Thread: 987S vs. 997S
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
Perfectlap

I don't understand why anyone would buy a new car when even the dealers are marking down the prices so aggresively. That's going to have an immediate downstream effect on the prices of barely used cars. Take a superbly maintained three year old with an extended warranty and you've taken a $40-$50K chunk off the new price. That's nuts. Meanwhile that 997S from three years ago is nearly indistinguishable from the 2009. Take one step further and the 2006 997S will be worth barely $40K after five years despite the fact that they are probably the most reliable Porsches ever built, just as good as Japanese car. Remind me again why people buy new?

As for the Boxster v. 997. I've driven all but the GT's. The 997 is far more powerful but its also heavier and not nearly as nimble. In other words they are completely different cars now. I would add a 997 (C4) to my garage as an addition but certainly not as a replacement. The thing I dislike the most about the 997 or all 911's for that matter is the pendulus cornering. To me it feels very unbalanced, almost as if the front end is too light and the rear too heavy. Like if you're wearing heavy boots and work pants with nothing on top. If they made a mid engine Carrera I'd be all over it. Aesthetically, I also can't stand the school bus steering wheel and the return of the VW bug headlights.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote