Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

Drive Boxster back from Ohio?

Live in Austin, TX and just bought a Boxster in Ohio (Cleveland area). Am debating pros/cons of shipping vs driving. Research I've done on shipping is that it's not cheap ~$1200 and can take awhile as well as being very hit or miss (based on reviews).

Other option of course is to fly and drive it back. Not being familiar with Ohio weather at all, is it reasonable to expect I could easily drive a Boxster back to Texas this time of year - would be traveling almost exclusively interstate (I-71 and I-40 primarily).

Thoughts?

NomadicRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #2

What tires are on the car, and how much tread is on them?
What are the weather and road conditions between where the car is and where you live?

As long as the tires are new all season tires, or even winter tires, and there isn't a storm in the works for the days you are going to be driving, there's no reason why you can't drive the car home.

Even if you have to buy brand new winter or a/s tires before you start the trip, it should cost you $1200 to drive it home.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #3

tire situation

I just bought new tires for that same trip. I am leaving on the 5th for S. Cal, and I was afraid of the summer tires. I had real good tread on 16" Michelins, but I read too many posts about how the summer compounds can not handle the cold temperatures. Guys spinning out, others wrecking. I didn't want to take the chance. I bought Conti DWS Extremes, I like them. I will keep them as the Winter tires and buy new 18" rims and tires for the summer. Good luck. Bill
wmtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #4

Unless there is a massive snowstorm , which is always a possibility you should be OK. The highways are usually pretty clear. I would chance it myself but just remember that you might have to pull over for a day if a bad storm hits. You never can tell with midwest weather.

What year do you get? Private party or dealer?

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #5

DRIVE IT HOME!!! I bought my boxster from Tuscan, AZ and drove it to central Illinois. Absolutely wonderful drive. You want to fall in love with your boxster, drive it home!

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Drive it. It'll be a fun trip, and you'll get to know your new car.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #7

I say drive it too. You'll be fine.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Put proper tires on it and drive it, I drive mine all year round.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #9

Show Some Buckeye Support

You can always get a good forecast from intellicast.com or the National Weather service. It's gonna be cold this week all across Ohio, but the roads stay clear. All weather tires are a waste of money.
I live in the Dayton area if you need a hand while passing through.
How about you other guys in Ohio? Come on, let's show this guy some support as he crosses the Buckeye State.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:37 PM   #10

Thanks for the response. Looking at the forecast, appears there may be some snow late in the week, but weekend looks clear for getting out of Ohio (especially sunday).
NomadicRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:39 PM   #11

All the snow is melting in Cleveland. We have 45 F and 1" of rain falling.
So I would recommend driving, but have a good wet traction tire.
71 in Cleveland is a good road. Columbus can be a pain in any weather. And once your at Cinci, you should be clear of any snow.

I would recommend AAA for the drive.

Good Luck
Old 01-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #12

This would be a much more enjoyable trip if it was June not January. If you do decide to drive it, do not chance any bad weather you run into. Boxsters lose it very quickly and without warning if they don't have winter snow tires on them. Don't know that I'd go to the expense of buying snow tires since you'll probably never need them again once you get it to Austin. If you've got the ability to take a few extra days if the weather is bad along the way, then drive it. Otherwise, shipping it would be safer.

Good luck. You'll enjoy your Box.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:53 PM   #13

One more thing: Be prepared to wash the salt off once you get out of the Buckeye. ODOT loves salt. We mine it out from under Lake Erie... bet you didn't know that.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #14

Drive her home. I purchased my vehicle out of New York, New York and I reside in Nashville, Tennessee. It was a great way for myself to be acquainted with my newly purchased vehicle. I came from a 1999 2.5L to a 2003 3.2L S and I had more than enough time to familiarize myself and you too should do yourself that favor. Either way, keep us all posted and congratulations on your new acquisiton. Enjoy her in the best of health. Best.
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #15

If you've had experience with rear wheel drive it's a bit safer.
Honestly I wouldn't risk it myself because the trip would cost at least 500 or 600 dollars anyway (for the flight + gas + hotel overnight stay? + a day driving), and there is a risk (slight or not) that you will lose it in the snowy weather with a car you've never driven before.

I've had to ship one car or another at least 3 times, even though sometimes they are a day or two late usually its good service and of course, safer.

Of course, if you want a bit more excitement in your life, driving the car home will be a great way to start your ownership!
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #16

View it as an adventure, drive it. Be prepared for a potential unexpected overnight due to weather, years back I hit an ice storm just south of Cleveland doing exactly what you're thinking about, pulled off, got a hotel room and the next morning the roads were fine. Once you are 6 hours or so south of Cleveland the weather / driving should be fine. No better way to get to know your car.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #17

When I bought my Box years back, I purchased it from a dealer in the Dallas area and drove it home to northern Illinois; about 1100 miles...in February...on summer tires, without issue. Heavy rain in Texas, but other than that, no issues.

I t was really a lot of fun and far less $ than the enclosed trailer quotes I was getting.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #18

drive it, then let us know how it went.

i'm looking at getting a TT and looking specifically for sellers across the country...
Old 01-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #19

I say ship it.

I shipped mine from Austin texas to georgia for 500$. You could not fly up there and and drive it down for cheaper.

PM for the info if you want it.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #20

Drive it. Check the weather before you leave. If it looks like snow (I'm assuming you have little experience driving in snow), postpone the pickup a day or two. Even a day after a snow, the highways should be clear. Be very careful on side roads that haven't been cleared.

Remember that summer tires are very ineffective in cold weather. So even if there isn't snow on the ground, the tires will be slick; moreso if the roads are wet. Take it easy and drive it. It should be fun.

Definitely wash it thoroughly (top and bottom) to get the salt off. If there is moisture on the roads in OH, you will have salt on your car.

Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote