Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #1

Different Speaker Option Question

I have searched alot today about speaker options as we all apparently saw the 06 shelf go up on Ebay.'

I just took out my storage shelf and I have seen the Ebay speaker kits that fit in to the extreme left and right cubby holes.

What I want to know is why not fit two 5 inch speakers pointing up by cutting two holes in the top of the shelf on each side of the middle but closer to the center than the small cubby holes.

Anyone done this?

dranderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #2

I considered this as I was to my wits end trying to figure out how to make it work. I had my infinity kappas sitting on their magnet facing up and the sound difference was pretty dramatic as opposed to facing forward. I just opted to get a pair of 3 1/2 kappas and cut a bigger hole in 1 of my existing 2" slots. It came out looking perfectly stock but I did sacrafise a little sound volume. I still have the 4" plate speakers sitting on a shelf.

back to your theory. I think it would be fine for when the top is up, but I didn't think it would work out when the top was down. If you try this let us know how it worked out. I can still rewire my stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranderia
I have searched alot today about speaker options as we all apparently saw the 06 shelf go up on Ebay.'

I just took out my storage shelf and I have seen the Ebay speaker kits that fit in to the extreme left and right cubby holes.

What I want to know is why not fit two 5 inch speakers pointing up by cutting two holes in the top of the shelf on each side of the middle but closer to the center than the small cubby holes.

Anyone done this?

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #3

Speaker orientation

Well, you are ahead of me since I have not yet even got my wiring to the rear.
I noticed a duel prong plug near the roll bar mounting plates that I am guessing is for a speaker hook-up. Unfortunately, I have installed the HU myself and I know that there were only two sets of wires leaving the dash harness. If they are speaker plugs, could Porsche be so lazy as not to run the wires?

Its no big deal to find a way to run some wires but I will have to accommodate the fact that the shelf needs to be removed occasionally.

I belive you when you say there is a big difference to orientation. I wanted to avoid the hassle of buying an OEM or similar speaker upgrade set only to then replace the speakers in the kit. I wish they would just sell the plastic parts and let you buy your own.

I thought the 5.25" s would just about go in and that they would give me a big increase in volume, big enough to make it worthwhile. I have also thought about putting a cheese wedge shape mount on top of the shelf that would point the 5.25's up but towards the cabin.

Also, Car Toys has a Boxster subwoofer box that mounts under the passenger side of dash but I have not seen it installed and do not want to use up foot space or give my wife unnecessary thrills!

So what did you finally end up with and did you use the OEM cubby hole inserts and then just change the speakers?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #4

Garage
"foot space or give my wife unnecessary thrills!"

hahah you crack me up lol

you could mount them in a custom box that would come up behide the head rests... effectively using the headrest grills as... speaker grilles! idk just a thought
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #5

If I hadn't already had the speaker box with 4 little worthless speakers. I would have had a custom box made and put some rockin 6x9's back there. But Since It was there I jsut took out the 4 rear speakers and mad the whole in the bracket bigger to fit a 3 1/2 inch. A 4" just didn't fit, at least the Kappas I had gotten. It sounds great now

1.) Jvc kd-hdr50 $159.00 (59 install Bestbuy)
2.) 4" Kappas front speakers, $59 amazon
3.) 3 1/2 refernce series rear speakers $60 (Best buy)

I wish I would had gotten kappas in the rear as they are realy miles apart from the step below. but I have great sound in my Box. I Had to adjust my fade to foward 3 or 4 as the rears hooked into the stereo blew the fronts using the amp,away in power.

My only regret is the bass isn't present to much. I wish I would have changed the doors, but if any of you have ever taken off door panels , they are a pain in the asss to get back on properly and you usually break something. Maybe later.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #6

Which Kappas

Did you end up getting and what wattage were they. There sem to be a few different ones starting at 50 Watts

Thanks for all the advice

D
Old 10-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #7

Fronts=Infinity 429I 150W (Peak) 4 -Inch 2-Way Speaker (Pair)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018SH4TS/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

1st rears i tried Infinity 4629CFP 180W (Peak) 4 x 6 -Inch Custom Fit Two-Way Plate Speakers (Pair)

2nd rears= Infinity - 3-1/2" 2-Way reference series. These sounded awesome but I could not get them to fit no matter what I tried!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8211302&type=product&id=1166236336445

I am probably going to order the 3 1/2 kappas as I am not totally satisfied with the infinity reference series. 105 watts compared to 75, kappas are also 2 an 4 ohms.
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-329CF-Custom-Two-Way-Speakers/dp/B0018SJ4AK/ref=sr_1_31?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1255745084&sr=1-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranderia
Did you end up getting and what wattage were they. There sem to be a few different ones starting at 50 Watts

Thanks for all the advice

D

Old 10-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #8

Way too many hours online...

I too, went crazy researching every possible sonic bliss option.

One night after many hours online even the Wake Board Bazooka Marine Speakers starting looking good. I was like...yea those would look pretty cool mounted on the roll bar. Well maybe if I was sixteen and driving an Alpine Sunbeam at the beach.

urban_legend is offline   Reply With Quote