Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2008, 11:48 AM   #1

Porsche Engine only good for 100K???

Is it true that boxster engine is only good for 100K? There were many reports of engine failure on boxster that required complete replacement. I was told that the life of a boxster engine is only good for 100K at the most.. is that true? Which year (from 1997 to 2002) boxster is the most reliable?
thanks

andrewk24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #2

That sounds completely false to me, plus there are a few diff types of boxster engines; 2.5L, 2.7L, 3.2L, 3.4L, 3.6L so not sure which one your talking about lasting only 100k?
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewk24
Is it true that boxster engine is only good for 100K? There were many reports of engine failure on boxster that required complete replacement. I was told that the life of a boxster engine is only good for 100K at the most.. is that true? Which year (from 1997 to 2002) boxster is the most reliable?
thanks

There is actually no rigorous way to answer your question. The only party that would have a reasonable amount of data on this (not all data mind you) is Porsche and they are certainly not releasing any data at all.

The engine has had three issues of note:

1-The early engine sleeve debacle, when they tried to salvage some bad alloy blocks by sleeving them. I don't know how many of these engine cratered but it was sizable. The company is not talking.

2-The dreaded IMS meltdown. This has happened to all boxer engines since 97 I believe. The shaft lets go and then so does the engine. Again, no data on this but anecdotely, tons of these engines have let go, from the 97 up through current versions.

My neighbors 04 cratered at 12K miles. Nice!

3-We have seen pictures of alloy cracks in other motors, leading to a lead of AF into the engine oil. Game over on that too.

Having said all that, we have NO idea how many engines have over 100K miles.

Look at it this way, it ain't a Lexus V8.

Hope that helps.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
126k on my 2.5 liter, so that rules out the 2.5's

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #5

162,000 miles on my 99 2.5
And it has has a supercharger or turbos for almost 20k miles.

If you take care of the engine it should last.

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Gary in BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #6

Thanks a lot for your replies. I can't remember exactly, but in one of the automotive magazine (Car & Driver or Road Track, etc??) discussed the Boxster in very good detail. It mentioned in the article about the engine failure due to some design issue and it required a complete change of engine (As mentioned by BruceLee). Porsche replaced the engine as long as it was within the warranty period. However, if it was out of the warranty period, then you are on your own. Then, which engine is less prone for this issue??? 2.5, 2.7, 3.2, etc...I am planning to purchase an used Boxster and need your expert opinion to pick the right year and mileage.
thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #7

I think you're referring to the article in R&T. They mentioned the sleeve issue that afflicts some of the earlier 2.5L engines. Unfortunately none of these engines are bullet proof. My advice is get the newest 3.2L you can afford.

Last edited by Adam; 05-15-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:41 PM   #8

Thanks... But, I am looking only up to $15K. Just found another forum that comments about many boxster owners complaining about engine blowing up - even on very low miles, less than 50K miles. It's not year specific as included year 1998 thru 2004 models. Basically, noise in the engine, white smog, then engine dies. Tow the car to the dealer, and the diagnosis is will require new engine @ $10-12K. Some owners have success having Porsche to pay for the engine, but they still have to pay for the installation - @$3-$4K. How can do you know if your engine is not affected by this engine blowing issue????
Old 05-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks... But, I am looking only up to $15K. How can do you know if your engine is not affected by this engine blowing issue????
Your budget pretty much excludes any decent 3.2L so you should look for some 2.7's. You don't have anyway of knowing which motors are going to make the distance and which ones won't. That's the risk you take with this car....or any car for that matter. The best you can do is find a clean well cared for example and get a PPI.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks... But, I am looking only up to $15K. Just found another forum that comments about many boxster owners complaining about engine blowing up - even on very low miles, less than 50K miles. It's not year specific as included year 1998 thru 2004 models. Basically, noise in the engine, white smog, then engine dies. Tow the car to the dealer, and the diagnosis is will require new engine @ $10-12K. Some owners have success having Porsche to pay for the engine, but they still have to pay for the installation - @$3-$4K. How can do you know if your engine is not affected by this engine blowing issue????

You can't really. There is no test that can spot the issues that are involved.

It really is a crap shoot. Sorry I have to say it, but the engine is far from robust.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 PM   #11

It's a big gamble.... Since I am buying used and probably I will be the 3rd or 4th owner, I doubt that Porsche will do anything for me if my engine blows. Well, I am not going to gamble $15K, so Boxster is out list.
Thank you all...
Old 05-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
You haven't driven a Boxster yet, right?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #13

Stats like this 100K thing may include all Boxsters, so that may include the high mileage engines written about above (congratulations, guys) and engines with heavy track usage and modified aftermarket turbos.
These engines are also demanding of proper maintenance such as syn oil and use of properly rated coolant. And how many non-enthusiasts may bring a Porsche to a general mechanic that usually works on Saabs and Volvos.
I think the answer is that these engines are as good as most with the proper attention and TLC and take it easy on the redlining.

But I'm glad that this came up, since I only have 32 K on my '01 and I can relax now!!!
Bobiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:45 AM   #14

Most of the Engine failures I've read about or hear about are from lower mileage cars. I have no data on this. Maybe a Poll in this Forum might give us all an idea to see how many members have had this experience and what mileage this occured.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 AM   #15

130K on my '99 2.5L, and i take it to the track regularly.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #16

Paul,

I have driven a porsche in the past. My first used porsche was a 1986 944 Turbo and it was a great car. I have driven my friend 2001 Boxster S and it's a great car with the top down, but don't like it too much with the top up - too noise it.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #17

I think the answer is that these engines are as good as most with the proper attention and TLC and take it easy on the redlining.

But I'm glad that this came up, since I only have 32 K on my '01 and I can relax now!!!

My experience would suggest that you are wrong in your conclusions.

Just a thought!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:05 AM   #18

Quote:
It's a big gamble.... Since I am buying used and probably I will be the 3rd or 4th owner, I doubt that Porsche will do anything for me if my engine blows. Well, I am not going to gamble $15K, so Boxster is out list.
Thank you all...
Your right, it's a very big gamble. One I wouldn't have taken if I knew then what I know now. I've had my 2001 Boxster S for a mere 5 months and two weeks ago the engine blew. The Porsche dealer won't actually rip it open to find out for sure what is wrong, but they say it is a slipped cylidner sleeve resulting in coolant mixing with the oil. Diagnosis is internal engine failure that can only be fixed by replacment. It seems to me that although some models/years are more affected ithan others it is still happening across the board. Of course the service guy at the Porsche dealer makes it sound like it is a freak occurance, but all the independant shops I talk to say they see it all the time.
2001saxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 AM   #19

my engine died at 50k
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #20

The other forum had over 60 Boxster owners (1998 - 2003) who reported blown engine with mileage ranging as low as 15K to 50K. Two days, and we already have 2 people with the same symptoms. Glad I did my research. And sorry for all of the owners affected by this issue..