Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #1

Might get a 986/987, what to look for?

Hey, new here, and I might need some help!

So my dad wants to get a Boxster after test driving it a couple of weeks ago. He liked the car very much (05 Boxster) and now he's somewhat serious in getting one. His budget only permits him to get an 03-04 986 or a high mile 05 987. He found an 05 Boxster today for ~$22k but with 52,000 miles already. He definitely wants the 987 but will still consider the "facelifted"(?) 986. I would want him to get the S version, but they are pretty rare on the used car market, and if they are for sale, they are for a lot more money.

Here's my question, are there any things that we should look out for when testing these cars? This would be his first Porsche, if ever, so we are kind of clueless with them. He said that the 987 he saw today was still in very good condition (exterior), but he wasn't able to drive it. Would a car with 52,000 miles be a problem in the near future? Also, how much maintenance costs are we supposed to expect? Hoping to hear from you guys, TIA! By the way, I just finished Mike's guide to buying a boxster, but I'm still hoping for some of your opinions.

Ron

Oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #2

Before jumping in, I would highly recommend you spend hours and days reading the posts on this website, as well as some others (www.renntech.org for example). There many items to be aware of before becomming an owner, just as with any major purchase. These are wonderful driver's cars, unlike most others on the road. But with most anything, they are not faultless. Always buy the newest and best example you can afford. Don't spend every last dime on the car, because any will need maintenance or repairs. Some prefer the newer 987 over the 986...I personally like my '02 S.

An educated buyer has the best advantage in this market; there are lots of cars available, so be very choosey.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #3

^ Thanks! I was reading on here for a bit now and became somewhat concerned that the engine can't be rebuilt (?), and once an engine fails, it needs to be replaced. Is this problem common to a specific engine in the 986/987? It is alarming to know that once and engine has the IMS failure, replacing it is the only solution.
Oofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #4

These engines can be rebuilt to higher standards than the factory produced...refer to board sponsor www.flat6innovations.com for answers.

Years ago, Porsche did not want to rebuild the engines and would replace defective ones with remanufactured. The engines still had the inherit problems of the original, so all you were doing is swapping for another period of time. Jake Raby's rebuilds address all these weaknesses and provide a solid engine from day one. Of course, Porsche produced thousands of the M96 for both the 986, 996 and newer cars; the failure rate is quite low, though not without disregard.

The key to these engines is frequent oil changes; do not follow the extended schedules as originally published. If oil is changed every 5-6k miles, many of the failures associated with oil breakdown/contamination should be reduced.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #5

Wow, the price has dropped a lot! I bought my '05 with 52K miles for 26K. I have put 10K miles in 6 mo. and its still running strong. I would look for dealer stamps in the owners manual and or receipts from previous owners.

check out tires and brakes for wear. I have replaced Brake pads, fluid, serp. Belt, oil + filter. I will be finishing the 60K maintenance with plugs, air filter and I also need tires.

All in all I don't think that's too much to ask for 60K+ miles.

I daily driven car seems to be happy motor wise. Mine loves to run to redline and dyno'd at very healthy numbers.

Your costs would include 60K maintinence, possibly brakes and tires and fluids. A PPI would clear up exactly what will need to be replaced in the near future. It can get expensive if you take it to the dealer, but can also be used as negotiation when buying.

I personally tend towards higher milage cars. As long as they feel tight and were well taken care of miles just come with the territory. Besides... I don't feel bad daily driving 60+ miles a day on a pristine low milage car.

2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote