View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Oofie

Might get a 986/987, what to look for?

Hey, new here, and I might need some help!

So my dad wants to get a Boxster after test driving it a couple of weeks ago. He liked the car very much (05 Boxster) and now he's somewhat serious in getting one. His budget only permits him to get an 03-04 986 or a high mile 05 987. He found an 05 Boxster today for ~$22k but with 52,000 miles already. He definitely wants the 987 but will still consider the "facelifted"(?) 986. I would want him to get the S version, but they are pretty rare on the used car market, and if they are for sale, they are for a lot more money.

Here's my question, are there any things that we should look out for when testing these cars? This would be his first Porsche, if ever, so we are kind of clueless with them. He said that the 987 he saw today was still in very good condition (exterior), but he wasn't able to drive it. Would a car with 52,000 miles be a problem in the near future? Also, how much maintenance costs are we supposed to expect? Hoping to hear from you guys, TIA! By the way, I just finished Mike's guide to buying a boxster, but I'm still hoping for some of your opinions.

Ron
Oofie is offline   Reply With Quote