Thread: Shift Light
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
944boy

I know what you mean DMAN! Unfortunately I do not know how to wire up a shift light to a multi-coil system. A single shift light is OK, but if you ever use a multi-stage shift light, you'll never want to go back. They can be expensive, but worth it IMHO.

For those who don't get it, its good to know RPM's without having to look at gauges. If your not racing for money its good to shift a few RPM's earlier to help motor longevity. Also with a multi-stage you can gauge your speed into or out of a corner by what light is on. All while your eyes are still focused on the next corner. You should not be checking gauges in corners. That's why oil pressure warning lights are HUGE and in your face on most race cars.

Shift lights can be single bulbs that light when a desired RPM is reached (drag race type) or multi-stage 3-9 LED of varying colors (a la super-cars) These can be mounted on the dash, in your helmet or on a data-acquisition system.

Both my dad's 944 race cars have shift lights (AIM & RacePack) and so will my 944 racer.

Good luck!
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote