Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #1

Selling my '06 Boxster - need help finding replacement

Hey y'all, well it's time to sell my Boxster. I'm thinking of making a road trip to the West Coast, with no time limit or time frame. But I'm selling my car and getting a new one for a few reasons:

- i'm unemployed now so i need a car with less expensive upkeep
- i prefer to be able to haul most of my belongings on this trip (which isn't much, but won't fit a boxster)
- i want a less conspicuous car in fear or being targeted or more noticed while i'm travelling or even when i'm in Cali
- i want to take up more outdoor activities and need a car that's a little more versatile in terms of hauling equipment and also want a car that i am less anal about keeping clean all the time

i can always get a boxster later down the road anyway, when i'm older. i'm 25 now and sometimes i feel like i'm being judged by others, maybe they view me as spoiled, stuck up, or undeserving of my car. it's strange i know, but i feel uneasy sometimes. i bought this car more because it was fun and a thrill, and less because i wanted to show off or be prestigious.

anyway, i test drove a few cars recently looking at the under $25K range, and the top 4 i'm liking are, in order as of now:

1. Volkwagen GTI MKV w/ DSG
Pros: I hate automatics, and 'manumatics', but this DSG dual clutch gearbox was amazing and I fell in love w/ it, and I personally love the design and the 18" wheels. Hatchback configuration is convenient. great character, love the plaid cloth seats.
Cons: back looks slightly cut off, heard VW reliability was crap, and interior dash and console was slightly bland.

2. Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5
Pros: Girls seem to like the look of this car more (and not so much the hatchbacks), this is important for someone my age :-), has good reliability ratings, and the best gas mileage of all these, has great luxury features like the keyless start and entry. and i like the looks of this, especially in black with the stock spoiler.
Cons: didn't feel as agile, being that it's a bigger car, doesn't have the thrill factor, being that it's a 2.5, it's the slowest of the bunch.

3. Mazdaspeed 3
Pros: Great bang for the buck. Great power, great speed, fastest of all these cars, and practical. interior was the nicest too of all these cars.
Cons: boring looks exterior-wise, imo. worst gas mileage of all these cars. non-chick magnet.

4. Honda Civic Si
Pros: This was a lot of fun to drive, and has a digital speedometer which i've gotten so used to from the boxster. being OCD, it's nice knowing 'exact' speeds. gearbox was slick. cheapest of all.
Cons: Has a kind of rice rocket import tuner look, and I hate that crowd. and being that I'm Asian, being seen driving this car may give others the wrong impression. :P

Need help on y'all opinions on these cars, and maybe any others in the same range/category.

wt888usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #2

I kind of like the new Saturn Astra XR-3 door hatch model. Apparently the Europeons love the car, where it has been selling as an Open for some time now.

Buy American!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would look at the Volvo C30, it has four captains chairs, and a lot of room. Plus, you can get AWD and a stick. It is just something else to consider. Good luck with the decision!

Last edited by rick3000; 06-15-2008 at 06:31 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:45 PM   #4

subaru forester.....IMO a very good car for the $$$

manual, N/A is all you need...
Old 06-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #5

out of your 4 choices, i'd choose the mazdaspeed 3. it is a hatchback, so it is more useful in carrying stuff around than say the civic si. plus, it's turbocharged with like 260hp. major con...all that hp is put thru the front wheels
maxspeed short shift kit
6500K HIDs
alpine headunit in custom center console
red/clear LED tail lights
mchi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #6

I like the look of those Saturn Astras too, but the car is just too slow. And the interior is really crummy. But the body and lights on that car sure are sleek. No votes for the GTI?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:21 AM   #7

An outside the box option would be an 07 Acura RDX in the 20,000 mile range will be @ $25k. 240 turbo horses, AWD, all the tech toys, will haul all your stuff, good for light off roading, and is the most sports caresque of an suv.

Otherwise, the GTI would be the most enjoyable choice in my opinion. Porsche to a Mazda is just going to be tough. Everytime you push the clutch, feel the brakes, close a door, you are going to notice the light japanese feel. Don't get me wrong, I grew up on jap cars, Honda CRX si to Infiniti G20t to Acura CL to Toyota Mr2 spyder. After the Porsche, I could not go back to that feel (although I do enjoy the wife's Acura TL)
987gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:08 AM   #8

My wife loves here Subaru Outback wagon. Great utility, decent MPG and Cheap to buy new.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #9

Call me old fashioned, but I'm impressed that a 25 y/o is driving a 2 y/o, $50K car to begin with! All the cars you mentioned are great cars to be certain. I am partial to VW's. I would caution you to closely examine your finances and determine if another car payment, or $20K car is realistic. Perhaps a used car that's already dropped in value would be a better purchase during your time of unemployment. Also not sure how banks/loan officers like folks without jobs. Then again, maybe they love those people the most! Good luck!
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:10 PM   #10

I'd definately get the Mazda. It's pretty quick and sporty with the utility of the hatch. I've driven a standard 2006 Mazda 3 with 5 spd manual for two years now as a daily driver and it's been a great car.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #11

I'd give serious consideration to a MINI, maybe the Club Sport. Fairly good all-rounder for the money.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:46 PM   #12
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I'm with Lil Bastard, give the Mini some thought.
My sister has an '02 and they are great cars! Very reliable, awesome mileage, and fun to drive. The layout uses the space well, and they are surprisingly spacious in the front. The Clubman would also be a good choice, if you don't mind the way the back looks. You would probably want an S coming from a Boxster.

I seriously considered a Mini S before I saw my Boxster.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:49 AM   #13

I'm partial to Mazda, considering they are a great customer!
Seriously, they have certainly come a long way in the last few years. They take the zoom-zoom and soul of a sportscar seriously. I had an RX8 (04) for 80k miles and loved everything but the rotary engine. The platform was a great car. I now have a CX7 and it is an absolute hoot to drive, especially considering its a mid-size SUV. Tons of room, the turbo 2.3 (same as the mazdaspeed 3 and 6) and the 6 spd tiptronic are great together. The stereo is fantastic (Bose surround), seats are very comfortable, on and on and on. If I drive like a sane man..........I'm getting better than 24 mpg in a 3700 lb. vehicle.
My production manager has a 2.3, non turbo, 5 spd Mazda6 and is tickled with it.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:02 AM   #14

Take long-term ownership in mind if you plan to keep the car outside of the warranty period.

Japanese cars are going to make it to 100k without much of a repair bill. Mini's and VW's are not nearly as "repair free" and when repairs come along, you'll pay a lot more comparatively.

I've thought a lot about what you're about to do. I like the Mazda, but LOVE the mini, even if I went with a non-S for price and fuel economy.

BTW, I'd buy a 2 year old car with low mileage instead of a brand new one and take the extra cash and bank it for the possibility of repairs... which may not happen in a Japanese car. Everything drops like a rock value-wise after you drive it off the new car lot.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #15

You would be short changing yourself if you do not look at the Volvo S-30. A fine and fun automobile. I've had mine for close to a year and have not fallen out of love with it. Good gas mileage, dependable, low maintenance costs, fun to drive and a decent amount of room. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 AM   #16

here's my $.02: I'm thinking of selling my Benz' due to financial reason and I seriously looked at Mazda 6 due to the space that I needed but If I don't need that much space, I would go for the Mini Club S, I love the way it looks but only 4 seater and that would be a problem coz' sometimes, my 20 yr. old daughter still hangs out with us on weekends

but it all boil down to this:
cost wise for maintenance: I would go for the Mazda 6
mpg wise: I would go for the Mini Club S
looks: my 2 boys love the Mini esp. my son who just got his driving permit

I'm still holding out though and see once she turns 21 few months from now, by that time, the price of the Mini's are a lot cheaper
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:50 AM   #17

Uncle, I love the Mazda 6's styling and price point, although I don't know their reliability compared to other Japanese makes.

Let your kids choose their own make and model one day. Buy what works best for you, your family, and your pocket book.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:01 AM   #18

well, I did a little research on Mazda (C/Report and known local mechanics) and they said, the past few years, Mazda has improve a lot and still improving but not close to other Japanese car..so the other mechanic are short of saying, it's like the new GTO, best bang for the buck but....still Pontiac w/c is sloooowly improving.

yah, right now..pocketbook and family dictates Mazda 6 w/c is fine but will hold out till she turns 21 and Mini Club S price go down
Old 06-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #19

wow, great response everyone! thanks for your suggestions, and i will def. test drive some of the other suggestions. i do want everyone to know that it is also possible for me to keep the boxster, as the two trunks and passenger seat are enough to carry my *essential* items. the other items i can keep with a friend here in texas, and have them ship it to me later if i need. so the utility of another car is not a MUST, but more of a convenience. so knowing that, and being in my position, would you want to keep the boxster or switch out?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:41 AM   #20

well, now that's a different story...at your age, cali, top down = chick magnet (blinkwatt would know..hahahaha)

if you could keep it..keep it! I could easily sell my box instead of my benz but the fun factor is alot greater than my pocketbook. it's my date car, bonding time with my kids car and toy car on AX season

where in CA. are you going?