Thread: 987S vs. 997S
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 AM   #12
Quickurt

I have to agree with perfectlap on the performance of the two cars.
I drove a 997S demo for the PDK - absolutely the best transmission I've ever had the honor of driving! - but was not impressed with the car in general, comparing it to the 06 987S I drove to and from the dealer.
I think most here are already spoiled by the handling balance of mid-engine cars.
There is nothing else that comes close.
Without being too techy or exposing how poorly I can communicate it, the car is going to naturally rotate around the largest mass. That largest mass is always going to be the engine/transmission assembly. No matter what engineers do to alleviate it, that mass is hanging way back behind the rear wheels in all 911 designs.
That mass is also always over the front wheels in all traditional front/rear designs, whether it be a Mustang or an Aston Martin, engineers can't change the physics.
With mid-engine cars that mass is in the center of the car and there is a balance that can not be duplicated with the other designs.
One thing that really gripes me with Porsche is why they REFUSE to make a GT category Boxster/Cayman with the big engine, great brakes, etc., etc., etc., other than the fear that the 911 series would finally die.
Can you imagine a Cayman GT2?????