Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 08:04 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee
I was leaving a fair last night in Mandeville visiting my 2 sisters who were actually working the event. One of my sisters is as wealthy as a movie star and as luck would have it --- of course the other is not at all. Well, I didn't tell em anything about my "new" Boxster until I got there and they were excited for me. Upon leaving, the "movie star" sister's (both in looks and $) son (yes my nephew) ----
looks at my car parked behind his mom's S600 AMG apparently waiting for reaction to my sister who says, "Look at his new Porsche, it is a Boxster S convertible" says "ohh, Boxsters they suck." and jumps into his mom's car.

Of course this is coming from a spoiled brat who just turned 11 and whose father drives everything from Viper GTS-R's to Gallardo's, so I guess in some ways his dad has mentioned that Boxster's "suck" in comparison. Just thought it was a rude comment (no offfense taken honestly), but definitely a poor way to raise a child IMHO. I know that other wealthy people know how to raise their children and they do it with proper morals, respect and character.

I never had the silver spoon, I remember literally scraping coins together off the floorboard of a 1980 rusted out Fifth Avenue that I paid $200.00 after college (when I was 23, had a new shotgun wife and an unexpected new daughter) just to drive thru the burger place one more time to feed us ($0.99 burger) for one more night. I made the choice to go out with an engineering degree in hand and still work 3 jobs: stocking groceries at night 7 days a week, framing and roofing on the weekends (every weekend) and working my entry-level engineering job during the day for nearly 2 years to get us on proper footing. It was hard work, it was sacrifice and it definitely was humbling & humiliating at times... but it built character and strength.

Later I gave back by joining the Army (256th Infantry HQ) & becoming extremely active in Habitat for Humanity and now still run teams for rebuilding projects at least twice a month....it makes me feel a tad bit selfish sometimes when I drive my 'S' after having to work for so much for so long to get where I am today, but I still remember myself as a child with posters, collecting magazine ads, and just dreaming of one day owning a Porsche....just because I loved the pure emotion of what it stood for in my heart.

Yeah, apparently that same Porsche that "just sucks" ----
Oh well, we cannot all be spoiled disrespectful sons of movie stars.

I just hope that somewhere along the way a lesson is taught to this child that isn't too painful. Status of our times or just poor parenting? Dont know.

Just thought I would share --- thanks for tolerating my rant.
All my best,
M

dissed by a sixth grader. LOL...

that's definitely parroting. this kid is repeating what his dad and his friends say.
I'm sure he figures if they say it openly it's merely a fact and he can repeat it.

This tells me a few things. One, whoever is feeding this child with this type of info is probably one of these guys that has expensive cars and doesn't know how to drive them and rarely participates in any driving instruction or grassroots motorsports. Many track junkies I know with $100K+ cars give the Boxster props.
When I hear a guy slam the Boxster, S2000, STI, EVO, Mini Cooper, Miata, etc. I know I'm dealing with a guy who has no idea what he's talking about. He's basically a poser with deep pockets.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-15-2007 at 08:13 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:11 AM   #42

This post seems to have hit a nerve.

The kid is 11 yrs old. If life has its way, he will get a few lessons along the way to smarten him up.

If not, hey, we don't have to live with him!

Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #43

Letting go

Two monks were returning to the monastery in the evening. It had rained and there were puddles of water on the road sides. At one place a beautiful young woman was standing unable to walk accross because of a puddle of water. The elder of the two monks went up to a her lifted her in his alms and left her on the other side of the road, and continued his way to the monastery.
In the evening the younger monk came to the elder monk and said, "Sir, as monks, we cannot touch a woman ?"
The elder monk answered "yes, brother".
Then the younger monk asks again, " but then Sir, how is that you lifted that woman on the roadside ?"
The elder monk smiled at him and told him " I left her on the other side of the road, but you are still carrying her "

I thought this might apply to this thread.

Lets all take a deep breath.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 AM   #44

I do appreciate the Zen comment, Brucelee.... However, I don't think anyone is really taking this "issue" serious nor to heart, it was just merely a "sign of times" observation and an initial rant about my ridiculously spoiled nephew. I think the popularity of this thread is linked more to the over-the-top nature of some people and their kids and how it relates to most people....(most of us know someone or someone's children who act like this) --- so it kinda does "hurt a nerve" in a way, just not negatively IMHO.

In fact, I have grown to admire and be inspired by even more of the character, friendliness and purely geniune people on this forum --- simply from the responses to this thread....so, if nothing else, it is good to know we are among good people.

well, for the most part....

Old 10-15-2007, 09:08 AM   #45

You really care what anyone else thinks, let alone an 11 year old?

Do you enjoy the car? Enough said.

But if you still feel the need to respond take him for a "ride". That way he can find out just how much one of the best handling production sports cars in the world "sucks".

In addition, should you feel the need to further stroke your ego, any of the following articles are also good places to direct people:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1304
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=729
http://www.forbesautos.com/reviews/2005/porsche/boxster/testdrive.html

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by J-RAD; 10-16-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RAD

In addition, should you feel the need to further stroke your ego, any of the following articles are also good places to direct people:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=1304
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=729
http://www.forbesautos.com/reviews/2005/porsche/boxster/testdrive.html
I think this is exactly what you should share with your 11 year old nephew - especially the first article. I am sure when you explain to him what the article means when it says "To put it bluntly, the Boxster's a xxxxx with wheels," he will start to respect your car.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg

Last edited by Brucelee; 10-16-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:56 AM   #47

you listened to a 11 year old? WTF

Last edited by porscheracer; 10-16-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee

I do appreciate the Zen comment, Brucelee.... However, I don't think anyone is really taking this "issue" serious nor to heart, it was just merely a "sign of times" observation and an initial rant about my ridiculously spoiled nephew. I think the popularity of this thread is linked more to the over-the-top nature of some people and their kids and how it relates to most people....(most of us know someone or someone's children who act like this) --- so it kinda does "hurt a nerve" in a way, just not negatively IMHO.

In fact, I have grown to admire and be inspired by even more of the character, friendliness and purely geniune people on this forum --- simply from the responses to this thread....so, if nothing else, it is good to know we are among good people.

well, for the most part....

We do have the best posters here in 986 land.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer
you listened to a 11 year old? WTF
funny, how you changed your post response from
"send this to the child's father"

to "you listened to a 11 year old? WTF"

That is amusing.....

Is that supposed to mean anything to me and where in the heck did anyone say anything about listening, supporting, being offended, rejected, or personally defeated about an 11-year old and his comments? The objective of this thread was to objectively report on an instance, yes simply an event, that occurred as I thought was appropriate (considering the target 986 audience) and demonstrated questionable taste, slight humor and spoiled adolescent attitudes.

Based upon the majority of the responses, people identified with the premise of the reasoning behind the thread, & its purpose...exposing stupidity in the form of bad parenting and spoiled, wreckless kids gone wild..... sign of our times?

In any case, thanks for your off-handed & pointless submission.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:59 PM   #50

Good night and Good Luck!

Closed Thread