Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #21

I saw this GTR at an autocross about a month ago. I wasn't sure what to expect since the car is rather big and definately not a lightweight, but the driver did well with it and posted very respectable times. He was a nice fella and just came by and started talking to me and offered me a ride along, but we were in the same heat so I never got a chance. There is so much hype and controversy surrounding the car it definately draws a crowd especially from the younger crowd. I wouldn't mind riding in one....let alone driving it.

Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #22

Just a pic of the one I get to play with.

Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #23

Everything I have read about the GTR is very impressive. Someday, maybe someday!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:36 AM   #24

a very limited audience given the styling for a non-sports car type. I don't think this car is going to hold up well on the second hand market which means its going to be an insane bargain at some point.
I'll wait for the R8 to come down some more.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:42 AM   #25

I do love the r8 now that it will come with some big power.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #26

the launch control is not made for hard acceleration of the line. read it somewhere in a magazine. thats why trannys were breaking all the time. and thats why now for 2010 it lowered the rpms it revs to so the tranny lasts longer. i think. been a long weekend of drinking.
billybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybill
the launch control is not made for hard acceleration of the line. read it somewhere in a magazine. thats why trannys were breaking all the time. and thats why now for 2010 it lowered the rpms it revs to so the tranny lasts longer. i think. been a long weekend of drinking.
Yeah I've been reading about the tranny failures as well. It seems to be the achilles heel of the GTR and Nissan is not helping owners that are having these issues because they took it to a track or they used launch control..ect ect. If this car is built for the track like Nissan says it is, then they should stand behind their product.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM   #28

I may eat these words...but I'd be willing to bet we won't hear of such from Porsche's PDK Launch Control---even when it comes out for the turbo! Or at least, if it does happen, they will take care of customers. They will have done substantial worst case testing, then stripped all the test cars apart to find out where the weak points are, re-engineer them, then re-test. Afterall, Porsche invented this technology what...20 years ago? and all we've had is tiptronic since then for non-clutch folks. You can bet they haven't been sitting idle all this time.

They designed the PDK even in the S trim of both models to be able to do 40+ back to back "launches" via launch control with no ill efffects. That's pretty severe; albeit, with a bit less horsepower.

If they can engineer similar specifications for the Turbo/GT2/GT3 PDK, the acceleration times will put the GTR to shame (tho the price will too unfortunately).

Given the Boxster S is now returning 0-60 times in the 4.1-4.3 sec regime, the turbo 911 (given it has AWD) will be a sub 3-second car!
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:52 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCGuy
I may eat these words...but I'd be willing to bet we won't hear of such from Porsche's PDK Launch Control---even when it comes out for the turbo! Or at least, if it does happen, they will take care of customers.

They will have done substantial worst case testing, then stripped all the test cars apart to find out where the weak points are, re-engineer them, then re-test. You can bet they haven't been sitting idle all this time.

Exactly!!! ....Porsche's legendary level of commitment to "customer service" for the recurrent RMS, and IMS issues we all face

.....(All these years)it seems like Porsche is handing over the the R&D of these well documented issues to 3rd party engineers like Mr. Raby, and his crew

The very reason why another auto maker (Lexus) always tops customer satisfaction surveys--commitment to quality,and customer service.

Last edited by spine911; 07-14-2009 at 07:57 AM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
The very reason why another auto maker (Lexus) always tops customer satisfaction surveys--commitment to quality,and customer service.
That is where I believe that youre wrong Spine... overall satisfaction includes everything and Porsche tops all the other brands.

http://www.motorauthority.com/new-study-finds-porsche-the-most-recommended-brand.html

There Really is No Substitute.

Last edited by PlayersExpress; 07-14-2009 at 09:54 AM.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayersExpress

There Really is No Substitute.
True, that is why im an avid Porschephile regardless of the accompanying gremlins.

It's just interesting to note that even though on that May 09 MotorAuthority/ AutoPacific "Most Recommended cars" list which Porsche topped...Lexus/Toyota dominated the list with 8 cars. It is a documented fact that Porsche's customer base (that's us) has always been the most loyal amongst any other car manufacturer...

I just wish that Porsche is MORE proactive with the well known RMS/IMS issues it's loyal customer base are experiencing.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/06/22/lexus-leads-hyundai-improves-while-infiniti-drops-in-j-d-powe/

Last edited by spine911; 07-14-2009 at 05:29 PM.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #32

I think I have their business plan figured out, and why they do little for the IMS RMS issues....

1. It allows the private sector to prosper.

2. It frees up men and materials for newer, better innovations.

3. If you think of Porsches in a different term, lets say for easy comparison Marijuana ( I am not promoting the useage or sale of drugs, its for comparative reasons alone). Porsche sells the best kind of weed, but as with the best you have to pay for it. Even if you get some soso or not so good things in your stuff from Porsche.. its still the best and youre addicted. They know you will keep coming back for more no matter the cost or problems.

Ironically, Ive never done drugs before.... other than prescription.

At least Im addicted to the best... and not Mustangs like my mother (shes had 14 of them so far )
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #33

Food for thought, what if Porsche outsourced the engine to say Honda/Toyota and leave the rest to internal R&D? Lotus obviously learned their lesson....

It will be interesting to see what happens for the 2011 Boxster which will have a 4 cylinder turbo. Will they really remove two cylinders from the current motor (it was engineered for such) and build a whole new motor? Or take the already brilliant powerplants from Volkswagen?

I guess the question is, IMS/RMS issues aside, do Porsche's engines have better performance than ones Honda or Toyota builds? hp/L, flexibility, weight, heat transfer, fuel economy etc... What if Honda designed a 3.4L boxer engine? how would it compare? Or would Porsche lose their "pedigree" if they did that?

I read an article recently that said there has never been a single warranty claim for a Honda VTEC engine--not one failure. Amazing. Why not outsource a truly bulletproof motor and keep the rest all Porsche. I wonder how it would influence your decision as a consumer? I certainly would have more piece of mind---but it would absolutely, positively have to make the same glorious noise!!!

Last edited by CRCGuy; 07-14-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCGuy
Food for thought, what if Porsche outsourced the engine to say Honda/Toyota and leave the rest to internal R&D? Lotus obviously learned their lesson....
So long as it made that amazing growl, I'd be completely fine with it. I don't want my Boxster sounding all screechy like an S2000 (which is actually the 2nd biggest reason why I didn't get the Honda over the Box).
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:37 PM   #35

Can you honestly see the Porsche Board allowing the company to go to a Japanese manufacturer for its next generation engine???? C'mon, who are you kidding.
Porsche believe they are THE premium car manufacturer bar non, probably vying with Ferrari as the dogs nuts in performance cars. Pride would not allow this to happen.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #36

I know I know....but they can keep Porsche under the lid of their flagship--the 911. I just want the Honda one in a Boxster
Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #37

I hate this all.. LOL I would love a s2k motor in my boxster. My brother has one that just laid down 421 at the wheels and it sounds great. They don't have to sound like a honda. Get real stainless stuff and you are driving a sweet sounding car. As for the rest of the car. Blah.. I hate it.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #38

I see no reason you can't bolt a honda motor and transmission into a boxster given the right amount of money and time.

Some guy wants to shoehorn a Corvette motor in his and says he's doing it, so a Honda motor should be even easier since it's probably 2/3 of the size.

I doubt Porsche will ever use a Japanese motor in their cars. They most certainly would keep the cash inside the country and put a VW or Audi motor in one though if it made financial sense to do so.

Just get ready for the onslaught of criticism from the Porsche purists who will say Porsche has sold out and the Boxster with a VW or Audi TT four banger in it is not really a Porsche any longer.

Actually, the water-cooled boys are still singing a sad tune about the new breed of Pcars and they'll just make the non-Porsche power plant model their second verse.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:52 PM   #39

^ I'll take the S2000 gear box and you take the engine.

I wish my Boxster came with a hybrid diesel engine....
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
^ I'll take the S2000 gear box and you take the engine.
You're right about that. I have a MY08 S2000. The gearbox really is perfect. I'm spoiled forever...