Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Porscheectomy

Miata and Boxster Experience

I had the opportunity to take a 2002 Miata up into the mountains outside of Boulder a couple of weeks ago. I drove it for about an hour. I thought I'd share my thoughts. Sorry for the long post, I have alot of thoughts

First, to put this into context, I'm a sports car fan, I couldn't care less about the name on the trunk from a status standpoint. If Hyundai make a great roadster, I'd give it a chance. I like a responsive chassis, high feedback controls, and a car that tells you what's going on underneath you. I'm not into fast quarter mile or stop light drag races. I've had a couple of early Rx-7s and love them. I've also driven a couple of early 911s in addition to my 2000S and love them too. So I'm not biased towards Porsche or Mazda. I think both are marques dedicated to making great driver's cars.

We drove both the Miata and my 2000 Boxster S and swapped cars about half way through a 2 hour drive. I've driven this Miata before on a couple of occasions, but not for any extended trips. When I first sit in the Miata, I feel like I've got just a little less room to maneuver than the Boxster. I'm 6'1" and 180lbs. It's comfortable, cozy. The interior materials are OK. The dashboard has alot of hard textured plastic that doesn't scream quality, but it's wearing really well for the age of the car. The control layout and gauge layout are good for a sports car. Simple, straight forward. This is the 6-speed, 17" wheel model with black on white gauges. Everything looks like it was designed with fun in mind. Very much like my early Rx-7, except the Rx-7 actually has a little nicer padded dashboard and console. I'd prefer a centered tach to the side by side speedo and tach. The seats are leather, and although supportive, they are definitely a little squishier than the Boxster. They fit nicely in any case. The view out over the hood is kinda cool. The 2nd gen Miatas have 3 subtle bulges in the hood, over the headlights and center of the hood. I actually feel a little lower "into" this car than the Boxster, although I don't think that's actually the case.

I LOVE the manual top. Unlatch the hooks at the corners of the windshield and the top flips back. Whoever thought a mechanized top was a necessity on the Porsche is dead wrong. I'd have loved it if Porsche had offered a manual top option. The Miata's top is vinyl, and although it looks nice from 5 feet, canvas rules.

The clutch is springy. It feels like there's just a rubber band attached to the pedal. The low force and diminished clutch feedback is immediately noticeable when coming out the the Boxster. Engagement is a small part of clutch travel and the engine's relatively small torque make take offs jerky at first. It feels disappointing at first, but after about 10 minutes, I got used to it and the feedback came through.

People clamor about the Miata's short shifter. I've read nothing but great things about it. Yes, it's short, and yes, it's light. But the strong mechanical feedback that comes through in the Boxster isn't there. This is another aspect of the car that feels like a toy (as compared to a tool) when you first step into it from the Boxster. This too, feels natural and normal after about 10 minutes behind the wheel. One annoyance, on this 6-speed, reverse is just right of 6th. When shifting from 4th to 5th, it's easy to go too far and have to think about it before letting off a little on the pressure to get into 5th.

You have to be ready for the engine. It's a weakling compared to the Porsche. But it's a rev-able power plant and it makes some pretty nice noises. It has a little buzziness to it at higher revs, but it's happy to get there. The Porsche feels like more than twice as powerful, which is surprising considering the Miata's light weight. Over 4500 RPM, the 3.2L engine just pulls and pulls, the Miata's making good torque in the higher range, but you never feel the surge that you get out of the Porsche.

When you take a Miata up into the mountains, there's alot of revving. The car moves pretty well with engine speed in the 4000-7000 range. It's a push it around kind of car. You rev the heck out of it, you do alot of shifting between 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and you simply direct it where to go. The steering is really nice. Maybe a little lighter than I'd like, and lighter than the boxster, but feedback is true. You can feel the changes in steering force as speeds rise or as corners get tighter.

Cornering is fun. The car's light and you can tell. Toss able is really the best word to describe it. If you're sensitive, you can tell the difference between this and a mid-engine car. It's just a little less willing to rotate at initial steering input. There's never a threat of the rear end loosing grip. There's not enough power to induce oversteer and the suspension is well sorted enough to keep everything in place under the circumstances that I experienced. You have so much control over the car that there's alot of confidence. Because of the relatively lower power, you spend alot of effort pushing it around and forcing it to do what you want. With the Boxster, it's more of an exercise in controlling the car's behavior, like it could get away from you if you let it. Definitely a contrast in driving experience.

The chassis quivers compared to the Boxster. Road bumps send shivers for just maybe a second, but It makes the Boxster feel like a bank vault. It's certainly not bad for a convertible, but really helps to make you respect what Porsche's done.

After about 20 minutes, everything was meshing well. I liked the way the steering felt, the clutch was feeling better and once I got used to revving the heck out of the engine, I got to really like it. So I've got the engine singing at high revs and just guiding the car gently around curves like a hero. Body roll is there, moreso than the M030 in my Boxster, but still well controlled and not excessive. The suspension never missteps, double wishbones all around an 17" wheels keep everything well planted. "Hey, this is really pretty fun!" Then I look down and notice that I'm barely over the speed limit.

This, to me, is the real magic of this car. It's fun ALL the time, at speeds that are safe to travel. You don't need to go excessively fast to enjoy it's charm. Things don't change much with speed. With the Boxster, it seems to come alive at a certain speed, with the Miata, it's always alive.

Overall, I like the toy-like aspects of the Miata, it seems like it would be a great daily driver for someone who likes to drive but has to deal with traffic and stop and go. It would still make the trip fun. And it's a good partner in the twistys. The Boxster is much more serious. It's got more solid controls, more solid chassis, much more power. Both great cars, and both alot of fun. I have a personal favorite, I own it, but I can see why someone else would pick the Miata.

Obviously these are cars from two very different pricepoints and most people wouldn't cross shop. But comparisons are fun, and I had an opportunity to jump from one to the other, which isn't always possible.

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-18-2009 at 05:43 AM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #2

I had both until recently (and plan to own another in the future). Both fun in different ways like you said

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #3

nice write up! I used to own an NA miata (95). boy do I regret selling it. was great fun and 100% reliable. drove it to 110k miles and never replaced anything but timing belt due to age--it never broke--not that it would matter since it's a non-interference engine.

one comment: I'm actually cross-shopping these two cars. I could afford a new 911. But a bit like you, I care more about how enjoyable the car is. So I will test drive the 2009 Miata which supposedly has brought back the handling of the earlier cars (less roll/dive than first years of NC) and see how it compares.

But if you never drive them back to back, you probably don't appreciate how much slower the Miata is. I ended up selling mine because I drove a faster car one day and was suddently disappointed in the pick up of my miata and sold it. Dumb move. I guess ignorance truly is bliss.
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #4

For me at 6'4", the Miata is not an option without racing seats. That's the only reason I ruled it out when shopping.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #5

I owned two NA's - a 90 "B" package and a 94M Edition. The 90 was smashed by a falling tree in a tropical storm and I sold the 94 after I bought my Boxster. Here are the details if anyone is interested. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/342258

I really enjoyed the Miatas and due to their low purchase and maintenance costs they are a lot of fun for the money. I wish I could have kept my Miata but it is hard to justify two sports cars.

I had two reasons for switching: (1) I really needed to scratch my Boxster itch and (2) I had too many close calls with people in SUV's and pick ups almost hitting me. The Miata just leaves you feeling more vulnerable than the Boxster.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #6

Thanks for sharing your impressions of both the Boxster S and the Miata. It's always fun to see comparisons between two sports cars I greatly enjoy.

Right now I'm on my third Miata (an '06 Sport) and have been a Boxster S owner for less than a week. Thus far I haven't been able to do an exhaustive comparison of the Boxster and the Miata but can share some initial impressions.

In spite of the fact that the Miata is front engine/rear drive and the Boxster is midengine/rear drive, the cars are otherwise similar in many ways. Especially when comparing the current-generation (NC) Miata to the Boxster, the cars' dimensions are similar. Both are fun to drive even at low speeds and appear to be well-built. But given the fact that the Boxster is much more powerful and solid and is quite a bit heavier than the Miata, I'd go so far as to describe the Boxster as a Miata on steroids. It's at higher speeds and on the open road where the Boxster seems to really shine. I haven't had a chance to autox the Boxster or drive it on a road course yet, but I imagine it will perform very well.

I'm glad I'm able to own both cars because I don't know which I'd pick if I had to choose between the two of them.

'01 Boxster S, '06 Cayman S, '10 Mazdaspeed3, '06 MX-5 Miata Sport, '93 NX2000, '92 MR2
scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:38 AM   #7

Just my opinion but I think the clutch in the Boxster sucks. It's not adjustable, it has an incredibly vague feel and requires infinite attention and focus for a smooth takeoff engagement. The Fiat was a cabled, direct mechanical clutch, the difference is like holding hands with gloves on or off. With the Fiat, you can finesse and judge gear engagement in a way no hydraulic clutch can match. I love my Boxster, it's overall performance is awesome but it's a bit pathetic that a 38 year old design, clicks into every gear and clutches in a way not available on a modern Porsche. The 944 was the same way, that rubber hub design was lousy.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 11-16-2009 at 02:42 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:35 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribe
Thanks for sharing your impressions of both the Boxster S and the Miata. It's always fun to see comparisons between two sports cars I greatly enjoy.

Right now I'm on my third Miata (an '06 Sport) and have been a Boxster S owner for less than a week. Thus far I haven't been able to do an exhaustive comparison of the Boxster and the Miata but can share some initial impressions.

In spite of the fact that the Miata is front engine/rear drive and the Boxster is midengine/rear drive, the cars are otherwise similar in many ways. Especially when comparing the current-generation (NC) Miata to the Boxster, the cars' dimensions are similar. Both are fun to drive even at low speeds and appear to be well-built. But given the fact that the Boxster is much more powerful and solid and is quite a bit heavier than the Miata, I'd go so far as to describe the Boxster as a Miata on steroids. It's at higher speeds and on the open road where the Boxster seems to really shine. I haven't had a chance to autox the Boxster or drive it on a road course yet, but I imagine it will perform very well.

I'm glad I'm able to own both cars because I don't know which I'd pick if I had to choose between the two of them.
The best way I could find to describe it was the Miata is a toy, the Boxster is a tool. Both are very rewarding to drive.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Just my opinion but I think the clutch in the Boxster sucks. It's not adjustable, it has an incredibly vague feel and requires infinite attention and focus for a smooth takeoff engagement. The Fiat was a cabled, direct mechanical clutch, the difference is like holding hands with gloves on or off. With the Fiat, you can finesse and judge gear engagement in a way no hydraulic clutch can match. I love my Boxster, it's overall performance is awesome but it's a bit pathetic that a 38 year old design, clicks into every gear and clutches in a way not available on a modern Porsche. The 944 was the same way, that rubber hub design was lousy.
I've never found modulation to be a problem in my Boxster. To me it's very communicative.

I don't think anyone uses a cable-actuated clutch anymore.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #10

I love both cars. Have had extended experience with the MX-5 (2 month loaner) and I've pretty well made up my mind that come spring, I'm gonna try and trade my pristine '99 Boxster for an '06+ MX-5 even up. If a dealer will do it, I'm sold.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 AM   #11

I have owned two Boxsters and one 2006 MX-5 long term. The Mazda MX5 is definitely a well engineered car, lighter, more responsive etc, but it wore on me over time as a daily driver. Quality of materials were not close to Boxster, seats became deformed, little trim pieces broke, top rattled. Ride felt cheaper and less controlled. The motor in the new MX-5's is sort of truck like too. Doesnt really make pleasant sounds and top end is nonexistent. Pretty much makes all its power from about 3500 RPM to about 6000 RPM. I'm more of a Honda engine fan.

Boxster to me just offers much more satisfying ride for daily driver. It handles poor surfaces better etc. Motor revs nicely and smoothly no truck motor feel like the MX5. Interior is much nicer to live with as well.

I actually traded the MX5 for car I'm much happier with, a 2007 Nissan 350Z GT Roadster. Now thats a car that is fun and easy to live with day to day! Talking about a nueteral great handling vehicle. I ran the 350Z roadster off showroom floor on Infineon and I was hanging tail out with reckless abandon! Wicked fun car out of the box with 307 HP. Boat loads of torque makes commuting an easy task. Funniest thing is I get far more compliments on the 350Z convertable than I ever did with Boxsters or the MX5.

Last edited by grantsfo; 11-16-2009 at 10:13 AM.
grantsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsfo
I actually traded the MX5 for car I'm much happier with, a 2007 Nissan 350Z GT Roadster. Now thats a car that is fun and easy to live with day to day!
That's interesting that you went from an MX-5 to a 350Z GT Roadster. I traded in a 2001 Miata on an '05 350Z GT Roadster, which I later traded in on my '06 MX-5. The Z was an awesome car, no question about that, and I put almost 30,000 miles on it the year I owned it. But I missed the lightweight, tossable feeling of the Miata (especially during autox) and always kicked myself for trading in the '01 Miata. And it's largely because of that remorse for trading the '01 Miata and my enjoyment of the '06 MX-5 that I'm probably going to keep the car for a good long time. I'll probably do the same with the Boxster so long as it doesn't turn out to be a money pit.

I'm glad you mentioned the 350Z, especially the Roadster ... in a lot of ways the Boxster feels like a hybrid of the 350Z Roadster and the Miata. The Boxster has the lightweight (but not flimsy), tossable feel of a Miata but also manages to have the solidity of the 350Z. The Boxster is also roughly halfway between the Miata and the Z Roadster in terms of weight and power.

'01 Boxster S, '06 Cayman S, '10 Mazdaspeed3, '06 MX-5 Miata Sport, '93 NX2000, '92 MR2
scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
JTP

I saw an interesting Miata last year. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
I saw an interesting Miata last year. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
I'm sorry to say that your contribution may say more about you than the topic at hand.

For me, the Boxster has been a good car, not a great car, and certainly far from the pinnacle.

Since the day I got it, I've always considered it to be just another stop on the journey, but never the destination, afterall, what fun would that be?

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #15
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
I'm sorry to say that your contribution may say more about you than the topic at hand.

Well, it was just a joke no harm meant. That car pulled up next to me when I was visiting San Diego last year. I actually think the Miata is a decent little car, a capable fun sports car like my old 914s.

As an engineer I appreciate good design in all kinds of cars and as a person I appreciate all kinds of people too.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:36 AM   #16
mts

Thanks for the fun comparison write up. I own a couple Miatas in addition to the Boxster S and have always found them very fun to drive.
2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #17

I currently own a 2005 Boxster S and a 2001 Miata that has been turbo charged and set up for the track (though it is street legal and makes a very fun daily driver). I truly love both cars. I feel very spoiled to have both cars. I think my wife agrees that I am spoiled to own both cars!

If I had to choose one car, it would be the Boxster S because it is such a tremendous balance of sport, comfort and refinement. It feels like it was crafted out of granite. It is truly a wonderful car.

My Miata is 100% fun in a way that the Boxster just can not duplicate. It has 240 hp at the rear wheels with somewhere over 200 lbs of torque. It is a little quicker than the Boxster, but it feels WAY QUICKER! The first reaction that everyone has when driving my Miata is "Holy ****************". When the turbo kicks in (which is just about always), you just can't stop grinning! It feels faster than it is which I really like. The Miata is no where near as refined as Boxster. It feels a lot like a go cart. It also feels way smaller and lighter (which of course it is)

My Miata is set up for the track with a roll bar, coil overs, taller gearing for the rear end, track pads, etc. The Boxster S's I've run up against at the track simply can not keep up. I'm really tempted to bring my Boxster S to the track some day. I just know it will be a blast. I love the way the Boxster rotates and the Chassis is so sweet.

I like the toy vs. tool analogy. It is pretty accurate.

I like to make a comparison of my smile from one car to the other. When I'm driving the Boxster S, I have the smile of someone who is enjoying fine wine (or anything else that make you feel like you are experiencing excellence.) When I'm driving the Miata, I have the silly smile of kid on a roller coaster.

They are completely different experiences. The Boxster temps you to drive hard, but the Miata begs you!
greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg9ball
I currently own a 2005 Boxster S and a 2001 Miata that has been turbo charged and set up for the track (though it is street legal and makes a very fun daily driver). I truly love both cars. I feel very spoiled to have both cars. I think my wife agrees that I am spoiled to own both cars!

If I had to choose one car, it would be the Boxster S because it is such a tremendous balance of sport, comfort and refinement. It feels like it was crafted out of granite. It is truly a wonderful car.

My Miata is 100% fun in a way that the Boxster just can not duplicate. It has 240 hp at the rear wheels with somewhere over 200 lbs of torque. It is a little quicker than the Boxster, but it feels WAY QUICKER! The first reaction that everyone has when driving my Miata is "Holy ****************". When the turbo kicks in (which is just about always), you just can't stop grinning! It feels faster than it is which I really like. The Miata is no where near as refined as Boxster. It feels a lot like a go cart. It also feels way smaller and lighter (which of course it is)

My Miata is set up for the track with a roll bar, coil overs, taller gearing for the rear end, track pads, etc. The Boxster S's I've run up against at the track simply can not keep up. I'm really tempted to bring my Boxster S to the track some day. I just know it will be a blast. I love the way the Boxster rotates and the Chassis is so sweet.

I like the toy vs. tool analogy. It is pretty accurate.

I like to make a comparison of my smile from one car to the other. When I'm driving the Boxster S, I have the smile of someone who is enjoying fine wine (or anything else that make you feel like you are experiencing excellence.) When I'm driving the Miata, I have the silly smile of kid on a roller coaster.

They are completely different experiences. The Boxster temps you to drive hard, but the Miata begs you!
Good to hear from someone else who has experience w/an F/I Miata. I had a '00 w/an FM2 turbo setup (sounds a lot like yours). For a time I had it and an '03 996 c2 side-by-side. The Miata was far more fun @ legal speeds, and I actually think it could have beaten the 996 to 60-70mph. Turbo Miatae are incredibly fun.

I now have an '08 987s. Much more mature feeling car, as others have said. Brings back a bit of the sense of accessible performance the Miata had, but not all. I do long for the zany sleeper performance that the F/I Miata provided.
ex: 03 996c2
stiles_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiles_s
Good to hear from someone else who has experience w/an F/I Miata. I had a '00 w/an FM2 turbo setup (sounds a lot like yours). For a time I had it and an '03 996 c2 side-by-side. The Miata was far more fun @ legal speeds, and I actually think it could have beaten the 996 to 60-70mph. Turbo Miatae are incredibly fun.

I now have an '08 987s. Much more mature feeling car, as others have said. Brings back a bit of the sense of accessible performance the Miata had, but not all. I do long for the zany sleeper performance that the F/I Miata provided.

You know its probably just a matter of time before you get another one. It gets in your blood! They reveal the inner child.
greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:13 AM   #20
mts

I still track my FI Miata. It only has about 190whp, but it only weighs about 2,050lbs and it's a real hoot on the track. Here's a picture in the paddock at a PCA event at Road Atlanta last fall parked next to some cheap car.

2004 550 SE #1081 of 1953 (sold)
1997 911 Targa (sold)
mts is offline   Reply With Quote