Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 07:04 PM   #1

ever hear of a windows OBDII programmer?

Hello,
Just wondering why someone would pay 1000$ to have their computer reprogrammed.

Has anyone seen a setup that would allow me to install software on my laptop and then plug it into the OBDII outlet and allow me to change the software settings?

James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 PM   #2

softronics?

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:38 PM   #3

I looked at this after you posted the name, and it is still 900$.

A USB to OBDII cable costs about 30$, I was hoping that there was a "generic" type of ECU program that can be loaded and allow me to change the options in the stock program. I guess there is not a universal ECU reader/programmer software that is available.

What would stop someone from purchasing the softronic program and using it on more than one car?

James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
Old 07-31-2008, 10:26 PM   #4

I think I found what I was talking about.

Look at this....
http://www.obdtoolstore.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=71

or even better.......
http://www.obdtoolstore.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=104&osCsid=6b4c1adb466f705cdeb869ad314ccc62

89.00$ and If I am reading it correctly, It comes with 15000+ preset tuning files.

Has anyone ever used this?
For 90$ whats the worst that can happen?

The 986forum could have a whole new section: ECU files....People could upload and swap file configurations.

If I screw up the ECU, will the dealership reprogram it with the OEM software?

James

Last edited by jhandy; 08-01-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:04 AM   #5

the problem is decoding the proprietary parameters. it's easy to dump the EPROM, but knowing what the various parameters mean and how they function in the grand scheme of things is the million dollar question. when you buy the software, you're paying for the process of reverse engineering the code & determining proper SAFE modifications to the program that actually build power and maintain drivability. if you mickey mouse with this stuff, you will trash your car.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #6

Why would you want a Microsoft product anywhere near your OBD port?
PCA since 1970

Last edited by 70Sixter; 08-05-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter
because you're not brainwashed into thinking microsoft is evil and their products suck...

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:05 PM   #8

Insite is exactly right. You could easily hack in there (you'd probably still need the DME and Immobilizer codes) and start changing values, however this isn't an Excel spreadsheet with the columns named for you. You would have no idea what you were changing.

When you pay any of the tuners "the big bucks," you are paying for their time to reverse engineer the programs and to create useful "improvements."

All in all, I wouldn't even think about trying to hack this myself.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #9

It is not a hack. Read the info in the links provided. The equipment is the same that is provided by softtronics when you buy their upgrade.

Now the difference is the flash eprom program. They say they provide you with different "performance" settings. Are they as good as REVO, Softtronics,....?
I dont know.

However, for 150 $ you can download and save your OEM program. And then upload a revised program. Drive around town and see.

I was thinking that you may also be able to copy another cars eprom, lets say someone who had a revo, softronics or powerchip upgrade.

That way you could split the cost of the $$ and copy the Eprom.

What I would like is someone who as access to a track or dyno to see ihow well it works, and which of the many preset performance files work the best.
I would buy it for someone, if someone would step up. Insite already is looking into it.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #10

Did anything ever come of this, good or bad?

The ECU programers are cheap and can be had for $30 but knowing what the codes do is the real trick.

It will just appear as thousands of rows of unintelligible string of numbers and letters and you will have to determine the code strings used in the Bosche ECU and then decide how they would be best remapped.

A big task taking hundreds of hours if you know what you are doing programmatically.

Its a good concept but probably more practical for the Honda crowd where you could afford and tolerate blowing a few engines while experimenting.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Sixter View Post
There's my smile for the day. Microsoft haters always make me chuckle. Down with the establishment! Stick it to the man! Make love not war! Dave's not here, man.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

Yes Ive have been messing with the ecu, this is what my boxsters coding looks like. it will take a lot of work.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy View Post
For 90$ whats the worst that can happen?
Change the maps to run the mix too lean for too long (beyond the range of the ECU to adjust) and burn a piston. That is the first thing that comes to mind.

Altering your ECU maps is not something for the uninitiated. Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
Track rat

Garage
For reference, I believe jhandy roasted 2 Box S 3.2 motors since his op. Choose wisely.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashmir View Post
Yes Ive have been messing with the ecu, this is what my boxsters coding looks like. it will take a lot of work.

Ah yes, I remember you discussing the subject a while back. Kashmir, I have tools and a durametric at hand, but I don't know if they will be of any use. I am really interested to see the software behind this.

Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote