Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #1

Value of boxster with blown motor??

i'm considering buying my dad's car.

it is a 2000 base model with 73k.
18" wheels
M030 suspension
full leather
ocean blue / black leather
heated seats
cruise

He is going to sell it to me for 11000-12000. no sales tax as it is an inter family transfer in CA.

worst case scenario - I buy it. I drive it down the street and the motor blows up. I get a $14k-15k bill to fix it and decide to cut my losses and chalk it up as a lesson learned and sell it as is - blown motor.

how much will I get for it?

I"m trying to figure out - given the "great" deal I'm getting - how F***ing far in the hole I would be if I just dumped it in that condition???

not that I am in any way planning on this to happen - i'm just anticipating every scenario.

i can always just keep in the garage while I save up for the 3.4L swap if that happens... it's just that I might be saving for YEARS....

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #2

I'd guess a "roller" in fairly decent shape will bring around $4k
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
I'd guess a "roller" in fairly decent shape will bring around $4k
they CAN be had for that low, but it's rare. you'd make a LOT more just selling it off for parts. $1,500 for the tranny, $800 for wheels & tires, $800 for brakes, etc.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #4

********************!!!! A roller can be found for that little? Serious?????

I should have just gotten a roller for and put a 3.6 in it. I spent around 24k on my car not including insurance and registration.

With a 3.6 liter engine installations running around 15k (I'm assuming, used 3.6s w/ low millage run at 9k), I could have spent almost 10k on a roller and had a more powerful car with possibly more options...damn!

Silly me!

Has anyone considered doing this?

p.s. Chris, how did you guy your exhaust? I've heard of some guy that used to delete all the chambers in the muffler for the stock look but better sound

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg

Last edited by fragdude; 07-29-2008 at 10:29 PM.
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:16 AM   #5

IF I remember, and you can go back to the "There goes another one" thread from addictionracing.
I believe his was a '99 and he sold it to the shop he took it to for the engine repair (IMS!). HE got 6500.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:47 AM   #6

getting 6500 for a roller... not too bad.

i'm only goign to spend 11000-12000 on the car total. no sales tax. no interest.

in the UNLIKELY event i had a motor problem - and then decided NOT to fix it, and sold the car as a roller - i'd be out $4000-5000 max.

in reality though - i'd probably just do a 3.4 swap. it would cost approx $15k, and while I may have to wait a bit to round up the money - in the end, the car would be worth far more than the 11k I paid for it.

if they go for $35kish...then that's about what I would have put injto the car... so i'd still be okay just would have spent more than I had planned.

to me - 11-12k as the entry price for a very fun car is perfect. i can pay fro the tires, brakes, and other routine maintenance.... i just want a toy and want the most bang for the least buck. the deal i'm getting seems pretty good.

are most people doign 3.4L swaps getting new rebuilt motors from porsche, or buying used junker motors?

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote