Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 06:12 AM   #21

I Test drove a S2000 right before I drove my 986S and here is my review:

1. Speed wise in a straight line the S2000 is no where near as fast
2. The S handled much better (scared the crap out of the Honda guy)
3. Comfort wise you feel MUCH more cramped in the s2k

I'm not dogging the S2000 by any means it is a nice car but I dont think it closely compares the the S model, I also drove a 2.5 and it beats that but I think the 2.7 is its biggest rival.

BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #22

MSRP of S2000 (no options)

$34,300

Boxster base

$45,800

Boxster S

$55,700

Corvette base

$46,100

Different cars, different prices.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:45 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Even if the S2000 is faster, the Boxster is still better looking.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 02:27 AM   #24

Man, You gotta know how to handle this "friendly office rivalry"........It doesn't matter who's car is faster, or better in the turns etc. You shouldn't even be considering his challenge..........You've already won!!

You're driving the Porsche.

Last edited by Couper1; 05-21-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Couper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Couper1
Man, You gotta know how to handle this "friendly office rivalry"........It doesn't matter who's car is faster, or better in the turns etc. You shouldn't even be considering his challenge..........You've already won!!

You're driving the Porsche.

Man, no offence, but comments like this really make me cringe.

**Climbs on soap box**
Both are great handling, quick cars. I can't imagine actually thinking I have "won" simply because of the car I drive. Especially since there are many cars that are quicker, or handle better, or are more exclusive (or all three) than a Boxster.

When you hear people stereotype Porsche owners, it's hard to argue with them with comments like that.
**Steps back down**

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS
Man, no offence, but comments like this really make me cringe.

**Climbs on soap box**
Both are great handling, quick cars. I can't imagine actually thinking I have "won" simply because of the car I drive. Especially since there are many cars that are quicker, or handle better, or are more exclusive (or all three) than a Boxster.

When you hear people stereotype Porsche owners, it's hard to argue with them with comments like that.
**Steps back down**
I agree with you Rob. I see this elitism on here all the time and it makes my cringe too. I guess it would be naive to think that all Porsche owners are true enthusiasts. Some just care about what badge is on the hood and everything else comes second. In fact I think there is a term for it. People call them "badge snobs."

Last edited by Adam; 05-21-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I agree with you Rob. I see this elitism on here all the time and it makes my cringe too. I guess it would be naive to think that all Porsche owners are true enthusiasts. Some just care about what badge is on the hood and everything else comes second. In fact I think there is a term for it. People call them "badge snobs."

Heh Heh, For the love of God, you guys gotta loosen up.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:43 AM   #28

Quote:
Heh Heh, For the love of God, you guys gotta loosen up.

Hopefully what I said did not come across too offensively. I tried to lighten it up with the "soap box" comment.

Either way, I'm do my best to "loosen up" ...... :dance: ......

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-00BoxsterS
Hopefully what I said did not come across too offensively. I tried to lighten it up with the "soap box" comment.

Either way, I'm do my best to "loosen up" ...... :dance: ......

Rob, No offense taken here. Sometimes It's hard to tell when people are kidding in an email, as I was doing. Obviously my humor didn't read through very well.

Geez Adam, you really hurt my feelings by calling me a "Badge Snob".
Old 05-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #30

How about my 3.2 box vs my brother's 2000 model s2000? we havent had a safe place to run them in brotherly competition.
brimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:26 AM   #31

Quote:
Rob, No offense taken here. Sometimes It's hard to tell when people are kidding in an email, as I was doing. Obviously my humor didn't read through very well.

Geez Adam, you really hurt my feelings by calling me a "Badge Snob".
Couper, I don't mean to single you out, but I think this whole I'm better than you because I drive a Porsche mentality stinks. I'm sure you were just "joking" around, but it just perpetuates the public's perception that P-car owners are snobs. Why fall into that stereotype and be that "guy?" S2000 owners might very well have scoped out a boxster but went with the Honda instead for various reasons. Engine reliability comes to mind. I hear honda engines are pretty reliable and I think it's cool that they can sqeeze 240 hp out of 2.0L or 2.2L. Again, don't take it personally I've just seen this attitude on this and other boards and I think it needs to be pointed out. I know that I'm beating a dead horse here so I'll just leave it at that.

Last edited by Adam; 05-21-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:55 AM   #32

Brimech the S will smoke him, dont waste $4 in gas haha, actually do i'm curious how bad
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #33

First if your going to race him and your "bone stock" you need to at least de snorkel and pop a k&n filter in there. You'll still be "bone stock" hehe
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
pteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Couper, I don't mean to single you out, but I think this whole I'm better than you because I drive a Porsche mentality stinks. I'm sure you were just "joking" around, but it just perpetuates the public's perception that P-car owners are snobs. Why fall into that stereotype and be that "guy?" S2000 owners might very well have scoped out a boxster but went with the Honda instead for various reasons. Engine reliability comes to mind. I hear honda engines are pretty reliable and I think it's cool that they can sqeeze 240 hp out of 2.0L or 2.2L. Again, don't take it personally I've just seen this attitude on this and other boards and I think it needs to be pointed out. I know that I'm beating a dead horse here so I'll just leave it at that.
Adam, I have to admitt I was very shocked by your response to my post. After all, this is a Porsche Boxster Forum for Porsche Boxster Owners. If we're going to be "Badge Snobs" this is the one Safe Haven where we should be able to do it .........or so I thought. That's probably why you tend to see other people displaying this type of attitude here. It's our own little roost where we can crow. I never said I was better then anyone else, and I certainly know that I'm not. I do feel that P-cars are head and shoulders above the majority of manufactures out there when it comes to design, engineering, and heritage. I'm sure you feel the same way.
I understand your frustration about Porsche owners having that snobby image, but I'm not saying this in public, I'm saying it here on 986 forum. Really, I'm not a snobby guy. I'll never forget a joke I heard when I was a kid. It goes, What's the difference between a Porcupine and a Porsche?? Answer: The Porsche has it's prick on the inside. Lol. Well here I am 30 years later and now I own one. (Porsche not a Porcupine)
Bottom line, That "snob Image" about us p-car owners might exsist, but I have only met a VERY FEW that live up to that image. I think it's more about people jumping to conclusions about us, or being a little jealous of us. I'm sure it's the same with BMW and Mercedes owners as well. Sorry I got you upset over the remark. I will try to be more politically correct in the future. No hard feelings
PS, Now I've beat that horse to death.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #35
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
To beat the horse one last time...

I don't think anyone has gotten upset, they are just mentioning that you shouldn't go around saying, "Well, it's a Porsche ...(blah blah)". I think it was just a friendly reminder to not go around saying that, because when you do in public, it only promotes the "snobby image."

I like the porcupine thing!
Old 05-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #36

Garage
OK, OK, now lets all sing kumbaya. Back to original post, I say run S2000. Who cares what version of Boxster you have, run the guy.
I know people have posted saying the S2000 has the HP but remember they make that by revving the piss out of that 4 banger. They also have the engine high over the front wheels. Fellow Boxster owners, do you know why Porsche hasn't put a turbo on or why the power is always lagging behind the 911? Because their protecting their "number 1". They know that if power was equaled the Boxster would out perform it's older (ass heavy) brother. With that in mind I don't see how anyone can think the S2000 is better? Are you also saying it's better than a 911? I can't believe I'm asking that question in this forum.
I don't care what people say, the Boxster will out perform the Honda. Yea, it will probably come down to the driver but the Boxster will come out ahead.
Just because of this Thread I'm going to go out this weekend and go Honda hunting and prove to myself that my Boxster will walk all over the S2000.

P.S. By saying "It's a Porsche" isn't necessarily being a snob, it's respecting and acknowledging the research, development and racing heritage that has gone into these automobiles. These cars are made to do one thing, and do it well and that's to go fast and handle the road like it was on rails.

Last edited by Jaxonalden; 05-21-2008 at 06:52 PM.
Jaxonalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #37

P.S. By saying "It's a Porsche" isn't necessarily being a snob, it's acknowledging the research, development and racing heritage that has gone into these automobiles. These cars are made to one thing, and do it well and that's to go fast and handle the road like it was on rails.[/QUOTE]

most times when people say its a Porsche they are in fact being snobs lol, a boxster is not any better then an s2000, honestly the honda is actually built better better quality then the box and will probably beat u on the track no matter what kinda track it is, a lot of people really undervalue them...my friend has beat me a few times in his...it also depend on what your driving abilities are like...and I have to say mine are pretty good, I've been racing cars since i was 15 1/2 and i still got beat haha

btw i've owned an s2000 before and i loved it so to me these two cars are very similar in performance its just that some people prefer to drive a boxster vs a honda for whatever reason...personally i think boxsters look better then the s2000 which is why i decided to buy it...not because its a "porsche"

A careful driver is one who honks his horn when he goes through a red light
-Henry Morgan
xxxalexxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #38

Wink

I would feel quite happy with an S2000 but I dont think I would fit. If given the choice between a new S2000 and used Boxster I would probably go with the S2000, but if both were used I'd take the Boxster. It's not all about speed with me. Let's face it the boxster is definitely not the fastest car on the road, but it's plenty fast for me. And the boxster also looks much better IMO.

BTW I don't think the previous poster was being a snob. He simply stated that Porsche has a reputation of engineering excellent. Therefore the comment "you are driving a Porsche". I like my Porsche cause of it's reputation in the sports car arena. If I wanted a family sedan I absolutely wouldn't pick Porsche.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:00 AM   #39

Interestingly, I can pretty much tell how these posts will go, having seen so many of them.

Hey, its only a car.

Having said that, IMHO, the only important thing to reiterate here is, if you are going to run the guy, do that on the track.

Street racing is simply proof of one's stupidity.

All the other stuff, is just stuff!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #40

Garage
Brucelee,

Thanks for giving us 986 guys a forum to communicate across our limited community. I've had so many questions answered and with my mechanical background hope I've given as much advise. All for the cost of my Internet hook-up, thank you!!

Dave