Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
Jake is a bit of a glass-half-empty kind of guy on this subject!
Yeah, but remember in his line of business he only ever gets to hear bad news....

Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:28 PM   #62
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Porsches are designed to be run at high speeds and high revs on the Autobahn.
In my experience since the 70s, babying them causes more issues then driving them hard.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony0214
Hi Jake!!!! well I thank you for trying to help me but by saying that it would take about 4 days to write I realized that Porsche is a piece of garbage beacause a car so expensive with so many problems??? I think it is worth to by a Corolla!!!!! at least never have a problem!!!
A Corolla is obviously your dream car, so what are you waiting for? No need to deprive yourself one more minute. Pull the trigger already and dump that overpriced, unreliable, and totally overrated piece of German trash on some other unsuspecting idiot. As they say, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #64
Engine Surgeon

The glass is never full enough.

Its true that people who look our way are already having a problem so we are exposed to more horror stories than most anyone else. I do have a chunk of customers who have excellent running cars and just want to go faster than anyone else without boost, so they call me.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #65

failures

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschotland
A Corolla is obviously your dream car, so what are you waiting for? No need to deprive yourself one more minute. Pull the trigger already and dump that overpriced, unreliable, and totally overrated piece of German trash on some other unsuspecting idiot. As they say, if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
I love Porsche obviously you can't compare it with a little car o toyota what so ever!!! look friend I have had about 30 cars since I was 16 years old right now I'm 31. It's not about heat is about reliability!! I expect a car that expensive to be more reliable than any cheaper car because it is suposed to be constructed with more quality. I have had 2 Mercedes, 3 BMW's, 1 SAAB 900 turbo, 1 Volvo turbo, 2 Alfa Romeos, 1 Fiat and other American and Japonese cars and the reality is that European cars are fun to drive and you feel that yuo really have a machine in your hands but they also breack down more than Japonese cars and that is statistics. But you know what?? I will keep on buying European cars because besides that the feeling you get when you drive one you don't get it with any other car!!!! What porsche did with the boxter was to create a cheaper Porsche for people that probably did not have enogh money to by a Carrera and that's what they created a "Cheap Porsche"
By the way My Dream Car is a "FERRARI"

I didn't mean to say Porsche is not a good car I was just responding according to how Jake talks about the 20 MOF an M96 has. Then I said if is really like that then it sucks.
I did not mean to offend anybody.
tony0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #66

Those 20 failure modes apply to the 911 also, same engine architecture. It's not just the "cheap" Porsche.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:04 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
Those 20 failure modes apply to the 911 also, same engine architecture. It's not just the "cheap" Porsche.
The best you can get right know is an 2009 and 2010 I heard the dont have the IMS trouble!!!! and the cilinder walls are reiforced or thicker. I will wait until they go down in price a little bit and get into one. I sold my 2002 yesterday!! for good money so I took the head ache out of the system!!! Next time I will get it certified by porsche.
tony0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 AM   #68
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
LOL. Way to go in scaring folks out of their cars!

Anyone wanting to sell their 1999-2008 911 Cab (cars with IMS) for cheap, please let me know! Heck, you know...those engines have like 20 modes of engine failures guys, so please sell them to me cheap....right now!!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:16 AM   #69

One point which isn't usually brought up is that IMHO, the potential for engine failure is baked into the current pricing. I think anyone who has purchased a Boxster in the past 3 years or so has purchased a great car for the money.

Case in point, my wife (an accountant & car buff) figured it's still cheaper to buy a used Boxster (base), drive it hard (enjoy!), IF the engine blows have Flat 6 rebuild it better-stronger-faster, then it is to buy a Lotus Elise. The Lotus was the other car we were interested in, so it was our comparision model.

Just some food for thought.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 941MXVET
One point which isn't usually brought up is that IMHO, the potential for engine failure is baked into the current pricing. I think anyone who has purchased a Boxster in the past 3 years or so has purchased a great car for the money.
Absolutely, and you, tony0214, were a beneficiary (I was, too). Let's be honest, you thought you were getting a cheap Porsche, but you didn't do enough research before buying and it didn't turn out that way. That said, you didn't lose your a$$ on your car like some people.

I've got a few years on you and have owned a number of the European cars you mentioned, as have many friends and relatives. Fiat (aka Fix It Again TONY) stopped selling cars here in over 20+ yrs ago, Alfa ~15 yrs ago, and Saab is in the process of being euthanized (deservedly). I think that says a lot about their "quality." Apparently you saw qualities few others did. I and many family/friends have also owned Mercedes, BMWs and Volvos in the last 5-10 years that we were praying would be stolen and never recovered. Mercedes in particular has had a very spotty reliability record.

BMW & Mercedes have and still do makes some great cars (Volvo, I don't think so), but when they get older and have some miles one them, they're less reliable and more costly to repair than Japanese and American cars. Better than they used to be, but still not up to the level of the Japanese. That's why their resale value isn't great in most cases. Like you said, if you want that European driving experience, it's going to cost you, sometimes a little more, other times a lot. If you thoroughly research before you buy, truly have the money to properly maintain the car, can do a little wrenching yourself and are willing to shop around for parts, costs won't be too painful and your ownership experience will meet your expectations. Mine has in spite of all the money I've spent.

I'm not in any way excusing all the M96 and other issues. They're really disappointing in such an expensive car, even in a "cheap" Boxster. I dealt with biggest MOF (IMS) by spending the $ for the retrofit. If the engine blows up on me anyway, I'll be pissed but I can accept that because I don't have huge money invested. My point is if you can't deal with the costs/risks of such a car, don't own one. If I wanted to drive an appliance, I'd get a Toyota or Honda. They're great cars and plenty of people love them, they're just not for me.

gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote