Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #1

Shift Light

I need to install a shift light on my 2002 S.
I recently ran my car at a track day at Thunderhill raceway and had a blast!!!!!
But one problem I had was i overreved the thing 4 times. I know some of you will say why don't you look at the tach, but with everything going on I just did not.
So if anyone can stir me in the direction of a shift light that they have installed or a DIY instrustions that would be great.

DMAN2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't know about installing a light to tell you when to shift.
Personally, I think looking at another gauge would be more disracting than using your ears. I normally shift based on the sound of the engine.

You need to become one with your car!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:22 PM   #3

I see why you need a shift light if your car can do 1/4 mile in 12 seconds or faster, otherwise it's just plain silly.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #4

I know what you mean DMAN! Unfortunately I do not know how to wire up a shift light to a multi-coil system. A single shift light is OK, but if you ever use a multi-stage shift light, you'll never want to go back. They can be expensive, but worth it IMHO.

For those who don't get it, its good to know RPM's without having to look at gauges. If your not racing for money its good to shift a few RPM's earlier to help motor longevity. Also with a multi-stage you can gauge your speed into or out of a corner by what light is on. All while your eyes are still focused on the next corner. You should not be checking gauges in corners. That's why oil pressure warning lights are HUGE and in your face on most race cars.

Shift lights can be single bulbs that light when a desired RPM is reached (drag race type) or multi-stage 3-9 LED of varying colors (a la super-cars) These can be mounted on the dash, in your helmet or on a data-acquisition system.

Both my dad's 944 race cars have shift lights (AIM & RacePack) and so will my 944 racer.

Good luck!
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #5

A shift light will only help you with up shifts. If you overrevved because you down shifted at too high of a speed for the gear you were going into then a shift light will not help.

Also, for a track day, why in the world would you be upshifting at redline anyway? You are not competing, give the engine a break! Our cars do not produce max HP at redline. By the time you get to redline the power curve has started to fall off.

You said you did not have time to look at the tach. Then something is really wrong. This is NOT A RACE. Slow down until you can calmly do whatever you need to do, like look at the tach when its approaching shift time. Your car and your instructor will thank you.

Do yourself and your car a favor, forget the shiftlight and try to shift earlier. If you lose a few tenths of a second so what?

Last edited by renzop; 09-11-2008 at 12:28 AM.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 04:27 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to pinzgo
shift light

I have Boxster s year 2000 with 6 psi supercharger, intercooler and methanol injection. Last drag, i made 12.7 with 107 mph. Huge experience. To do so I had to add shift light to help me keeping concentrate on the road. I removed cluster from dash board and unplugged RPM. It is a long white plug. If I remember, the rpm signal is the second lower pin. Anyway, just take voltmeter on 12 volts mode, put black on ground, start engine and search pin that send signal by playing with pedal. After that, just plug your remote RPM with shift light. If you have separate shift light, just stick it in front of you on the dash. I set mine at 6200. I saved close to 1 second on performance
Bests
Jacques
pinzgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #7

You can get a rpm signal from the OBDII plug or for the back of the instrument cluster.

http://www.boxsterspec.com/index.php?showtopic=983&st=0&p=3517&#entry3517

If you go for the cluster don't use the instructions in the link because you have a 2002 and the wiring to the instrument custer is different.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:35 AM   #8

I used the tach signal on the DME to feed my HKS CAMP system under the passenger's seat. This has an adjustable shift indicator that's audible, but no actual light. My Knock Link knock sensor pretty much operates like a shift light though in conjunction with the HKS CAMP. As the revs get towards red line the CAMP gives me an audible signal and the Knock Link starts to light up. This usually helps to keep me from bouncing off the rev limiter.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 02:32 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to pinzgo
shift light

Happy you succeed with shift light. You will find it very usefull. If sometimes you have to remove cluster, it is a matter of couple of screws and 2 or 3 minutes to remove. It is not what it looks to be. These cars are so well built.
I find shift light very usefull with my boxster when I quick start. The car is now so powerful with upgrades that I spin in first, second and third. It prevents always been in red zone. And as soon you reach 100 mph and more on drag circuit, you are concentrate in front of you. So the light talks when it is time. If you want to see some pictures of work I did on my Boxster, you guys can go to : performances talk, under boxster intercooler (pinzgo)
Have nice day
Jacques
pinzgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
I used the tach signal on the DME to feed my HKS CAMP system under the passenger's seat. This has an adjustable shift indicator that's audible, but no actual light. My Knock Link knock sensor pretty much operates like a shift light though in conjunction with the HKS CAMP. As the revs get towards red line the CAMP gives me an audible signal and the Knock Link starts to light up. This usually helps to keep me from bouncing off the rev limiter.

Kirk
How do you like the Camp? How does its functionality compare with the scan gaugeII? Do you have a double din dispaly working with it? How painful is it to get oil pressure indication?
Old 12-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #11

As an instructor, I frequently observe students and listen as they hit the rev limiter from certain track vantages. I also agree that a shift light is really not the answer. What novice drivers need to learn is track awareness and how to use the proper gears and when to shift based upon that awareness. Remember to start slowly and build, not only your mental position on the track, but how the car is reacting to that situation; you will learn where the power band is and where is it most advantageous to shift.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #12

raptor performance ...re; shiftlight
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #13

Yes I can see the problem of panicing/jerky control actions with a ONE BIG shift light but I do like led tachos like the eplitech!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #14

Try going to our "What we've learned on the track" thread and read about using your perifereal (damn, I can never spell that!) vision. You need, very much, to be seeing the whole picture more on the track than anywhere.
If you don't have time to be looking at the tach, you're doing it ALL WRONG.
You cannot be fast until you are both safe and consistent. You can't be consistent until you establish points to brake, turn in, accelerate, apex and track out of the corners and establish speeds (rpm in proper gear) for each.
You may thrill/scare yourself without the above, but you will do little other than hurt your car and maybe yourself until you do.

Not trying to be a smart ass, just passing on some expensive experience.
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #15

Well, they may not be essential, but I found a shift light very helpfull. In my Formula Ford I use it as cheap data acquisition, if I see the light 10 feet sooner exiting a turn, I know that my exit speed has improved. I set the light at my desired shift point, not red-line. A single shift light doesn't cause jerky actions at all, you can even set it low, and shift a second or so after seeing the light.

True, there may not be much need in a non-competitive event, just shift a few hundred RPM sooner. Having said that, if it increases your enjoyment, go for it!

Steve

stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote