View Single Post
Old 10-16-2009, 06:50 AM   #8
onshore

Hi Scott and welcome to the forum. Regarding your key there is bad news and more bad news. Your car came with a very good alarm system that is activated and deactivated in a couple of ways. The key you have is a valet key unless it has two or three humps on it that compress when you push them. If it does then it may not be working due to a dead battery in the key. The good news on that is you can replace the battery inexpensively by popping the key apart, the bad news is the key will probably have to be reprogrammed at around $125. If it is a valet key then you will have to buy a new key that can be reprogrammed and that key is about $135 unless you can find a good one on eBay for less and I would make sure it has a return policy if it doesn't work. The alarm system can be activated and deactivated by the door lock and ignition key recognition once the key is inserted in the ignition before 10 seconds elapse so you don't have to pay for the key to be reprogrammed as long as you remember to put the key in the ignition within 10 seconds of getting in the car or the alarm goes off. Before you buy a key check with the dealer to find out if your key has two or three activations. Up to a certain year one hump on the key worked the alarm and door locks and the other opened the trunk in later years (I don't know when) a third hump was added to open the front boot. They're hard to see but there are little icons on the humps. Lastly get a manual for your model year it has all of this information in it. I just went through this so I hope what I experience helps.