Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 04:06 PM   #1

996 Turbo vs Boxster

I have been contemplating a change and have been casually looking around for a used GT3 or 911 Turbo. I got a call about an '03 turbo for sale at a dealer a couple of days ago so I decided to check it out last night. 36K miles, not a lot of extras (like you need em?) and in showroom condition. Dealer wants 69K which I think is pretty reasonable for this model and year. So I take it for a test drive. Ooodles of power. The moment that car takes off it just wants to keep going. No question about it. Call me an idiot but I like the Boxster more. The turbo is a great car but seems to lack the personal connection if you will that the Boxster has. The handling feels loads tighter on my Boxster (coilovers??) and I like the sound of my Box better (Thanks Che!!). Maybe I just couldn't hear the exhaust on the turbo because of the hardtop?? Interesting though that I would prefer the Boxster over a car nearly twice the price isn't it? I think the best part was that when I came back from the test ride I had to wait for the sales manager to bring my car back from the appraisal. I think he was enjoying his appraisal ride at least as much as I enjoyed my test ride! The dealer is a Lexus dealer and I guess they don't get a lot of Porsches there so evidently they are quite a treat when they do get them.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist
and I like the sound of my Box better (Thanks Che!!)
*Speak of which,how do you like the exhaust? I'm thinking of getting one soon,but I would like some reviews from people that have expierence w/ it. Anyone have any sound clips?

*(I'm sorry for jacking your thread)
Old 04-04-2007, 05:32 PM   #3

I myself love Che's exhaust and would recommend it highly. For the money it is a great buy and Che is a great vendor. Randall has one too and I think he gave a whole review on his header/exhaust combo complete with dyno. I just put an intake on last night that I picked up from Adam and the sound combination of the intake and exhaust is just awesome. I don't know if there is any real horsepower gain, I think I may be just driving a LOT more aggressively now. The sound combo is incredible though. I can't believe the difference. To quote Dr. Evil-"it's Frickin' freezing" here again but when I pull the Boxster out on Friday I'll try and get a sound clip recorded on my Treo for you.

Quote:
*(I'm sorry for jacking your thread)

No problem!

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'69 911 Black
Cancer Survivor
Old 04-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #4

I don't find it strange that you prefer the Box to the Turbo. They're very different cars and though the Turbo is fast, fast isn't everything. The Box is a more balanced and nimble car. It's a better design, period.

The rear engine thing takes some serious getting used to. Unfortunately, when you think you've got it down, you push its limits, it swaps ends on you, and you end up in a ditch.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #5

Having the opportunity to instruct in an X73 and X51 equipped 996TT, I was very impressed by the cars performance on the track. The AWD was nearly transparent. 450+ hp was nice too . Certainly no fear of the dreaded "lift-throttle oversteer" of "real" 911s A GT3 would be more communicative than the TT and would have some lift-throttle oversteer to learn how to control.

That said, the Boxster is a remarkably well balanced car that is enjoyable despite its comparative lack of hp. I am not suprised you like the Boxster more in this scenario.

As a fairly recent Boxster owner I am torn. I sold a 1978 911 to get the boxster. While it is a tremendous car, it does lack the feel/charm of the 911. The cars are equally fast, they just acheive it differently.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
While it is a tremendous car, it does lack the feel/charm of the 911.
Take it back you air-cooled hippie....Just kidding!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
boxsterz

can you answer this honestly...

I'm not trying to think for you, but more to clarify...

perhaps it's that you don't want to pay for the 996TT.

So hypothetically, if given either car, as a gift from the Porsche gods, to drive and love, but never sell, which one would you still pick? (you couldn't borrow against it either, or profit nor suffer financially from the car too) All maintenance is taken care of for 300k miles, then it dies and goes to Pcar heaven...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:07 PM   #8

[QUOTE=racer_d] Certainly no fear of the dreaded "lift-throttle oversteer" of "real" 911s A GT3 would be more communicative than the TT and would have some lift-throttle oversteer to learn how to control.

That said, the Boxster is a remarkably well balanced car that is enjoyable despite its comparative lack of hp. I am not suprised you like the Boxster more in this scenario.
QUOTE]

I went into an off ramp wayyy to hot the other day and had to lift mid corner. I thought it was spin time for sure, but wouldn't you know the boxster took care of me without a problem.....without PSM no less. I think I've said this before and I'll say it again, PSM isn't neccesary on a car as balanced as the boxster.

[QUOTE=der Geist] Randall has one too and I think he gave a whole review on his header/exhaust combo complete with dyno. I just put an intake on last night that I picked up from Adam and the sound combination of the intake and exhaust is just awesome. QUOTE]

I'm glad the intake worked out well. To tell you the truth I'm kinda jealous Martin. That intake would've been nice on mine, but I'm glad you got a good product for a good price. Sellers remorse I guess

Last edited by Adam; 04-04-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 AM   #9

I've been searching for 996 Turbo as well. LOTS of good bargains out there, particularly if you don't mind a tiptronic. TAKE YOUR TIME looking, prices are sinking by the week. I saw one pristine Lapis Blue 2002 with really nice mesh wheels which could have been had for less than $60K and less than 30K miles.

I'm prepared for the insults and jabs of having two Porsches but one is not a subsitute for the other. Two completely different sports car concepts and
as most know, a roadster will never be as expensive as a GT coupe since a roadster doesn't need a giant engine since it should be lighter.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
I'm not trying to think for you, but more to clarify...

perhaps it's that you don't want to pay for the 996TT.

So hypothetically, if given either car, as a gift from the Porsche gods, to drive and love, but never sell, which one would you still pick? (you couldn't borrow against it either, or profit nor suffer financially from the car too) All maintenance is taken care of for 300k miles, then it dies and goes to Pcar heaven...
Money really isn't the issue. I started looking because I have sold a nice piece of real estate and made a tidy profit on it so I thought of treating myself. I was actually looking to add this to the stable unless the dealer was to offer me a stupid trade in allowance. After driving the turbo and thinking about it for a few days there is no way I would trade in the Boxster now. The turbo is just and incredible machine but I think the Boxster is way more fun to drive. Plus I would miss all the kids screaming at me when I am driving around town. I actually am in your hypothetical I think I would still keep the Boxster, that's my point.

But of course I still don't want to pay for the turbo!!! I want it for nothing but they call that grand theft auto and then I'll have Matt to worry about!!

'03 Midnight Blue
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'69 911 Black
Cancer Survivor
Old 04-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #11

Smile

I had a 2002 TT in my inventory last year. I did not care for the car all that much.

Just my opinion.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist
Call me an idiot but I like the Boxster more. The turbo is a great car but seems to lack the personal connection if you will that the Boxster has.
I have heard this before - but is this a 911 thing or a 996 thing? Although a distant memory, I remember my old '74 911 Targa being a more enjoyable driver than my Boxster. Did the 996 just get so far from the original concept that it isn't as much fun anymore? Are the 997s better in this regard?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:18 PM   #13

Marty,
Im not trying to put you on front street but a twin turbo is within reach for the both of us. Lets quit playing around and put this deal to bed.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:52 AM   #14

Speaking of how low Twin Turbo prices are....

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/306949316.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/car/306083191.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/car/305250881.html
Old 04-06-2007, 06:53 AM   #15

no I don't think its a 911 thing, but definitely a 996 thing. I've listened to some very experienced club racers tell me that all of the new Porsches feel very disconnected when compared to the air cooled flavors.

as for 911TT, at these prices (sooo low) if you are going to go 911 go with the real deal. good luck with the insurance and at the pump!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #16

I know my opinion is virtually meaningless, but being a novice at autocrossing, I tend to over-drive my Box...and that is an understatement.

Every turn I take feels like the car is going to lose control or spin out and it is constantly regaining control.

I have never been able to spin the car out or have it completely lose control even at those limits.

It is truly amazing how it always regains control.

Of course, it can be fun sometimes to break the tail loose around a corner
Old 04-06-2007, 07:11 AM   #17
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
I have heard this before - but is this a 911 thing or a 996 thing? Although a distant memory, I remember my old '74 911 Targa being a more enjoyable driver than my Boxster. Did the 996 just get so far from the original concept that it isn't as much fun anymore? Are the 997s better in this regard?
Yes, the old 911s were much more fun to drive. It's all about communication and the old cars were talking to you all the time through everything you touched. They were great drivers cars. Not to mention they were about 800 pounds lighter than they are now. The new cars are great, fast machines, but they've lost alot of the driver connection.

Keep in mind that from the doors forward, the 986 and the 996 are exactly the same car. When someone says they are completely different cars, that's not really true.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #18

At the DE last weekend, there was a 996TT (03' I think) chipped and modded to 520hp and 500+lb torque. A few times I would catch him in the technical section and be behind him on the main straight where he would gun it ("braaaaap") and move away from me a bit, then I'll be on his rear bumper after the first curve. I'd always pass him after that. We spoke between runs, and he told me that if he was careful with the trottle he could make it through the day on TWO tanks of gas, whereas my Box had at least 150 miles of driving left on the SINGLE tank after a full track day. He said, he could reach 140mph on the main straight if he so desired (but would probably need THREE tanks if he did it all the time) -- I never reached more than 110mph there.

If I was going to get a 996, a TT or a GT3 would be the only way to go. They have the bullett-proof engine block inherited from the air-cooled ones. But I can't see how a 996TT (and even a GT3) would replace what my Box offers -- the perfect combination of maximal fun both on and off the track.

Z.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:54 AM   #19
boxsterz

Interesting, I know a guy in Virginia who has a black 996TT modded to +500hp who says he gets 28 mpg in daily driving...
Old 04-06-2007, 07:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
Interesting, I know a guy in Virginia who has a black 996TT modded to +500hp who says he gets 28 mpg in daily driving...
The guy said it was totally dependent on his driving. He had all that power on tap but if he didn't dip into it at all, the mileage would be decent. And on the track, it's hard not to dip into it, hence the track mileage. Still, 28mpg would be quite a stretch.
Z.

Last edited by z12358; 04-06-2007 at 08:02 AM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote