Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #1

Smile 911 vs boxster

Have a 07 box and looking to trade for a 03 or 04 911 Cab. Looking for opinions or things I should look out for. All ideas welcome. Reason for possible trade is to get more power and like the look for the 911. Any issues with the 03-04 911. Thanks

Bwbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:50 PM   #2

Personally, i wont trade your 987 with a 996. ALL 996s/986s are prone to RMS leaks and possibly Intermediate shaft failures due to a casting flaw from the factory. I myself wont trade piece of mind for HP. But i would definitely trade a 986 / 987 /996 for a mint 993. Just my 2 cents.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #3

also as I`m sure you know porsche`s in general have problems with the clutch`s as well, boxters are about half of the cost as a 911 to replace, just in case you were going to go with a standard transmission.
joyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 03:25 AM   #4

Issues with 03-04 996

The biggest issues with 996 Cab:
1. Engine is in wrong place (understeer)
2. Body not rigid enough (more understeer)

You might like the 996 motor for straight line performance and you might like the panache of owning a 911, but I predict you'll soon be back to 987 because it handles so much better. Unless you need the back seat, go for a 987S. I recently traded an '03 996 cab for new 987S so I admit to some bias.
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
Personally, i wont trade your 987 with a 996. ALL 996s/986s are prone to RMS leaks and possibly Intermediate shaft failures due to a casting flaw from the factory. I myself wont trade piece of mind for HP. But i would definitely trade a 986 / 987 /996 for a mint 993. Just my 2 cents.
I think you are referring to the porous cases that affected some early boxsters. The RMS IMS failures aren't a result of a casting flaw. The RMS usually occurs because the crankshaft is not supported sufficiently and it distorts the seal causing oil to blow by. I believe IMS failure can happen a couple different ways, but these are due to design flaws in the m96 engine not casting flaws. These flaws were not completely fixed on the 987 series cars either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfrog
also as I`m sure you know porsche`s in general have problems with the clutch`s as well, boxters are about half of the cost as a 911 to replace, just in case you were going to go with a standard transmission.
Really? I think both cars demand about the same amount for labor and parts for a clutch job. What are you basing this statement off of?

Last edited by Adam; 08-04-2007 at 04:41 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #6

I wouldn't go from an '07 Box to a 996 cab either. Yes, you're getting more HP, but are you really getting more speed/more pleasurable driving experience?

The interior quality on the 996 vs. the 987/997 is a definite downgrade. This coming from a 986 guy with the same basic interior I am knocking in the sentence above.

If I were in your position, I would be looking at a 987S with the right options or most likely a Cayman S. It seems you are wanting a cab, so the Cayman may be out. There are a few nice 987S out there for the right price esp. if you have a little patience.

Again, just another guy's opinion.

Keep us updated on your decision...

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:52 AM   #7

getting rid of an 07? already?
you might as well go down to the ocean and put your money in the water.
humara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #8

Cab might very well be the last 996 I would buy. I found the power to be better but not enough better to accept lesser handling and pendulus cornering. The worst of both worlds from my view point.
And at high speeds on the open highway a strong cross wind gave me a very bad feeling I have never gotten with the Boxster. I felt like I had to hold onto the steering wheel tighter. From a engineering perspective its a compromised sports car. you just can't hack the roof off a sports car without watering down the car. Even the pre-07 Ferrari F430 Spyders had this problem when compared to the F430 Coupe.
Aesthetically everyone is different but it just doesn't look right. Someone called it a bathtub with a big butt. The hardtop looks terrible, like a turtle with four wheels.

Get a Targa or stick with Boxster.
just my two cents.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #9

My dad just bought my mom an 04' 996 C4 Cab with 14K miles on it. I'm going over there in an hour or so to check it out. I'm sure she'll let me drive it and I'll report back.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam

Really? I think both cars demand about the same amount for labor and parts for a clutch job. What are you basing this statement off of?
Could it be that one must remove the tranny on a 986 and the motor on a 996?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 05:25 PM   #11

You don't have to remove the engine on a 996 to replace the clutch. Very straight forward job on both models.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #12

After driving a 996 Cab today, I wouldn't trade. It's a bit quicker than my 2.7L box but, cornering is not great. It grips pretty well but, the Box does it so much smoother and you feel more in control. Now compared with a Turbo....no contest against the Box. I'm in love with my fathers Turbo, blistering fast and corners like no other with the awd.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
After driving a 996 Cab today, I wouldn't trade. It's a bit quicker than my 2.7L box but, cornering is not great. It grips pretty well but, the Box does it so much smoother and you feel more in control.
Very true, The 986s definitely corners better than the 996s because of the mid engine design.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I think you are referring to the porous cases that affected some early boxsters. The RMS IMS failures aren't a result of a casting flaw. The RMS usually occurs because the crankshaft is not supported sufficiently and it distorts the seal causing oil to blow by. I believe IMS failure can happen a couple different ways, but these are due to design flaws in the m96 engine not casting flaws. These flaws were not completely fixed on the 987 series cars either.
The 986/996 engine blocks are cast without machining to Center-Bore the Crank Opening. This results in varying center bore tolerances in which the crankshaft is not supported well. This will cause the crank to rub disproportionately on one side of the seal leading to it's premature failure.
You can also add porous engine cases to the list of flaws
Old 08-04-2007, 11:01 PM   #15

here's my 3 cents...

I love my 986 but I will have no problem with the large but havin' bathtub when its my turn to purchase....hell the engine issues are still realized across the board. Just talk to any owner of a 987 with low miles and a blown engine.

...as for the less then 986 handling and overall feel I think that is more easily judged by those that track their cars and take driving a bit more seriously.
That fact (unfortunate as it may be to many here) is not why many of us purchased even our very predictable Boxsters. Don't get me wrong, this is easily the best handling car I have ever owned and I have appreciated that very much, but I'll take a 996 cab over it any day. Hell the cars ability to carve is probably THE reason I purchased my Box in the first place but I still want what I do not yet have. Further, I took one test drive in a Box and the search was on until I found her.

...back on point....
I love the aesthetics of both but I fell for the 911 cab at a very young age and I have been drawn to it ever since. That said I was not so young when many of us were blown away with the new boxster model back in the day but it just does not evoke the same emotion for me. Can't put my finger on it but it is what it is.

Some day I'll move on, but for now I am enjoying my second favorite Porsche...and yes, I am also one of those owners who has found himself making extra trips to the garage just to take another peak so all of this babble does come from a big Boxster fan....I just happen to be a slightly bigger 911 cab fan, warts, big butt and all!
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear

Last edited by Boxter; 08-06-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:50 AM   #16

I tracked my '03 996 cab and even after suspension upgrade to ROW M030, it still understeered severly. Suspension upgrades did reduce front end lift at higher speeds so I thought it was worth it but '07 987S is just as fast or faster on the track because it's far quicker through the turns.
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #17

I drove a 996 C4 when I bought my 986, and didn't find much difference on the back roads. The price was much different, though, and I bought the Boxster, which is far the better value. Great handling car. Sport or luxury, take your pick.
986sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 09:24 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
RMS is nothing: $1000 fix. if you think the 993 doesn't have issues, you need to do some more research: SAI (that costs $6000 to fix).
mb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to ultimate1 Send a message via Yahoo to ultimate1
I grew up loving the 911 Carerra in the late 80's and early 90's. A co-worker had an 89 Carerra Cabrio and it was the ****************. I made up my mind that I had to have one of these machines. In 89 Porsche came out with the Speedster and that is my favorite car out of all of the 911's.

I loved the 993 but that car is a money pit beyond belief. When the Boxster came out I was in love with the shape and I had to have one. However, I was knee deep in student loans and just started to make decent money but not enough to buy a new one. Then I got laid off in 2001 and had to change careers. I had a great few years and got my Boxster last year and I love it. It does not have the rocket ship like takeoff as the 911 had or has but it is pretty damn close. Also the Boxster looks way better than the 996 or the 997 in my opinion.

I love my 2000 base Boxster and I plan on keeping her for as long as I can. The only other Porsche that I have to have is an 89 Speedster. Maybe in a few years as I am getting my business up and running.

Anyway, just another car nuts opinion for what its worth.
ultimate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #20
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate1
I grew up loving the 911 Carerra in the late 80's and early 90's. A co-worker had an 89 Carerra Cabrio and it was the ****************. I made up my mind that I had to have one of these machines. In 89 Porsche came out with the Speedster and that is my favorite car out of all of the 911's.

I loved the 993 but that car is a money pit beyond belief. When the Boxster came out I was in love with the shape and I had to have one. However, I was knee deep in student loans and just started to make decent money but not enough to buy a new one. Then I got laid off in 2001 and had to change careers. I had a great few years and got my Boxster last year and I love it. It does not have the rocket ship like takeoff as the 911 had or has but it is pretty damn close. Also the Boxster looks way better than the 996 or the 997 in my opinion.

I love my 2000 base Boxster and I plan on keeping her for as long as I can. The only other Porsche that I have to have is an 89 Speedster. Maybe in a few years as I am getting my business up and running.

Anyway, just another car nuts opinion for what its worth.
The late 80s 911s were great cars, very visceral, far beyond any modern Porsche in driver involvement and entertainment. But after driving a modern Porsche for a while, you might not be so impressed with that Speedster's acceleration. Those engines, while great, had very little low end torque. They had to rev even more than our cars do to make their torque.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote