Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #1

Coolant, refrigerant and oil suggestions

03 boxster 2.7

I had a fender bender up front damaging a radiator and ac condenser so I need some good suggestions or just to go with oem fluids and also how do u recharge the refrigerant

EUPHORIAworld YouTube

02 allroad 2.7t:: k04 turbos, piggy pipes, custom exhaust, 48% larger intercoolers, p&p's throttle body, samco y boot. & evo ms; d. valves, v flow intake, giac reflash. 402 mod (18mm/15mm f/r) 628 pull, carbon door handles, blacked out side markers, headlight reflector delete, H.D. lip, headers, 42lbs inj, 4 bar f.p.reg, 255 pump, & intake manifold spacers.

&

03 Boxster
billy@EUPHORIAworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #2

did you mess up the front bumper or headlights? good time to upgrade that stuff if you want to apply insurance money to different stuff.. lke GT2/GT3 front bumpers, litronics, etc.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #3

yea i had the good headlights stock, so that sux cus it will be at best a 2k for a set cus i broke the leveler on the pas side

and not goin through insurence (so ouch to my pocket but better for the long run) and looked at a lot of bumpers and i think im gona stay stock cus i couldn't find one i liked without having to buy skirts with it as well to balance out the car

oh but does anyone know where i could find a driver side scoop houseing cheap stock or after market? i pulled it out the wrong way workin on the intake...D'OH!

EUPHORIAworld YouTube

02 allroad 2.7t:: k04 turbos, piggy pipes, custom exhaust, 48% larger intercoolers, p&p's throttle body, samco y boot. & evo ms; d. valves, v flow intake, giac reflash. 402 mod (18mm/15mm f/r) 628 pull, carbon door handles, blacked out side markers, headlight reflector delete, H.D. lip, headers, 42lbs inj, 4 bar f.p.reg, 255 pump, & intake manifold spacers.

&

03 Boxster
Old 10-15-2009, 05:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy@EUPHORIAworld
03 boxster 2.7

I had a fender bender up front damaging a radiator and ac condenser so I need some good suggestions or just to go with oem fluids and also how do u recharge the refrigerant
The OEM coolant is readily available and about $24/gal. Mix it with distilled water only, and you will be fine for many years to come.

The A/C system requires the leak/damage be repaired, then evacuated with a pump before refilling with the correct amount of coolant and lubricant. This is definitely a job for a properly equipped shop………
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #5

thanks JFP in PA

now i think i know this answer but with the leak sealed (the leak being a replacement condenser, so not that bad) but with the new condenser in place and everything buttoned up can the car be started w/o refrigerant? or will that just damage the crap out of the ac unit

EUPHORIAworld YouTube

&

03 Boxster
Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
pk2

Coolant: GM designed the precursor to Porsches cognac but at about $15 a gallon. It to was supposed to be a lifetime thing but it intact could start to gum up under certain circumstances. They got sued, straightened it all up and now everybody makes a version of Dexcool (chevron, Pretsone,you name it)..

if you research it you find it meets the requirements of Porsche and for all practical intents and purposes is the same stuff: no silica, phosphates, low ph, etc. Once it was a bit of a secret, now Xerex offers a n improved version which actually list modern Porsche comparability.

Have fun PK
Old 10-16-2009, 04:52 AM   #7

Quote:
thanks JFP in PA

now i think i know this answer but with the leak sealed (the leak being a replacement condenser, so not that bad) but with the new condenser in place and everything buttoned up can the car be started w/o refrigerant? or will that just damage the crap out of the ac unit
The car can be run without refrigerant, but you should get the system charged ASAP. Whatever you do, do not switch the system on or you will have problems….
Old 10-16-2009, 04:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk2
Coolant: GM designed the precursor to Porsches cognac but at about $15 a gallon. It to was supposed to be a lifetime thing but it intact could start to gum up under certain circumstances. They got sued, straightened it all up and now everybody makes a version of Dexcool (chevron, Pretsone,you name it)..

if you research it you find it meets the requirements of Porsche and for all practical intents and purposes is the same stuff: no silica, phosphates, low ph, etc. Once it was a bit of a secret, now Xerex offers a n improved version which actually list modern Porsche comparability.

Have fun PK
Nice; not even remotely correct, but nice…………..
Old 10-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #9

I changed my coolant this summer when installing the LN low temp t-stat. Purchased the OEM stuff; though a bit pricey, why take chances? Since it gets changed so infrequently, cost really is not an issue.

BTW, I just spent over $30 on Dex-Cool for my wife's Grand Cherokee...Box isn't that much more expensive.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 10-16-2009 at 11:58 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:51 AM   #10

i was thinkin that might be the answer for the coolant, cus it's the same for my audi and to make it last longer mixed in a bit of distilled water to offset the uber high cost

EUPHORIAworld YouTube

&

03 Boxster
Old 10-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #11
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
thanks JFP in PA

The car is smart enough to know that there is no refrigerant (a low pressure cutout switch), so it will not activate the compressor clutch. You can run the car.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
The car is smart enough to know that there is no refrigerant (a low pressure cutout switch), so it will not activate the compressor clutch. You can run the car.

thats f@ckin perfect, wont have to leave my garage for a test run!!! Thnx

i'll hopefully be driving that thing to the collision shop

EUPHORIAworld YouTube

&

03 Boxster