Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2

The Yankees only get up for the Sox games?
The Yankees are a veteran team and they know how to win. The effort leaves them a little weary and susceptible to losses when they play young teams with nothing to lose.

It should be an interesting September.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990
I stopped watching baseball during the 2004 ALCS when the Yankees were up 3-0 after whipping the Sox 19-8 in game three. I figured the Sox were on their way to another choke and I was sick of seeing it happen. Can you tell me what happened after that?
2004? If you want to talk about history, lets talk about the number 26. Ring any bells?
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1poet2
LOL

I really don't get it. I'm not complaining but again Tampa Bay beat the Yanks their 7 ERA pitcher holding them to 2 runs!!

The Yankees only get up for the Sox games?
I think they underestimated them. Not to worry though....they'll be fine once they secure the wild card.
Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #24

Send a message via AIM to 7th gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmorg
You just never know when or why the ugly jealousy thing will rear its head. A few years ago I was driving my old '78 911 SC on I-5 NB in Portland. I'd just put on four new Bridgestone Z-rated tires and was enjoying the quiet ride and difference in handling the new tires gave the SC. I was putting along in the fast lane just above the 55, passing the slower lane traffic in a leisurely way. Two kids in a beater Toyota truck saw me approaching from behind and changed lanes into my path so I would have to slow down. No biggie I thought, and changed lanes to pass on the right. They weren't having any of that, and changed lanes again to block my pass. A little pissed at the delibrate provocation, I returned to the left lane and accelerated to get past these idiots. As I approached 70, the Toyota SWERVED into my lane and slowed to about 45. The driver was fully aware of my presence, making eye contact in his rearview mirror. The passenger kept looking back and grinning like a retarded baboon. I then made the mistake of flipping off the two wackos. Toyota man jammed on his brakes to nearly a dead stop in the fast lane. To avoid hitting the P.O.S. truck I really smoked my brand new tires. I just couldn't believe anyone could be so relentlessly petty as to put us both at risk like this. I quickly got off the freeway at the next exit, noticing meanwhile that my new tires now had flat spots enough to induce a slight thump with rotation. Lesson learned: Don't let things escalate like I did. Just leave the scene by turning off or slowing down. The next brain dead juvenile you encounter may have a pistol.
this is such an appropriate post/thread!

i was driving the fwy one a.m. enjoying the top-down drive. i noticed a burgundy explorer on the road ahead. i paid no attention. then i notice the exlplorer gets closer and just paces me from the adjacent lane and never pass me?!?!? so i increase my speed to about 90mph, so does he and i feel this stare?!? i look over and the windows are tinted and can't make out his face. i slow back to about 75, he does the same. so then i down-shift and do about 100 to get about 3 exits in front and then cruise it. i look in my rear view and here he comes again. he catches up and paces me again. now at this point, i'm thinking if he knows me, he'd have rolled the window down and said 'dude it's me' (or something, or call my cell) but i get nothing out of this guy. so i make a mad dash to the carpool lane and floor it. i had to be going 120 + but didn't look at the dashboard. i look in the rear view, he did the same move and was closing in on me. at this point, i let him get close & bolt off the next exit ramp. i lost him.

at this point, my mind & heart's racing as to what could've happened....car jack?, getting shot? -- why did this guy do this? i gotta cop friend i told this to and he said next time just slow down, get the plate & call it in. i wasn't thinking rationally at the time, i was in 'life support' mode.

ever since this incident, my driving attitude has changed to say the least.

pca member

Last edited by 7th gear; 09-03-2007 at 12:01 AM.
7th gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #25

All right here’s my story :

About this time last year my wife and I were heading to a friend’s house. We are on a four-lane road and when I come to the stoplight there is a semi in the right lane and a dump truck in the left lane in front of me. The light turns green and both trucks take off real slow ( I know that it takes awhile for them to pick up speed so I patiently wait for them to start going ). There are no turns on this road for a couple of miles so I hang back so the trucks can see me in their mirrors so they will know I am behind them.

The semi sees me and slows down to let the dump truck get in front of him and gives him the signal. I wait for awhile for the dump truck to move over ( it is noon on a Sunday on a major road with a ton of cars behind me ) so I can pass both safely in the left hand lane ( speed limit is 50 mph – we are going about 30 mph ) I wait and wait for the dump truck to merge but he just sits there and refuses to move over for about a mile ( both trucks still going about 30 mph ).

I finally get fed up, speed up ( I was still in the left lane, by the rear of the semi, behind the dump truck so he could see my in my mirrors, with a nice gap between the front of the semi and the rear of the dump truck ) get in front of the semi, get in the left lane in front of the dump truck, and slow down to about 20 mph.

I am angry, and slow down gradually to slow down the dump truck because I am so upset by his inconsideration. Of course now the dump truck is getting mad I am slowing him down and starts wailing on his horn ( keep in mind my wife is in the passenger seat and not very happy with me at the moment ). By slowing down the dump truck the semi passes and the cars that were stuck behind us are now able to pass in the right hand lane.

I look about a mile ahead and see that there are police stopping traffic and letting cars out from an event. When I stop the car for the police officer in the street I see the dump truck driver in my rear view mirror get out of the car. I jump out of the car and the guy is furious and starts walking towards the car screaming and swearing at me at the top of his lungs. Of course the police officer stops directing traffic and walks over.

The dump truck driver then tells the officer that I got in front of him and slammed on my brakes and he almost crashed into me. I explain what really happened, apologize for being an idiot, and reason that I would not slam on my brakes in front of a dump truck because I know I would lose that battle in a heart beat. The dump truck driver is still screaming and swearing at me and another two squad cars pull up.

One takes me off to the side and the other takes him off to the other side. I am calm and apologetic, but the other guy is still going nuts. The cop tells me that a lot of truck drivers carry bats or pipes in their trucks and unless I have a death wish not to pull this kind of stunt again. I apologies again and he tells me to get in my car and take off while they calm the other guy down.

Needless to say when I get in the car my wife is furious and doesn’t talk to me for the rest of the drive. I promise her I will never do something that stupid again, and every time someone does something idiotic on the road ( which seems to happen a lot since I got the Boxster, getting cut off, cars slowing down on purpose when I am behind them, etc ) I remember back to that day and think of what could have happened ( bodily injury / arrested ) and I just let it go.

Bottom line is that there are a lot of idiots and crazy people on the road and it’s just not worth it…

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:10 PM   #26

Bottom line is that there are a lot of idiots and crazy people on the road and it’s just not worth it…

Nick

Hi, I agree 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000%

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote