View Single Post
Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
wt888usa

Selling my '06 Boxster - need help finding replacement

Hey y'all, well it's time to sell my Boxster. I'm thinking of making a road trip to the West Coast, with no time limit or time frame. But I'm selling my car and getting a new one for a few reasons:

- i'm unemployed now so i need a car with less expensive upkeep
- i prefer to be able to haul most of my belongings on this trip (which isn't much, but won't fit a boxster)
- i want a less conspicuous car in fear or being targeted or more noticed while i'm travelling or even when i'm in Cali
- i want to take up more outdoor activities and need a car that's a little more versatile in terms of hauling equipment and also want a car that i am less anal about keeping clean all the time

i can always get a boxster later down the road anyway, when i'm older. i'm 25 now and sometimes i feel like i'm being judged by others, maybe they view me as spoiled, stuck up, or undeserving of my car. it's strange i know, but i feel uneasy sometimes. i bought this car more because it was fun and a thrill, and less because i wanted to show off or be prestigious.

anyway, i test drove a few cars recently looking at the under $25K range, and the top 4 i'm liking are, in order as of now:

1. Volkwagen GTI MKV w/ DSG
Pros: I hate automatics, and 'manumatics', but this DSG dual clutch gearbox was amazing and I fell in love w/ it, and I personally love the design and the 18" wheels. Hatchback configuration is convenient. great character, love the plaid cloth seats.
Cons: back looks slightly cut off, heard VW reliability was crap, and interior dash and console was slightly bland.

2. Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5
Pros: Girls seem to like the look of this car more (and not so much the hatchbacks), this is important for someone my age :-), has good reliability ratings, and the best gas mileage of all these, has great luxury features like the keyless start and entry. and i like the looks of this, especially in black with the stock spoiler.
Cons: didn't feel as agile, being that it's a bigger car, doesn't have the thrill factor, being that it's a 2.5, it's the slowest of the bunch.

3. Mazdaspeed 3
Pros: Great bang for the buck. Great power, great speed, fastest of all these cars, and practical. interior was the nicest too of all these cars.
Cons: boring looks exterior-wise, imo. worst gas mileage of all these cars. non-chick magnet.

4. Honda Civic Si
Pros: This was a lot of fun to drive, and has a digital speedometer which i've gotten so used to from the boxster. being OCD, it's nice knowing 'exact' speeds. gearbox was slick. cheapest of all.
Cons: Has a kind of rice rocket import tuner look, and I hate that crowd. and being that I'm Asian, being seen driving this car may give others the wrong impression. :P

Need help on y'all opinions on these cars, and maybe any others in the same range/category.
wt888usa is offline   Reply With Quote