View Single Post
Old 05-15-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
Brucelee

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewk24
Is it true that boxster engine is only good for 100K? There were many reports of engine failure on boxster that required complete replacement. I was told that the life of a boxster engine is only good for 100K at the most.. is that true? Which year (from 1997 to 2002) boxster is the most reliable?
thanks

There is actually no rigorous way to answer your question. The only party that would have a reasonable amount of data on this (not all data mind you) is Porsche and they are certainly not releasing any data at all.

The engine has had three issues of note:

1-The early engine sleeve debacle, when they tried to salvage some bad alloy blocks by sleeving them. I don't know how many of these engine cratered but it was sizable. The company is not talking.

2-The dreaded IMS meltdown. This has happened to all boxer engines since 97 I believe. The shaft lets go and then so does the engine. Again, no data on this but anecdotely, tons of these engines have let go, from the 97 up through current versions.

My neighbors 04 cratered at 12K miles. Nice!

3-We have seen pictures of alloy cracks in other motors, leading to a lead of AF into the engine oil. Game over on that too.

Having said all that, we have NO idea how many engines have over 100K miles.

Look at it this way, it ain't a Lexus V8.

Hope that helps.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote