Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #1

Trickle Charger Question

So this winter when I put the Boxster in storage I plan on hooking up a trickle charger. I was wondering, can I hook up the charger to the battery permanently (wired to the terminals) and simply plug it in when I need to. The trickle charger that I have has clips to hook up to the terminals which I was wanting to cut off and wire it directly to the terminals. So if I hook it up like that and leave the trickle charger connected all the time, including when I drive it, will this hurt the trickle charger or my battery?

Do most of you guys use the cigarette method?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steve

JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #2

This is not the popular approach around these parts, but this is what I do: I've got an old (15 years?) Sears trickle charger. I take the car battery cover off and leave it off during the winter (even on those infrequent occasions when I drive her). 'Bout once a month, I hook up the charger and leave it on overnight, then unhook it for another month.

Not particularly sophisticated, but it's worked fine so far (two winters).
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
EE3racing

I can't see how mounting the charger would hurt anything, (except your 0-60 times due to 1/2 pound extra weight). Some chargers are designed to permanently attach, you see it done in boats way more than cars. I'm not sure why you want to make it permanent, I think the more important issue is whether the unit is a float charger which automatically ceases when the battery is at peak then resumes charging only after a given amount of battery voltage drop. I leave the float charger on all winter, never had a problem in many years of doing so.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #4

Here's the battery tender I just bought:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871219000P

It comes with three different types of attachments - cigarette lighter, clamps and rings that fit on the battery cable bolts. All three hook to the end of the charger using a connector.

I haven't decided which to use, but the rings that fit on the battery cable bolts looks like the best solution. I've had problems with devices that attach to the cigarette lighter popping out of my Boxster. It seems like the cigarette lighter in the Boxster is slightly smaller than in other cars.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #5

Garage
I'm not a very popular poster these days but this is what I do. I have three Battery Tenders (that’s the products name) for my car, bike and quad. Their an automatic battery maintainer that keeps you battery fully charged, without overcharging, and you can leave them plugged in all winter long. The Battery Tender will come with both clips and stud mounted wires. Use the stud mounts for positive/permanent attachment. The wires are about 2' in length with a polarity plug on one end. Once attached you can close up your battery cover and run the wire out between the hood and windshield. Now you can close your hood so the hood light won't be on and the wire will be sticking out. Plug the Battery Tender into a wall socket and then plug in the charging wire and place it on a shop towel on your winshield wiper arm. The lights will tell you its charging or in stand by. Plug it in when ever your car is going to sit for a while. You won't have to keep a door open or window rolled down or your hood open.

This will save your battery and extend its life. You can get one at any auto parts store, remember this is not just a trickle charger.

http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=2&osCsid=886ba73f788ced70045b410e0805a318

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 11-02-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:28 AM   #6

Thanks guys, a lot of good ideas!

-Steve
Pyramid 4 channel amp
Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowndad
Thanks guys, a lot of good ideas!

-Steve
Although a little on the high side, I just purchased the Porsche Tequipment charger unit and love it.

Left my key in the ignition a couple weekends ago and battery was completely dead. Bought the charger and it took about 18-20 hrs to fully recharge through the cig lighter.

I bought the clips with it too, but never used them. Note on the 986 the weatherstripping on the bottom of the doors is grooved to handle a wire so you can close the door without having to leave the window down.

Purschased at Suncoast. Great service guys there.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:35 AM   #8
EE3racing

Lots of good battery tenders out there, mine is a Shumaker and has been in service many years. IMO, save the Porsche logo for stuff unique to Porsche or write it on one of these units yourself.

http://www.pacificbattery.com/charger.html
Old 11-03-2008, 07:06 AM   #9

I've been using the "Battery Tender Jr" on my '02 S for several years. The terminals mount right to the battery cable bolts and stay attached at all times. You simply plug the tender into the cable and plug into the electrical source. Quite simple and foolproof. The tender has a microchip that monitors the battery charge and maintains it as needed.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:26 AM   #10

That is the 12 Volt model, right? Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I've been using the "Battery Tender Jr" on my '02 S for several years. The terminals mount right to the battery cable bolts and stay attached at all times. You simply plug the tender into the cable and plug into the electrical source. Quite simple and foolproof. The tender has a microchip that monitors the battery charge and maintains it as needed.
Motobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:12 AM   #11

Well, yes. Works great and as I mentioned, foolproof. Think I paid $34.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:48 AM   #12

I use a CTEK maintainer. It is the same unit that is re-branded by Porsche.
I fount mine on Amazon last year but have seen them locally at Canadian Tire cheaper.

I use a cigarette lighter adapter. Simple and works great.
Aron in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #13

Tequipment

I broke down and bought the Tequipment maintainer that plugs into the cigarette lighter. I got it from the local Stealership, so I paid too much. But, it's really simple. If the weather is clear I unplug it and go. Back in the garage it takes thirty seconds to plug it back in, and I never open the bonnet.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:44 PM   #14

I finally bought the battery tender jr today. I should have done this a long time ago. While it's the end of January I'm moving the car this weekend (snow permitting) to my mother-in-laws house for 2-3 more months since she's a snow bird... I should have done this in December.
Pyramid 4 channel amp
Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 AM   #15

May even break 30* this weekend, Steve. These little Battery Tenders are great for many things; lawn tractors, etc. I'm going to buy a second one because my son's Jeep Liberty only gets driven short miles here and there; I think it could benefit from being plugged in a couple times a week, just to keep the battery fully charged.

Funny thing, my 911, which is stored in a friend's heated building in Wisconsin, is left unplugged all winter. It has an Optima Red Top dry cell which never looses any power when left sitting (car has a battery cutoff switch). As for the Box, I'm on my second OEM Moll battery, but will consider an Optima when the time comes.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
Old 01-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
Bry

I also have a red top in my Pcar, but that was dead this morning... I was in Costa Rica for a month and I guess my car has a constant battery draw - and the insane cold (heat was off in garage) couldn't have helped it much. When I came here to ask about this subject, this thread had already covered all the bases! I think I'll save a few bucks and time and pick up a Sears battery maintainer instead of ordering a Porsche labeled one online.

Thanks once again to the many helpful people here!
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 PM   #17

Here's what I use: Schumacher Battery Companion .

I bought mine 6 yrs. ago and it's worked great. I got mine at ACE Hdwr. for under $20.

I have three car batteries and two mc batteries on my bench through the winter every year and use only the one maintainer between them.

I switch it every week from one battery to the next - you don't need to keep it constantly on a single battery, and all 5 batteries have come through the winters in great fashion, each 6 yrs. old now and none have any issues at all.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote