Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #21
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You're the only one that can make the decision to keep or sell your Boxster.
Personally, I would keep the Boxster, but only if you can realistically pull it off. If your going to need more than two seats, and the two trunks on a regular basis the Boxster wouldn't be practical. But if you only need the extra space to move, I would try and keep the Box.

There is nothing better than driving down PCH with the top down.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000

I agree
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 12:55 PM   #23

On the reliability issue, I put 80 k on my '04 RX8 - not a penny outside very reasonable routine maintenance expense.
I have 74.5k on my '07 CX7, again, without a penny in non-routine maintenance. Oil change and tire rotation every 5k - mobile1, 30k standard maintenance - $350, including tire rotate and balance. I supply my own oil, since my dealer doesn't use Mobile1, so add another 30 bucks.
A good friend dumped his mini over absurd maintenance expense at the BMW dealer.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
The east coast goes pretty well with the rag stored, too!! :dance:

Going to visit my daughter (Army doc), son-in-law and grandaughter in Tacoma in a few weeks. WIsh I had time to drive the box there, or I wish someone had boxes for rent in the area.
Speaking of which........a good business associate here flies he and wifey all around the country and rents Harleys for the week. Wouldn't that be great if you could do that at the Porsche dealer, like they do it at the Harley dealer??????????
Old 06-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
Wouldn't that be great if you could do that at the Porsche dealer, like they do it at the Harley dealer??????????
I think they do but not sure, I just heard about it and not the newer model, only 986. I forgot the dealer name, it's located in Sacramento, CA.
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #26

My friend travels most of the country this way. He says nearly every Harley dealer has rental deals. The dealer in Vegas keeps like 250 rentals at all times and gets a grand a week rental! The Vegas dealer normally has a reservations only backlog of renters................aren't a lot of Porsche dealers crying the sales blues, of late........
I bet they could give a hell of a deal on an 08 "demo" with ten thousand miles on it, had they already collected 15 grand rental on the "demo." Sell it for ten grand off market, with Porsche Certification and they're still five alive on the deal.
Win, win, win.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #27

I like the idea of Porsche rentals. There's a company in town that rents all sorts of exotics as well as corvettes and boxsters. People pay a king's ransom to get the car for a weekend and I cannot imagine they do not beat the crap out of the car.

Interestingly enough, he only rents tiptronics. Smart move in that it limits engine damage caused by redlining and missed downshifts.

Of course, I'd never buy a Pcar with really high mileage on it and just 12 months of in-service time. Even if the car wasn't a rental, it still smells like a car that's been through the wringer. This is probably why dealers aren't in the rental business.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote