Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #41
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by attasvg
Great job!

I put one on my 99. Easy job - no adjustments, other than the play in the bolts. Had to lift the frame a little while tightening it.

I did have to change out the transmissions, control relay and re-wire though, since this is a 99, and that WAS a hassle. Very much worth it, though. Since I had to get a new relay I got a SmartTOP relay and the comfort of just hitting a button while driving in/out of my driveway, no more holding the button or having to chop the top, is fantastic! :dance:

I paid $2000 for the top w/frame, and the top actually has more wear marks than my 99 top though. Seems like you got a really good deal.

Atle
Hey thanks. Yes, I also had some minor adjustments needed for the 3 bolts on each side. There is quite a bit of play in the positioning of the bolts as you tighten them down. We first tightened the frame too forward, as the top latch hook would touch the windstop upon closing/opening the top, so we then loosened the bolts, pulled the frame backwards as much as it would go, and then retightened the bolts. No more issues.

The top I got didn't have any wear marks at all, so I got lucky there I guess. It's really neat that you got it to work with your 99.... I think you are the first to get that accomplished! Good for you. I just love the new glass top!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #42

Mod complete with lots of photos

I bought the top from LA Porsche Dismantler (great people) then paid a tech to install it. It was a plug and play swap;

BEFORE;

AFTER:

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

DONOR CAR

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
When did the Version B start?

"Version B" transmissions were integrated into the assembly line sometime around May or June 1999, so that 2000 Boxsters and later years should all have them.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #44
Porscheectomy

I wonder if they changed the top on the 987 or if it's compatible with the 986.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:55 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I bought the top from LA Porsche Dismantler (great people) then paid a tech to install it. It was a plug and play swap;
Do you have any pictures from a front quarter? Since that third bow is moved forward a bit, and that 4th bow is in there, I think it would change the way the top looks from profile or front quarter. I think it would give the top a bit more rounded look at the rear.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
I wonder if they changed the top on the 987 or if it's compatible with the 986.
A 987 top will DEFINITELY not fit a 986.

Regards, Maurice.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #47
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
Do you have any pictures from a front quarter? Since that third bow is moved forward a bit, and that 4th bow is in there, I think it would change the way the top looks from profile or front quarter. I think it would give the top a bit more rounded look at the rear.
Here's a few front quarter views:

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 05-23-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #48

Yeah, it definitely seems to have a more rounded look rather than the chopped off look of the earlier tops.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 PM   #49

More of the removable hardtop look.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:38 PM   #50

Where in california is this dismantler loacated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W.

BEFORE;

AFTER:

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

DONOR CAR

Old 10-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #51

Los Angeles.

They aren't cheap. I found mine on the Rennlist.org site, but had been posting ads on the Boxsterspec websites since those converting their Boxsters to spec racers take off their soft tops in order to run with mandated hard tops. The dismantlers are getting around $2,000 for their '03-'04 tops. I paid $800 for mine and sold my old top to a forum member for $400. Still my favorite hack.

Last edited by Thumper; 04-24-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #52

What are the 2003/4 OEM glass dimensions?

Did you ever get around to measuring the 2003/4 OEM glass window in your soft top? I am curious as well. I would like to get a feel for how much bigger the OEM glass is than GAHH or Robbins. Thanks!

Also, any one have a good source for 2003/4 convertible tops with the 4-bow frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I can measure for you next time I go to my garage, but I don't think the main appeal of the 03-04 window is the size of the window. I think the main appeal is that it doesn't limit engine access, with the larger glass area and OEM fit/look as secondary. As for whether or not worth doing, I think that's a function of what price you can source it for...if found at similar to price of GAHH or a few hundred higher, I think it's a no brainer. If much higher, then maybe not.

Another thing is that it is actually a lot easier to just swap the entire top frame than stripping off your old top from the frame and installing a GAHH over the old frame. That would usually take at least twice the time to do vs. just swapping out a top frame. The exception would be if you had a pre-2000 model, in which case you'd also have to modify your top relay/transmission set up.
mark.montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #53
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Yes, the OEM glass window measures 35" by 12".

Old 03-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #54

Garage
I just joined the OEM glass rear window club!

I had read this post about putting the 03/04 OEM top onto an older Boxster and I was very interested because I like to drive with the top down from early Spring to late Fall and I have already had to replace a cracked plastic window. I looked every so often but I could not find a 03/04 top, especially at a reasonable price.
A few weeks back I saw an 04 top/frame assembly for sale on eBay from a low mileage car that was being converted to a track car. I bought it and it showed up last week so I had the window tinted and then I put it on this weekend. I followed the excellent directions from Boxtaboy and Schoir (thanks guys!!) and had it done in 3-4 hours without rushing. The latch hook does touch the windstop while closing so (again following Boxtaboy's tip) I will have to adjust the frame back a little, but otherwise it works perfectly.
So far all I have is a cell phone picture.
I would highly recommend this mod to anyone with a plastic window.

On a side note, I will have a 2002 black top/frame (has the headliner) with a 2 year old plastic window for sale. PM me if interested
Attached Images

MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #55

Lucky break! What did that top and frame cost you, if you don't mind me asking.

Looks good.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #56
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN 986
I had read this post about putting the 03/04 OEM top onto an older Boxster and I was very interested because I like to drive with the top down from early Spring to late Fall and I have already had to replace a cracked plastic window. I looked every so often but I could not find a 03/04 top, especially at a reasonable price.
A few weeks back I saw an 04 top/frame assembly for sale on eBay from a low mileage car that was being converted to a track car. I bought it and it showed up last week so I had the window tinted and then I put it on this weekend. I followed the excellent directions from Boxtaboy and Schoir (thanks guys!!) and had it done in 3-4 hours without rushing. The latch hook does touch the windstop while closing so (again following Boxtaboy's tip) I will have to adjust the frame back a little, but otherwise it works perfectly.
So far all I have is a cell phone picture.
I would highly recommend this mod to anyone with a plastic window.

On a side note, I will have a 2002 black top/frame (has the headliner) with a 2 year old plastic window for sale. PM me if interested
Congrats! It's still my fav mod on my 01 Boxster...

Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #57

wow... so i guess the 03/04 will fit. i was also told that it would ABSOLUTELY not fit. so i was debating on the aftermarket glass windows. also i had concerns of tinting the back window and it getting scatched everytime it's lowered into it's compartment. thoughts?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #58

Garage
tuanle16 -
Yes, it definitely fits! We still have about 20" of snow on the ground so it may be a while before I get to drive it, but I can't wait to raise and lower the top without worrying about the plastic window cracking.

bobiam -
I paid a little over a thousand shipped. There were a couple very small marks on the frame, but they are not very obvious after I touched them up. Other than that the top is in nearly perfect condition.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 AM   #59

great! congrats! looks awesome.

so now i have to start looking for one too. what exactly do i need to ask for? ie..what encompasses the "complete" top so that i don't get it and realize i needed another part.

-tuan
Old 03-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16
great! congrats! looks awesome.

so now i have to start looking for one too. what exactly do i need to ask for? ie..what encompasses the "complete" top so that i don't get it and realize i needed another part.

-tuan
Tuan:

All the parts you need (with part numbers) are listed here:

http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga'03-'04glasstopandframeona'97

Regards, Maurice.