Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
2002 986

Question New owner, dumb questions - 2002 Boxster

Hello all. First, thank you for a fantastic forum! I've already learned a lot by hanging out here, and hope to know even more.

I have purchased a 2002 Boxster (non-S) and have a few questions if you have a moment or two...

* I received only one key with my car - it has no buttons for any sort of remote activities. The car itself has the sensors indicated in the manual as part of the alarm/unlock system - how do I determine for sure that my system has an alarm? Is there something I can look for before I go to a dealership and look dumb in person?

* I only have front speakers - what I've read indicates I likely have wiring in the back for the add-on set, and that there may or may not be holes cut out in the door - but my panels don't have any grills - is there a way to determine this without popping the panels off (I dont want to break anything)? If so, is it safe to assume that there are wires in there waiting to be hooked up to speakers?

* Is it possible to replace my plastic window with a glass one short of buying an all new top? Should I bother ( I live in Georgia - mostly warm year round so no frost or snow - also garaged)?

* If I wanted to change the lights (to blue) behind the speedometer cluster, are they bulbs or are they the soldering kind? Do you have recommendations for doing so?

I really appreciate any input you can offer, and look forward to being part of the community.
:-)

scottmcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcdaniel
* I received only one key with my car - it has no buttons for any sort of remote activities. The car itself has the sensors indicated in the manual as part of the alarm/unlock system - how do I determine for sure that my system has an alarm? Is there something I can look for before I go to a dealership and look dumb in person?
sounds like you were only given the valet key. contact the seller and request the actual key. once you lock the car you should see a red light on top of the dash and in the front of the radio blinking. this tells you the alarm is active.

Quote:
* I only have front speakers - what I've read indicates I likely have wiring in the back for the add-on set, and that there may or may not be holes cut out in the door - but my panels don't have any grills - is there a way to determine this without popping the panels off (I dont want to break anything)? If so, is it safe to assume that there are wires in there waiting to be hooked up to speakers?
i believe you would need to run the wires yourself, but they're usually sent with the speaker kit. i know my box has the panel speakers but no rear speakers. the "holes" for the rear speakers are behind the seats in the compartment area under the loops / wind screens. here's a link to pelican's site on how to install the speakers.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/box_rear_speakers/box_rear_speakers.htm

Quote:
* Is it possible to replace my plastic window with a glass one short of buying an all new top? Should I bother ( I live in Georgia - mostly warm year round so no frost or snow - also garaged)?
not sure on this one, but i believe the way the top folds for the plastic vs glass would mean it would not fold down correctly. someone correct me on this if i'm wrong. the tops from GAHH seem to be very well regarded and the cost isn't too bad - $1200-1500 for the top and installation labor. if there's nothing wrong with your plastic my opinion would be to wait until it breaks / tears and replace it then.

Quote:
* If I wanted to change the lights (to blue) behind the speedometer cluster, are they bulbs or are they the soldering kind? Do you have recommendations for doing so?
it's possible, but you'll have to disassemble the entire cluster, which just means once you put it back together something won't work right. the lights are soldered on.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #3

The cluster bulbs are socket types on my 2000. No soldering required.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #4
2002 986

Thank for the info folks.

I stopped by the local dealer today and the service guy said my sensors were 'dummy', but it would be easy to add a third party system to the box under the seat.

He also recommended adding subwoofers to the doors instead of the back, saving that space for the storage net currently below the rollbars.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #5

I have a few thoughts you may want to consider. I have a 2000 base boxster.

I have installed rear speakers ( you can purchase the rear speakers made for the rear storage compartment). They really enhance the sound especially when the top is down since they are near your ears. I would invest in these, before adding speakers in the doors.

You can't install a glass window in your top. If you do not have any leaks, tears etc, you may want to keep your original top. I did purchase a GAHH top with rear glass window and defroster and I am very happy with the top. I use the defroster often in Florida.

Enjoy the car!
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #6

Be sure to disconnect the battery before popping any door pads off. Otherwise you'll deploy the airbags.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:14 AM   #7
2002 986

I have a feeling that this is the best advice I am going to read all day.

Thank you so much...I would have freaked had I done that. Presumably it costs a small fortune for the dealer to repack the airbags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Be sure to disconnect the battery before popping any door pads off. Otherwise you'll deploy the airbags.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
onshore

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum. Regarding your key there is bad news and more bad news. Your car came with a very good alarm system that is activated and deactivated in a couple of ways. The key you have is a valet key unless it has two or three humps on it that compress when you push them. If it does then it may not be working due to a dead battery in the key. The good news on that is you can replace the battery inexpensively by popping the key apart, the bad news is the key will probably have to be reprogrammed at around $125. If it is a valet key then you will have to buy a new key that can be reprogrammed and that key is about $135 unless you can find a good one on eBay for less and I would make sure it has a return policy if it doesn't work. The alarm system can be activated and deactivated by the door lock and ignition key recognition once the key is inserted in the ignition before 10 seconds elapse so you don't have to pay for the key to be reprogrammed as long as you remember to put the key in the ignition within 10 seconds of getting in the car or the alarm goes off. Before you buy a key check with the dealer to find out if your key has two or three activations. Up to a certain year one hump on the key worked the alarm and door locks and the other opened the trunk in later years (I don't know when) a third hump was added to open the front boot. They're hard to see but there are little icons on the humps. Lastly get a manual for your model year it has all of this information in it. I just went through this so I hope what I experience helps.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #9

Is it true you need to disconnet the battery before you take your door panel off?
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn
Is it true you need to disconnet the battery before you take your door panel off?
Yep, step #1 in the Bentley manual.

It's followed by a warning that says to wait 1 min after disconnecting before working in the vacinity of the airbag.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote