View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #18
z12358

At the DE last weekend, there was a 996TT (03' I think) chipped and modded to 520hp and 500+lb torque. A few times I would catch him in the technical section and be behind him on the main straight where he would gun it ("braaaaap") and move away from me a bit, then I'll be on his rear bumper after the first curve. I'd always pass him after that. We spoke between runs, and he told me that if he was careful with the trottle he could make it through the day on TWO tanks of gas, whereas my Box had at least 150 miles of driving left on the SINGLE tank after a full track day. He said, he could reach 140mph on the main straight if he so desired (but would probably need THREE tanks if he did it all the time) -- I never reached more than 110mph there.

If I was going to get a 996, a TT or a GT3 would be the only way to go. They have the bullett-proof engine block inherited from the air-cooled ones. But I can't see how a 996TT (and even a GT3) would replace what my Box offers -- the perfect combination of maximal fun both on and off the track.

Z.