View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #33
CRCGuy

Food for thought, what if Porsche outsourced the engine to say Honda/Toyota and leave the rest to internal R&D? Lotus obviously learned their lesson....

It will be interesting to see what happens for the 2011 Boxster which will have a 4 cylinder turbo. Will they really remove two cylinders from the current motor (it was engineered for such) and build a whole new motor? Or take the already brilliant powerplants from Volkswagen?

I guess the question is, IMS/RMS issues aside, do Porsche's engines have better performance than ones Honda or Toyota builds? hp/L, flexibility, weight, heat transfer, fuel economy etc... What if Honda designed a 3.4L boxer engine? how would it compare? Or would Porsche lose their "pedigree" if they did that?

I read an article recently that said there has never been a single warranty claim for a Honda VTEC engine--not one failure. Amazing. Why not outsource a truly bulletproof motor and keep the rest all Porsche. I wonder how it would influence your decision as a consumer? I certainly would have more piece of mind---but it would absolutely, positively have to make the same glorious noise!!!

Last edited by CRCGuy; 07-14-2009 at 11:09 PM.
CRCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote