Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 07:17 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Ruh Roh! Here we go again!

^ i didn't know Burberry caps were the latest hooligan fashion.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
^ i didn't know Burberry caps were the latest hooligan fashion.
You're right - violence aside, this does sort of resemble an LL Bean ad.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Old 10-18-2007, 07:43 AM   #63
Track rat

Garage
Boxterz just doesn't get it yet. He says he is all about performance. He wants to do more with less.

Unmodified Base Boxters are already outrunning the Caymans, Boxter S, 911 Turbos, GT3's, every weekend with nothing more than a good set of tires and a little driving skill. Check your local PCA results. Highlander ran top 10 against about 400 other cars at the Porsche Parade. Insite regularly outruns everyone but the fully stripped and modified race cars in his area with only suspension mods.

This car is extremely capable in the hands of a skilled driver. Max performance is a lot more than HP on a dyno. In 10 years of production most highly modified Boxters never actually see track time. Get to the track. See what you got. Learn how to go faster. You may be very surprised.

So Boxterz, who is the Poser? Others will decide. I am new to competitive road racing. I have only been playing this game for 1 year. I do it just for kicks and grins. With 3 Auto-X and 3 track days I realize I have a lot to learn (still mid pack finishes). But I know racing... 6 years Motocross/Grand Prix (expert rating), 20 years Yacht racing (4th at the PMA World Championships). I have knocked handlebars with World Champions and swapped gelcoat with Olympic Medalists.

I have built and ridden highly modified racing motorcycles, sailed highly modified racing multihulls, and built some highly modified street muscle cars (63 Chevy Nova 327, 68 Chevelle 327). But this Boxter I choose to leave alone. Other than engine transplant, suspension and tires I have yet to see any mods that really improve the performance of this car around a track. I have no interest in street stoplight racing.

This is an open forum to exchange ideas. If you don't want others opinions, don't ask for them. If you don't like someones opinion, ignore it. If you only want opinions that agree with yours, it's time to take a hard look in the mirror.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless
Boxterz just doesn't get it yet. He says he is all about performance. He wants to do more with less.

Unmodified Base Boxters are already outrunning the Caymans, Boxter S, 911 Turbos, GT3's, every weekend with nothing more than a good set of tires and a little driving skill. Check your local PCA results. Highlander ran top 10 against about 400 other cars at the Porsche Parade. Insite regularly outruns everyone but the fully stripped and modified race cars in his area with only suspension mods.

This car is extremely capable in the hands of a skilled driver. Max performance is a lot more than HP on a dyno. In 10 years of production most highly modified Boxters never actually see track time. Get to the track. See what you got. Learn how to go faster. You may be very surprised.

So Boxterz, who is the Poser? Others will decide. I am new to competitive road racing. I have only been playing this game for 1 year. I do it just for kicks and grins. With 3 Auto-X and 3 track days I realize I have a lot to learn (still mid pack finishes). But I know racing... 6 years Motocross/Grand Prix (expert rating), 20 years Yacht racing (4th at the PMA World Championships). I have knocked handlebars with World Champions and swapped gelcoat with Olympic Medalists.

I have built and ridden highly modified racing motorcycles, sailed highly modified racing multihulls, and built some highly modified street muscle cars (63 Chevy Nova 327, 68 Chevelle 327). But this Boxter I choose to leave alone. Other than engine transplant, suspension and tires I have yet to see any mods that really improve the performance of this car around a track. I have no interest in street stoplight racing.

This is an open forum to exchange ideas. If you don't want others opinions, don't ask for them. If you don't like someones opinion, ignore it. If you only want opinions that agree with yours, it's time to take a hard look in the mirror.
Well said, nicely done.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
Cool Bruce. I respect it's your house. I'm grateful to be a guest here. Peace.

Just to be clear, I was in no way threatening you with explusion. Again, I try to allow as much latitude as I can on most topics (save street racing, profanity, and too much sexual content).

So, hang in there and stay with us if that is your choice.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #66

OK guys, this was fun and unusual for such a group of intellectuals (me included) .

If there is no massive objection, I will close this thread in a bit.

Thanks and lets all be careful out there.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:11 AM   #67

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yes please close this before it gets even worse than what it is.

did we even come to a conclusion at all?!
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #68

Before it's closed, I do have to say that I gained a lot of respect for this forum as a whole because of this thread. Well, gained isn't the right word, more like "reinforced."

Like others on here, I frequent a lot of car forums, and most of them come down to either personal attacks against everything with (very) few nuggets of knowledge wrapped in a majority of heritage questioning or an extremely dry technical board that reads like an instruction manual (boring). This is the only board I really visit every day, because I really like the people here and the conversation.

On either of the other types of forums, things like this eventually do get posted with very predictable results: The first type turns into a flamewar and 15 pages of people questioning the original posters' sexuality, while the second type just instantly deletes it as it's not related to purely technical issues.

This forum not only managed not to break down into a flame war (there were a few shots fired, but that's to be expected on a post of this nature) it actually lead into some real discussion.

So, regardless of the top at hand, to all of you guys for keeping it largely civil, and to BruceLee (and unseen moderators/owners) for running a tight ship.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #69

I like our group here and hope it stays just the way it is.

Posers and all.

My new license plate....POSER TT

Growing up the car magazines said how amazing Porsches are. Was I brainwashed? Somehow...I doubt it.

http://www.pcars.us/albums/10641_porsche_cars.jpg
Old 10-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #70

I'm pretty sure I'm going straight to Hell for laughing hysterically at Thumper's post.

EDIT: Thumper's post has been deleted, but I'm still going to Hell because while it was here, I laughed at it and I'm pretty sure God heard me.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 10-18-2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:41 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless

I don’t see what experience, knowledge or understanding have to do with anything. You are obviously a poser.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko The Sane
Before it's closed, I do have to say that I gained a lot of respect for this forum as a whole because of this thread. Well, gained isn't the right word, more like "reinforced."

Like others on here, I frequent a lot of car forums, and most of them come down to either personal attacks against everything with (very) few nuggets of knowledge wrapped in a majority of heritage questioning or an extremely dry technical board that reads like an instruction manual (boring). This is the only board I really visit every day, because I really like the people here and the conversation.

On either of the other types of forums, things like this eventually do get posted with very predictable results: The first type turns into a flamewar and 15 pages of people questioning the original posters' sexuality, while the second type just instantly deletes it as it's not related to purely technical issues.

This forum not only managed not to break down into a flame war (there were a few shots fired, but that's to be expected on a post of this nature) it actually lead into some real discussion.

So, regardless of the top at hand, to all of you guys for keeping it largely civil, and to BruceLee (and unseen moderators/owners) for running a tight ship.

Thanks, we try.

Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I'm pretty sure I'm going straight to Hell for laughing hysterically at Thumper's post.

EDIT: Thumper's post has been deleted, but I'm still going to Hell because while it was here, I laughed at it and I'm pretty sure God heard me.
Dang, I thought it was subject appropriate too......

Grizzly, I don't think your going to Hell for laughing at it, but you may have to wait in a longer line to get in.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #74

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
It sounds like boxsterz is the biggest poser in this forum. He only bought his Boxster because he couldn't afford a 911. Some of us bought Boxsters even though we can afford 911's because we like the Boxster better.

Get off the board, then. Stop posting here and stop reading it if you don't like it. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg

Last edited by Chills; 10-18-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:25 PM   #75

So to summarize before this thread gets closed:

We are all a bunch of useless posers who don't know anything about Porsches, driving, or how to please a woman.

Not surprising that this is coming from the only person in this forum who has been rude to me.

Thanks for another helpful and friendly thread.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #76

Dr kill. I always wanted to ask you this, and since this is a non-sense thread, I might as well derail it slightly.

Do you really have that bumper sticker on the back of your car? It cracks me up every time I see it.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:29 PM   #77
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree, with just about everything (above) except for the comments from boxsterz. I too, gained a lot of respect for the forum through this thread, because everyone here is so mature. This is by far the craziest thread I have been a part of.
Thanks for making this a great forum everyone!

Last edited by rick3000; 10-18-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #78

BruceLee, when are you going to close this thing?!?!?!?!?

Maybe it's because I'm almost a half century old, but I have never really understood this kind of banter. I understand Boxsterz point of view, yet I understand most everyone else's as well.

Why does anyone care what they think, do or say regarding their car, sports team, etc. A tremenous amount of effort and energy is being wasted.

Keep in mind guys, that of all the people that you hate, 95% don't even know you hate them, and of the 5% that do, don't care.

Time for a group hug.....and a beer.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:51 PM   #79

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
it needs to be closed after the sticker on the back of Dr kills car is addressed
i wanna know as well
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
You're right - violence aside, this does sort of resemble an LL Bean ad.
That a still from Green Streets the movie about the the West Ham Football hooligans. Pretty good movie but Elijah wood as a brawler wasn't very convincing.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Closed Thread