Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #41

Why don't we let MNBoxster alone, that thread is ancient history.

And, what is a poser again? I get that all the time in the HD world. It seems the REAL HD guys don't like posers, whatever that means?

Old 10-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #42

I'm with Brucelee, I don't get what the poser thing is about. Then again, I didn't read the PSM thread.

I agree with DJ, it seems there may be more detailed technical step by step responses on another board and I do see some of the same names there.

I don't read or post there much. I do come here evryday and my post count shows I don't post much. I know hardly anything about the Boxster still.

What I enjoy is reading post from people who love this car. It is one of the most friendly, easy going forums I've been on.

A BMW forum I was one was terrible. Name calling, every post was a bashing by the fully modded guys with a million post. Very nasty.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #43
boxsterz

@rick3000, don't put words in my mouth or you're going to wear em. Your PSM post is exactly the kind of UN-helpful response to those looking for some insight.

@meerzee,

the 911 without doubt, is the higher performance model. Most 911 owners assuredly bought it for that reason. OTOH, the box is the lowest end Pcar, and I'm not so sure many here bought it for any other reason, i.e. mid engine, decent power, convertible design from the get-go,... etc.. The simple fact the vast majority of mods here consist of aesthetic rather than performance is clear enough.

It seems to me a fair amount bought it for "looks" and entry into the P-car fame. I do plan on 996/997 TT eventually, but the box will do for now. I may even keep the box if I can get some more power from it. Inherently I believe the box handles better than 911. Do I aspire for 911 because it was (enter CGT) the pinnacle of Porsche.... of course not, I want the power, and the back seats when the time comes. Also I do find the 911 forums more knowledgeable and more willing to mod their cars for performance.

First and foremost:

It's enormously appealing doing more with less, e.g. beating a 996 TT or GT3 around the track is a smokin accomplishment in a box. I would like that kind of performance. Hey I can dream :P. The lazy thinker says, "why don't you just go out and buy a GT3". No I don't think that HAS to be the case. I'll continue to hack.

Poser defined:

I hate misinformation. I would like to eradicate it. I am the type of person who will say I don't know something or I'll shut the f_ck up when I don't know. What is irritating, is a performance issue is being discussed and the poser group interjects with a veiled attempt at bolstering their own ignorance and pose as a performance oriented poster (better more skillful driver to do WITHOUT X,Y,Z). The result is a lot of noise, and the real issue is lost. All show, no go. MN boxster was famous for shooting down the merits of the S model because he owned a base.

In addition, I just do not see the same level of energy in seeking out performance as the pretty up posts. The poser is the box owner who talks like they're performance oriented yet prove to be about looks. That was MNboxster to a tee. He talked the talk, but when it came to walking, all he was worth was how to paint calipers. --Exactly what he had hypocritically dismissed--

To make this clear. I find nothing objectionable with the fuzzy dice, painted caliper crowd, if that is who you are. Own it. No big deal. I'd still help you out if I could. It's the "performance" mask I despise. Don't try and fool me into thinking you're about performance when you're not.

Having said all that, these are the type of statements that seem pervasive here.

Q: how can I get more HP from my car?

A: you can't really. it's a Pcar not a Vette. Stick to the factory design objective and live with it. It's a corner carver, not a dragster. Go away and get a Civic (Poor man's porsche snobbery peeking through)

Q: Are there any alternatives other than factory Porsche power?

A: take a driving course, in our infinite wisdom it will give you more Zen.

Q: is X option worth the price?

A: I never had X option, so I don't miss it, therefore neither will you. Those who have X option are inferior, because we do more with less.

Q: I want to mod my car beyond factory parts, what are my options?

A: You need to get a Civic, this is a Por-sche forum, we cater to tasteful imitations of Porsche's higher performance models, chiefly the front facia and brake caliper paint give most bang for the buck. We like the "look" and prestige of the higher models, but we don't want to pay full choke for it. We think we can palm it off and get 90% reaction for 10% the price.

In the end it's your ride, do what you want. I just want a little more honesty and open mindedness, that's all. Again, I fully appreciate we all have our differences and preferences. And I am in no way trying to assert my performance preference over your aesthetic ones, or establish some sort of "have vs. have not" elitism. I'm just tired of the posturing.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #44

Sounds like Red Caliper Envy to me

If you hate us posers, hate our pretty for looks only interest, quit telling us about it and post elsewhere. I mean that in the honest most sincere way. Enough already.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #45

First-this is the correct spelling POESUER

I think a good comparison would be a straight laced banker or lawyer who goes out and buys a bad ass Harley or chopper and tries to be a hard ass biker on weekends. Thinks he's HA because he's got a bike and leather vest.

As I recall the word originated back in the 80's around the time big hair bands were coming up. Many of these bands pretended to be hard core metal but were really pretty wimpy. Winger for example. In the context of this board I totally understand what boxterz is saying although I would defend anyones right to say whatever they like. At times the topics do go quite lame. Many are redundant and I think that the degree of some people to do anything on their own borders on the ridiculous. My personal pet peeve is when people use the word "twisties" to describe curved roads. I mean C'mon. Would you ever say this word in a conversation out loud ??? Sometimes I think there are too many unsolicited opinions. This is a discission board though sometimes I think it gets to be an opinion board and that is a little annoying to me. I think that this goes on at every board to some degree or another though it does seem to go on a little more here. I still read this board every day and do have ton of respect for most of the regular posters. Once in a while though I just gotta roll my eyes.

Firefox was invented so that you could open every thread you are interested in reading in thier own tab. That way you can close the ones you think are not to your liking. You might enjoy the board a litle more if you do this more often.

Overall you probably won't find a better auto board around. For sure not a better Porsche board.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
Old 10-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #46

Boxsterz, thank you for answering my questions ( and I am NOT being sarcastic ). I now understand your original post, and whether I agree or not is irrelevant. I do appreciate your opinion, and I hope you will continue to visit, post, and contribute here.

Thanks for the clarification,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #47
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
Sounds like Red Caliper Envy to me

If you hate us posers, hate our pretty for looks only interest, quit telling us about it and post elsewhere. I mean that in the honest most sincere way. Enough already.

Now I don't have to do I? Maybe you'd like a change yourself and do some growing up?

BTW, I have Red calipers from the factory, can I envy something I already have? Doesn't make much sense, does it? Perhaps you're thinking of "jealousy". Now that might make sense, but I have no ill feelings should anyone want to paint their calipers, just that it seems a waste of time. But that's just me.

Before you go further into this battle of wits with me, I suggest you get a grip on your command of the english language. You can bet I mean that in the most sincere way Here I'll get you started:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/poser

Old 10-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #48

@ boxsterz hilarious!

Q: Are there any alternatives other than factory Porsche power?

A: take a driving course, in our infinite wisdom it will give you more Zen.

Q: is X option worth the price?

A: I never had X option, so I don't miss it, therefore neither will you. Those who have X option are inferior, because we do more with less.

@ der Geitst...what chu talkin bout 17 man, 17.....there's nothing wimpy about 17...lol
Old 10-17-2007, 05:59 PM   #49

In the end it's your ride, do what you want. I just want a little more honesty and open mindedness, that's all. Again, I fully appreciate we all have our differences and preferences. And I am in no way trying to assert my performance preference over your aesthetic ones, or establish some sort of "have vs. have not" elitism. I'm just tired of the posturing.

Always beware of the man looking for more honesty, defined of course, by what he believes is the standard.

Again, the board is free for you to post, or not to, at your preference. I am sorry if we are not all up to your lofty standards, but we do what we can.

Your ego, on the other hand, may need to find another place to ply its trade.

So, lets move on and you can join us, or not!

Old 10-17-2007, 06:11 PM   #50
boggtown

Agreed, your with us or against us.

One of us, one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #51
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
@ Boxsterz
It is very interesting how hypocritical you are being. You create this pointless, uninformative, and opinionated thread, then tell the entire forum to never post anything pointless or to give our opinion. But this entire thread is all about your opinion, and how you feel about us. There is no fact in this thread so perhaps you are just like us by your own standards posting pointless, opinionated things.

Forums are all about getting different opinions and ideas in response to a question. If I have a problem I need a creative solution to, multiple people could have the correct solution to my problem. I don't want to hear the person posting that it is impossible because Porsche didn't design so-so to do that, I want opinions and feedback.

Also, my PSM post may not have been, "correct," by your standards, but it gave you a basis to not only critize me but to also give others more insite into how you use PSM.

Last edited by rick3000; 10-17-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #52
boxsterz

Cool Bruce. I respect it's your house. I'm grateful to be a guest here. Peace.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:23 PM   #53

I vote for locking this thread!

Whos' with me?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 PM   #54
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ I agree. Lets just be done with it.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
I do my best at being tolerant of everyone. I know it takes all kinds to make the world go round. It's the disquise I can't stand. I mean come as you are, and say it like a man. If you're gay, well hell you are gay! (not that there is anything wrong with that) Humara come on out! If you're a poser, then I don't see the point of posting on performance matters and passing it off in some objective manner when it is not. That what bugs me. What seems to be lacking here is honestly. In it's place I see a lot of posturing. For example the PSM thread, it doesn't seem strange to anyone else all the naysayers don't even have PSM or experienced it? So how in the world are they giving "objective" opinions on the matter is a puzzle to me?

PS. stay tuned for MN boxster reveal... You may need to send a search party.
You are truly a worthless excuse of a human being. Your arguments are incoherent and pointless at best. Then you question a person's sexuality. A person who you've never met or know nothing about. You're a crappy excuse of a troll even. Get a clue. You have some insecurities that a therapist might be able to help you with. And you have some weird obsessions about posers. Great, because someone gave you an answer about PSM that you didn't like. Seriously, go drive some cars and buy what you want. Then you can deal with your other issues. Until then, why not just go back under your rock and call it a day.
GDIAF!!!

Last edited by Brucelee; 10-18-2007 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #56

Ruh Roh! Here we go again!

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Old 10-17-2007, 10:29 PM   #57

boxsterz your an idiot. This is one of the best forums I post on. For example, the hummer forum I belong to the members say F U to each other everyday and insult people on a daily basis. That never happens here. We don't have idiots running around flaming people for no reason, and I've learned alot of tech stuff about my porsche here and also helped contribute.
Supercharged Viper SRT-10 800 HP Special Edition #49 of #50 (current)
Ferrari 360 Spider
Lamborghini Diablo VT Roadster
911 Cab
Boxster S (current)
08 Hummer H2 (current)
BMW Z3 (current)

Limos in Ohio and PA - First Class Limo Columbus Limos

http://pteam.net/avatar3.jpg
my car collection *Porschephiles agree, Desnorkify your Porsche!*
Old 10-17-2007, 11:37 PM   #58

have you noticed the performance aftermarket for the Boxster? Its nonexistent. Its a bit harder to "get more HP" from a Boxster. Dont chock it up the forum being a bunch of posers. Same goes for almost all performance mods and the rest of your questions. We dont have Greddy making FI kits for us like the s2000.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:47 AM   #59

Entertainment at its finest

And it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy...

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #60

the lock is coming!

Closed Thread