Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #1

987S vs. 997S

So my local dealer has a 2009 997S (C2 Cab) leftover that is marked down from $113K to $89K and has lots of options that make it more comfortable than my current ride. Anyone make the switch and then regret/wish they stuck with their Boxster? Is this a good deal or only average?

raddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #2

That's like a Tiger Wood question......do you want one of these, or stick with your gorgeous wife?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #3

Sorta. The gorgeous wife is low maintenance for only another year since the warranty expires 1/11.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #4

I have a 997s and I love it. It's wicked fast... PDK is hands down the fastest shifting transmission I have ever driven with. Every now and then I stomp on it from a standstill at a stoplight and am left with nothing but sights of other drivers behind me and a giant smile on my face.

SB
Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #5

They offered me the same kind of deal 6 months ago, $113K to $89K for a 2009 997S. I thought this seemed like a good chance to upgrade, but was hesitantly going through the motions to do it. (I really like my 2007 Boxster S, but this was a chance to have something different). The Dealer's offer on my trade-in was only $30K. To me, that was an insult on a $75K car which I purchased new from them only two years ago. Either way, I wanted to give the 997 a chance to proof that it would be worth the big investment difference i would be making. I would have to come up with $65K and my trade-in to buy the 997, but after driving it, I did not find the extra in 'oomph' in benefit or pleasure. The 997 may be somewhat faster, but if you don't race, it is really not important, or noticable. The boxster won hands down in agility, looks, overall performance. It was just a pleasure to drive. The Mid-engine handles better than rear-engine. Boxster has two trunks, 997 only one , plus some worthless rear seats that make it look like sedan instead of a sports car.

If you have decided on the 997 then go for it, I think the price is a little high. You should be able to come down on the price by at least another $5K-$9K. As a question, is the car being offered a 2009 blue cabriolet demo? Every dealership received one of these so that others could check out the new pdk transmission. Buying a demo is not what I recommend-unless it has been PPO and all services performed.
Soetekouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:20 PM   #6

My reasonably well optioned 2007 987S was "only" $57K (listed for $64K) but the dealer will allow around $33K. I agree with the performance and handling comments, though it's that 911 shape that has the real appeal. The 997S is Macadamia brown metallic, MT6, power heated comfort seats, nav, Bose, carrera classic wheels, black/sand beige full leather, a bunch of trim stuff. If it was dark blue I'd already have done the deal. There's something vaguely turdescent about the macadamia. I agree that there should be another $5-9K to play with, plus they'd love to sell it with 1.9% financing. We'll see what pricing on 12/29 and 30 look like when they're faced with carrying the car into 2010.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #7

Some good points have been brought up here. Does anybody really need the extra power of a 997? No. But, it sure is fun to have. As far as color goes, macadamia is a great color. And as mentioned above, do not buy a test drive car. I see that the one you're looking at is a 6mt and that's a good things. The test drive cars with PDK were beat to hell. My dealer still hast he launch car, 997s aqua blue cab with PDK.....there must be a reason for that. Best of luck with the decision. This is a great tough decision to have....

SB
Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #8

You guys don't realise how lucky you all are - my local OPC has a "special" on a metalic blue 2009 Carrera S with PDK and comfort seats for.......
$258,000..... and thats US $.
That's the REDUCED price too, so don't complain too much.
And we can get preferential (?) interest @ 6.9% !!

No wonder we don't see many P cars here in Australia - we are ripped off something awful.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #9

Would it be cheaper to buy one in the states and have it imported? That's just crazy!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #10

I don't understand why anyone would buy a new car when even the dealers are marking down the prices so aggresively. That's going to have an immediate downstream effect on the prices of barely used cars. Take a superbly maintained three year old with an extended warranty and you've taken a $40-$50K chunk off the new price. That's nuts. Meanwhile that 997S from three years ago is nearly indistinguishable from the 2009. Take one step further and the 2006 997S will be worth barely $40K after five years despite the fact that they are probably the most reliable Porsches ever built, just as good as Japanese car. Remind me again why people buy new?

As for the Boxster v. 997. I've driven all but the GT's. The 997 is far more powerful but its also heavier and not nearly as nimble. In other words they are completely different cars now. I would add a 997 (C4) to my garage as an addition but certainly not as a replacement. The thing I dislike the most about the 997 or all 911's for that matter is the pendulus cornering. To me it feels very unbalanced, almost as if the front end is too light and the rear too heavy. Like if you're wearing heavy boots and work pants with nothing on top. If they made a mid engine Carrera I'd be all over it. Aesthetically, I also can't stand the school bus steering wheel and the return of the VW bug headlights.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
You guys don't realise how lucky you all are - my local OPC has a "special" on a metalic blue 2009 Carrera S with PDK and comfort seats for.......
$258,000..... and thats US $.
That's the REDUCED price too, so don't complain too much.
And we can get preferential (?) interest @ 6.9% !!

No wonder we don't see many P cars here in Australia - we are ripped off something awful.
would it be cheaper to buy the parts seperately and build your own Porsche?
Gotta be...
Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #12

I have to agree with perfectlap on the performance of the two cars.
I drove a 997S demo for the PDK - absolutely the best transmission I've ever had the honor of driving! - but was not impressed with the car in general, comparing it to the 06 987S I drove to and from the dealer.
I think most here are already spoiled by the handling balance of mid-engine cars.
There is nothing else that comes close.
Without being too techy or exposing how poorly I can communicate it, the car is going to naturally rotate around the largest mass. That largest mass is always going to be the engine/transmission assembly. No matter what engineers do to alleviate it, that mass is hanging way back behind the rear wheels in all 911 designs.
That mass is also always over the front wheels in all traditional front/rear designs, whether it be a Mustang or an Aston Martin, engineers can't change the physics.
With mid-engine cars that mass is in the center of the car and there is a balance that can not be duplicated with the other designs.
One thing that really gripes me with Porsche is why they REFUSE to make a GT category Boxster/Cayman with the big engine, great brakes, etc., etc., etc., other than the fear that the 911 series would finally die.
Can you imagine a Cayman GT2?????
Old 12-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #13

Perfectlap:

Notice he said his warranty is running out, it seems like he is concerned of IMS problems. Some people do lose sleep over that, and hey, if he can afford a new car why not go for it? The new motor does have 40% less moving parts afterall.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #14

^ the bath you're going to take on depreciation for a 997 will more than pay for a new 3.8 Carrera to Boxster engine swap. What's RUF charging for that these days?

So if you're worried about what the cost of a self-grenedaing engine is going to run you're simply losing it by buying a brand spankin new Carrera. While you sleep the sound of benjamins pouring down the drain can't be heard...
I would need a different rationale to see this as a wise move.

Either way, given the quality of used options for 997's and 987's buying anything new from Porsche is just a HUGGGGGE luxury. I guess if you have it to blow be my guest more used options for us poor bastards.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #15

Sorry, don't want to hijack this thread with my venting.....

Dragonwind / perfectlap
you guys drive on the wrong side of the road - were like the Brits and Japanese- right hand drive cars only.... No LHS steering wheels allowed unless (I think) over 15 or 20 years old - and the paperwork, the paperwork.....

The import of private vehicles would attract import duty, excise tax, Luxury Car Tax and GST to bring the price up to the same or more as the same vehicle sold in Australia....
This was lobbied by the car import barons to "protect their investment" so you are screwed which ever way you turn.

I scrimpt & saved for years to buy my 2001 Boxster S which I bought in 2008 from the OPC - it cost me $US56,000. OK, it was in good shape with a 12 month warranty, but others I looked at @ $US45,000 were rubbish. I even import service parts from the US as its cheaper to than buy locally. Theres something wrong somewhere.....
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #16

Perfectlap's points about depreciation are a truly minor concern since time spent in the shop ( or worse, at the side of a road) is really important to me. I must have absolutely dependable vehicles for year round use and the support of my local VW/P/A dealer has made this possible for the past 10 years. It will come down to the final negotiated price for the 997S , the 987S trade value and whether the 1.9% financing will be provided. Many folks in my situation would just lease and walk away every 36-48 months without giving it a second thought, while putting their cash to work elsewhere. I think a wise Englishman said that he'd rather rent than own anything that rolls ,flies, floats or fornicates because all of these just continue to depreciate and aren't really assets.

I'd rather have the flexibility that ownership provides since leases are usually even worse deals financially. A new list price 997S ain't gonna happen, but at $28-33K off list, I'll entertain this for another 24 hours. Every day the dealer sits on it, it costs them more on "floor plan".