-24-2010 02:10 PM

tire situation

I just bought new tires for that same trip. I am leaving on the 5th for S. Cal, and I was afraid of the summer tires. I had real good tread on 16" Michelins, but I read too many posts about how the summer compounds can not handle the cold temperatures. Guys spinning out, others wrecking. I didn't want to take the chance. I bought Conti DWS Extremes, I like them. I will keep them as the Winter tires and buy new 18" rims and tires for the summer. Good luck. Bill

der Geist 01-24-2010 02:12 PM

Unless there is a massive snowstorm , which is always a possibility you should be OK. The highways are usually pretty clear. I would chance it myself but just remember that you might have to pull over for a day if a bad storm hits. You never can tell with midwest weather.

What year do you get? Private party or dealer?

tnoice 01-24-2010 02:17 PM

DRIVE IT HOME!!! I bought my boxster from Tuscan, AZ and drove it to central Illinois. Absolutely wonderful drive. You want to fall in love with your boxster, drive it home!

Boxtaboy 01-24-2010 02:51 PM

Drive it. It'll be a fun trip, and you'll get to know your new car.

RandallNeighbour 01-24-2010 02:57 PM

I say drive it too. You'll be fine.

Paul 01-24-2010 03:36 PM

Put proper tires on it and drive it, I drive mine all year round.

schnellman 01-24-2010 04:22 PM

Show Some Buckeye Support

You can always get a good forecast from intellicast.com or the National Weather service. It's gonna be cold this week all across Ohio, but the roads stay clear. All weather tires are a waste of money.
I live in the Dayton area if you need a hand while passing through.
How about you other guys in Ohio? Come on, let's show this guy some support as he crosses the Buckeye State.

NomadicRiley 01-24-2010 04:37 PM

Thanks for the response. Looking at the forecast, appears there may be some snow late in the week, but weekend looks clear for getting out of Ohio (especially sunday).

vath2001 01-24-2010 04:39 PM

All the snow is melting in Cleveland. We have 45 F and 1" of rain falling.
So I would recommend driving, but have a good wet traction tire.
71 in Cleveland is a good road. Columbus can be a pain in any weather. And once your at Cinci, you should be clear of any snow.

I would recommend AAA for the drive.

Good Luck

husker boxster 01-24-2010 04:49 PM

This would be a much more enjoyable trip if it was June not January. If you do decide to drive it, do not chance any bad weather you run into. Boxsters lose it very quickly and without warning if they don't have winter snow tires on them. Don't know that I'd go to the expense of buying snow tires since you'll probably never need them again once you get it to Austin. If you've got the ability to take a few extra days if the weather is bad along the way, then drive it. Otherwise, shipping it would be safer.

Good luck. You'll enjoy your Box.

vath2001 01-24-2010 04:53 PM

One more thing: Be prepared to wash the salt off once you get out of the Buckeye. ODOT loves salt. We mine it out from under Lake Erie... bet you didn't know that. :)

Cartel 01-24-2010 05:20 PM

Drive her home. I purchased my vehicle out of New York, New York and I reside in Nashville, Tennessee. It was a great way for myself to be acquainted with my newly purchased vehicle. I came from a 1999 2.5L to a 2003 3.2L S and I had more than enough time to familiarize myself and you too should do yourself that favor. Either way, keep us all posted and congratulations on your new acquisiton. Enjoy her in the best of health. Best.

Lordblood 01-24-2010 08:49 PM

If you've had experience with rear wheel drive it's a bit safer.
Honestly I wouldn't risk it myself because the trip would cost at least 500 or 600 dollars anyway (for the flight + gas + hotel overnight stay? + a day driving), and there is a risk (slight or not) that you will lose it in the snowy weather with a car you've never driven before.

I've had to ship one car or another at least 3 times, even though sometimes they are a day or two late usually its good service and of course, safer.

Of course, if you want a bit more excitement in your life, driving the car home will be a great way to start your ownership!

coreseller 01-24-2010 10:54 PM

View it as an adventure, drive it. Be prepared for a potential unexpected overnight due to weather, years back I hit an ice storm just south of Cleveland doing exactly what you're thinking about, pulled off, got a hotel room and the next morning the roads were fine. Once you are 6 hours or so south of Cleveland the weather / driving should be fine. No better way to get to know your car.

jmatta 01-25-2010 05:29 AM

When I bought my Box years back, I purchased it from a dealer in the Dallas area and drove it home to northern Illinois; about 1100 miles...in February...on summer tires, without issue. Heavy rain in Texas, but other than that, no issues.

I t was really a lot of fun and far less $ than the enclosed trailer quotes I was getting.

tonycarreon 01-25-2010 06:13 AM

drive it, then let us know how it went.

i'm looking at getting a TT and looking specifically for sellers across the country... :D

jhandy 01-25-2010 06:22 AM

I say ship it.

I shipped mine from Austin texas to georgia for 500$. You could not fly up there and and drive it down for cheaper.

PM for the info if you want it.

Mike_Yi 01-25-2010 08:42 AM

Drive it. Check the weather before you leave. If it looks like snow (I'm assuming you have little experience driving in snow), postpone the pickup a day or two. Even a day after a snow, the highways should be clear. Be very careful on side roads that haven't been cleared.

Remember that summer tires are very ineffective in cold weather. So even if there isn't snow on the ground, the tires will be slick; moreso if the roads are wet. Take it easy and drive it. It should be fun.

Definitely wash it thoroughly (top and bottom) to get the salt off. If there is moisture on the roads in OH, you will have salt on your car.