986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Coolant, refrigerant and oil suggestions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/22437-coolant-refrigerant-oil-suggestions.html)

billy@EUPHORIAworld 10-14-2009 04:51 PM

Coolant, refrigerant and oil suggestions

03 boxster 2.7

I had a fender bender up front damaging a radiator and ac condenser so I need some good suggestions or just to go with oem fluids and also how do u recharge the refrigerant

23109VC 10-14-2009 05:00 PM

did you mess up the front bumper or headlights? good time to upgrade that stuff if you want to apply insurance money to different stuff.. lke GT2/GT3 front bumpers, litronics, etc.

billy@EUPHORIAworld 10-14-2009 08:18 PM

yea i had the good headlights stock, so that sux cus it will be at best a 2k for a set cus i broke the leveler on the pas side

and not goin through insurence (so ouch to my pocket but better for the long run) and looked at a lot of bumpers and i think im gona stay stock cus i couldn't find one i liked without having to buy skirts with it as well to balance out the car

oh but does anyone know where i could find a driver side scoop houseing cheap stock or after market? i pulled it out the wrong way workin on the intake...D'OH!

JFP in PA 10-15-2009 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy@EUPHORIAworld
03 boxster 2.7

I had a fender bender up front damaging a radiator and ac condenser so I need some good suggestions or just to go with oem fluids and also how do u recharge the refrigerant

The OEM coolant is readily available and about $24/gal. Mix it with distilled water only, and you will be fine for many years to come.

The A/C system requires the leak/damage be repaired, then evacuated with a pump before refilling with the correct amount of coolant and lubricant. This is definitely a job for a properly equipped shop………

billy@EUPHORIAworld 10-15-2009 02:57 PM

thanks JFP in PA

now i think i know this answer but with the leak sealed (the leak being a replacement condenser, so not that bad) but with the new condenser in place and everything buttoned up can the car be started w/o refrigerant? or will that just damage the crap out of the ac unit

pk2 10-16-2009 12:19 AM

Coolant: GM designed the precursor to Porsches cognac but at about $15 a gallon. It to was supposed to be a lifetime thing but it intact could start to gum up under certain circumstances. They got sued, straightened it all up and now everybody makes a version of Dexcool (chevron, Pretsone,you name it)..

if you research it you find it meets the requirements of Porsche and for all practical intents and purposes is the same stuff: no silica, phosphates, low ph, etc. Once it was a bit of a secret, now Xerex offers a n improved version which actually list modern Porsche comparability.

Have fun PK

JFP in PA 10-16-2009 04:52 AM

Quote:

thanks JFP in PA

now i think i know this answer but with the leak sealed (the leak being a replacement condenser, so not that bad) but with the new condenser in place and everything buttoned up can the car be started w/o refrigerant? or will that just damage the crap out of the ac unit

The car can be run without refrigerant, but you should get the system charged ASAP. Whatever you do, do not switch the system on or you will have problems….

JFP in PA 10-16-2009 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pk2
Coolant: GM designed the precursor to Porsches cognac but at about $15 a gallon. It to was supposed to be a lifetime thing but it intact could start to gum up under certain circumstances. They got sued, straightened it all up and now everybody makes a version of Dexcool (chevron, Pretsone,you name it)..

if you research it you find it meets the requirements of Porsche and for all practical intents and purposes is the same stuff: no silica, phosphates, low ph, etc. Once it was a bit of a secret, now Xerex offers a n improved version which actually list modern Porsche comparability.

Have fun PK

Nice; not even remotely correct, but nice…………..

jmatta 10-16-2009 05:16 AM

I changed my coolant this summer when installing the LN low temp t-stat. Purchased the OEM stuff; though a bit pricey, why take chances? Since it gets changed so infrequently, cost really is not an issue.

BTW, I just spent over $30 on Dex-Cool for my wife's Grand Cherokee...Box isn't that much more expensive.

billy@EUPHORIAworld 10-16-2009 11:51 AM

i was thinkin that might be the answer for the coolant, cus it's the same for my audi and to make it last longer mixed in a bit of distilled water to offset the uber high cost

Paul 10-16-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

thanks JFP in PA

The car is smart enough to know that there is no refrigerant (a low pressure cutout switch), so it will not activate the compressor clutch. You can run the car.

billy@EUPHORIAworld 10-17-2009 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
The car is smart enough to know that there is no refrigerant (a low pressure cutout switch), so it will not activate the compressor clutch. You can run the car.

thats f@ckin perfect, wont have to leave my garage for a test run!!! Thnx

i'll hopefully be driving that thing to the collision shop