Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 05:12 AM   #1
Registered User
 
9864ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 92
Brand New OEM Side Skirts and Rear Spoiler (Aerokit)

Hi all,

suncoast parts has an amazing deal on a 986 OEM Aerokit but I only need the bumper.

I spoke to them and they agreed if I can find someone to buy the 2 sideskirts and rear spoiler, they would bill separate and ship separate.

I just want the front bumper.

So we'd split the cost. The whole kit is on sale at only $1995 so we'd each pay $997.50

The side skirts alone sell for $1595 separately so you'd get them and the rear spoiler for under a grand.

Let me know if there's any takers and we can arrange with suncoast.

The link doesnt show up here in the post but check the site and just search for aerokit package - Boxster 986





Last edited by 9864ever; 02-11-2020 at 08:17 AM.
9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:38 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Texas
Posts: 177
IMO, if you get that bumper, you're going to want the skirts too. Otherwise your bumper is going to hang way lower than the sides of your car, and the lines won't match up.
__________________
'97 - Silver (rebuilt/stripping)
'99 - Black (rebuilt/sold)
'01 S - Rainforest Green (daily)
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:15 AM   #3
Registered User
 
9864ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
IMO, if you get that bumper, you're going to want the skirts too. Otherwise your bumper is going to hang way lower than the sides of your car, and the lines won't match up.
My car is black and i've seen others with just the GT3 bumper in black and i actually prefer it without them. Then again it was just in pictures, havent seen in person.
9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 134
I might be interested. But make sure it's the right kit.
The website says that $1,995 is for the 2003-2004 Aerokit. If you want the 1997-2002 Aerokit then it's an extra $1,400. And there are two Aerokit versions within that year range. Which one are they selling?

If it's $1,995 for the GT3 style Aerokit II then it's a great deal and I might be interested in splitting the cost.

Also, my buddy had a silver 986 with just the GT3 bumper and no sidekirts. Car looked really good - sometimes I liked it more than mine with the Aerokit 1 sidekisrts and GT3 bumper.
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:50 PM   #5
Registered User
 
9864ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
I might be interested. But make sure it's the right kit.
The website says that $1,995 is for the 2003-2004 Aerokit. If you want the 1997-2002 Aerokit then it's an extra $1,400. And there are two Aerokit versions within that year range. Which one are they selling?

If it's $1,995 for the GT3 style Aerokit II then it's a great deal and I might be interested in splitting the cost.

Also, my buddy had a silver 986 with just the GT3 bumper and no sidekirts. Car looked really good - sometimes I liked it more than mine with the Aerokit 1 sidekisrts and GT3 bumper.
What year is yours? Mine is an 03' so definitely just need the one for $1995.00
For the two versions, is that the one for the '03-'04? I will also get clarification from Aldo, he's the guy that can set this up at suncoast.
Feel free to PM me as well.
9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:11 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 134
Edited for research

Last edited by Javi Cooper; 02-11-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:21 PM   #7
Registered User
 
9864ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Edited for research
I emailed the guy at Suncoast so will get some clear information soon. The bumper in the pic on the site (blue boxster) is the aerokit II GT3 style right? Still learning the different names for this stuff!
9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:26 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9864ever View Post
I emailed the guy at Suncoast so will get some clear information soon. The bumper in the pic on the site (blue boxster) is the aerokit II GT3 style right? Still learning the different names for this stuff!
Yes, that's the one.

I wrote a whole essay with photos on the different Aerokits. Basically I was saying that the 03-04 kit doesn't come with a front bumper. When they were new, if you ordered an 03 or 04 Boxster with the Aerokit (called something else by then) it would just be the side skirts and something else in the rear, can't remember exactly what. Porsche thought the new standard bumper was nice enough I guess. That's why I thought the '03-04 kit was much cheaper.

But then I read the whole description as I should've done from the beginning and saw that it specifically says the front bumper is included and that the difference in price is because of the needed rear trunk lid for earlier models. That actually throws even more doubt into what I thought I knew about available Aerokits but oh well... looks like the bumper would be included if you do order the '03-04 kits.
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 08:05 PM   #9
Registered User
 
9864ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Cooper View Post
Yes, that's the one.

I wrote a whole essay with photos on the different Aerokits. Basically I was saying that the 03-04 kit doesn't come with a front bumper. When they were new, if you ordered an 03 or 04 Boxster with the Aerokit (called something else by then) it would just be the side skirts and something else in the rear, can't remember exactly what. Porsche thought the new standard bumper was nice enough I guess. That's why I thought the '03-04 kit was much cheaper.

But then I read the whole description as I should've done from the beginning and saw that it specifically says the front bumper is included and that the difference in price is because of the needed rear trunk lid for earlier models. That actually throws even more doubt into what I thought I knew about available Aerokits but oh well... looks like the bumper would be included if you do order the '03-04 kits.
Yes which is why i want to go ahead with this asap. I will get further confirmation from suncoast but it all looks legit.
9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:27 AM   #10
Registered User
 
RedTele58's Avatar
Guys - be careful when you're ordering. There are several different versions/components of aero kits.

The early kit is composed of 1) a front bumper cover which is a 986 SPECIFIC cover - it is NOT a 996 euro GT3 front cover. 2) Early style (rounder and curvier) side skirts, and 3) an aero kit specific decklid/spoiler combo w/ some interior trim pieces.

The later kit is composed of 1) late style side skirts (sharper and more angular) and 2) a rear spoiler that mounts on top of a standard rear deck lid. The later kit has NO front bumper cover and NO decklid and interior trim.


Reference what is being called a "GT3" bumper cover. The GT3 was introduced in Europe several years before it was introduced in North America. The early euro GT3 had the round headlights as on the 986 and therefor the front cover would bolt directly on a 986. For the early 996 ('99-'01), Porsche offered a 996 aero kit which was the European Gt3 body kit - a GT3 bumper cover, side skirts (in the same style as the early 986 aero kit) and the double decker "taco" spoiler.

So there are several front bumper options that will fit a 986 - 1) 986 aero kit bumper, 2) '99-'01 996 standard bumper cover, and 3) '99-'01 996 aero kit (European GT3 front bumper cover).

The American introduced 996 GT3 (2004-2005) bumper cover will NOT fit the 986 - the American GT3 had the angular 996 headlights.

Side skirts - two different styles: earlier (softer and curvier), later (sharper and more angular.

Deck lid/spoiler; again, an early and late style. The early aero kit provided for a rear deck lid composed of fiberglass. It is a longer decklid to cover the extra ~two inches where the pop-up spoiler lives. (The pop up spoiler is removed with an early kit. There are also several additional plastic trim pieces that live in the trunk area. One covers the gap where the pop up spoiler lives, the second covers the area where the third brake light lives, as the aero decklid is smooth and deletes the dip where the third brake light opening sits.

The later style rear spoiler simply mounts on top of the standard decklid and the pop up spoiler stays in place.

9864Ever - careful... the bumper cover shown on the Suncoast website is NOT a 986 aero kit bumper cover! It's a late 986 front bumper cover or a 996 bumper cover.

There are no differences in the rear bumper cover for an aero kit.

Chase this link - you'll see what a complete early aero kit looks like:

https://www.redlineautoparts.com/porsche/1997-2004-boxster-996-911/1997-2002-porsche-986-boxster-factory-aero-kit-i-front-bumper-rear-bumper-sideskirts-trunk-spoiler-bx026/?device=c&keyword=&campaign=369100617&adgroup=pla-4586681475291776:aud-807800756&utm_term=&identifiers=pla-4586681475291776:aud-807800756&Campaign=**LP%20Shop%20-%20Catch%20All&CampaignId=369100617&AdGroup=Catch%20All&AdGroupId=1329310318532975&AdId=83082015825343&Network=o&msclkid=a5c9a3c6925d101612fffd829aabb00f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=**LP%20Shop%20-%20Catch%20All&utm_content=Catch%20All

THAT is a complete early aero kit. Notice the very different grill openings than what is shown on the Suncoast page.
__________________
I think I have a Porsche problem...
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:42 AM   #11
Registered User
 
RedTele58's Avatar
9864Ever - also - if'n you're just looking for an aero front bumper cover, check on eBay. There are several there now.
__________________
I think I have a Porsche problem...
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:10 AM   #12
Registered User
 
9864ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
9864Ever - also - if'n you're just looking for an aero front bumper cover, check on eBay. There are several there now.
Thanks for all the info on this stuff. It clears up a lot.

The bumper in the blue pic on suncoast's site is exactly the one i want, similar to what Duraflex has as their GT3 bumper and some other knock-offs. Mine is an 03 and not sure why Porsche didn't include a bumper for that year's aero kit because it looks very similar to the older bumpers. I just don't like it.

This silver car also has the bumper I want, so now I am very confused as to what it is lol.. The regular 996 bumper does look different, there are no inner posts along the bottom.

Do you know what this bumper is? Up to now I just thought i was a 996 GT3 bumper which evidently is something that can fit on the Boxster.

I looked on Ebay for the aero bumper and yes i've seen some, but I don't like that old style at all. It's gotta be this one or nothing and really don't want Duracrap lol
Attached Images
 
9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 07:53 AM   #13
Registered User
 
RedTele58's Avatar
What you want is an early 996 FACTORY aero kit front bumper. It's the same front bumper that is on the early European GT3 and the early ('99-'01) 996 aero kit cars.

It's a direct bolt on to the 986. (But remember - it has to be for an early 996. In 2002 Porsche changed the headlights.)

Also look around for the different front lower lip spoilers that are available for the bottom of the spoiler.

Look through this thread. You'll see lots of pics of what you're looking for.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/849496-996-aero-kit-picture-thread.html

They are going to be expensive new from Suncoast.

Again - look around eBay. Search "996 Aero" and see what you can find.

Do yourself a favor. DON'T buy the after market crap. Please. It won't fit right, it won't be as sturdy and you'll wish you wouldn't have bought it.

Take your time looking for a factory piece.

Here's one for sale from a while back. I think he's advertised it several times since this ad. It might be worth checking on. https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace-old/1025942-996-mki-aero-front-bumper.html#post14485836

I look for this stuff every day. Patience is the key. If you're not patient and learn exactly what you want and where it came from, you'll end up disappointed when you buy something you "thought" was right because you didn't know what is was. You probably won't find the factory piece today, but with patience you will. The hunt is half the fun.
__________________
I think I have a Porsche problem...
RedTele58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #14
Registered User
 
9864ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 92
You're right, there's just too much negative experiences with aftermarket, i did see a member on here (Woody) that had luck with his but outside of him everything else was the same message - stay the hell away!

Ok so early 996 Factory aero kit front bumper. Got it. I will ask suncoast why they have a pic of that on the Boxster and advertised as an aerokit for the Boxster which is confusing. Maybe the kit they are selling includes the 996 Factory aero bumper? He said it's the same one in the pic but I need to be 100% sure.

As for the one on Rennlist, can't get hold of the guy, doesn't seem to respond. Looks like he has it advertised in a few places and on one thread it says it's sold.

Will look into the lower lip too, but to be honest if I just get the bumper now i'd be happy. That can come later.

I still have the original bumper that needs some work which i'm considering to put on for now when i have the car sent to the bodyshop for repairs and paint. Would be great to get the 996 aero bumper sooner than later though! But yes, patience...




Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
What you want is an early 996 FACTORY aero kit front bumper. It's the same front bumper that is on the early European GT3 and the early ('99-'01) 996 aero kit cars.

It's a direct bolt on to the 986. (But remember - it has to be for an early 996. In 2002 Porsche changed the headlights.)

Also look around for the different front lower lip spoilers that are available for the bottom of the spoiler.

Look through this thread. You'll see lots of pics of what you're looking for.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/849496-996-aero-kit-picture-thread.html

They are going to be expensive new from Suncoast.

Again - look around eBay. Search "996 Aero" and see what you can find.

Do yourself a favor. DON'T buy the after market crap. Please. It won't fit right, it won't be as sturdy and you'll wish you wouldn't have bought it.

Take your time looking for a factory piece.

Here's one for sale from a while back. I think he's advertised it several times since this ad. It might be worth checking on. https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace-old/1025942-996-mki-aero-front-bumper.html#post14485836

I look for this stuff every day. Patience is the key. If you're not patient and learn exactly what you want and where it came from, you'll end up disappointed when you buy something you "thought" was right because you didn't know what is was. You probably won't find the factory piece today, but with patience you will. The hunt is half the fun.
9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 134
Edited once again for research. This is driving me nuts

Last edited by Javi Cooper; 02-12-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:56 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 134
Oh, and to add to the other point, no aftermarket stuff for me either. OEM or bust!
Javi Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:39 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Pirate50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 117
Garage
I'll try to clear up the confusion on this bumper cover.I have this bumper and side skirts. They are OEM pieces installed later. It was first used on the 99-01 GT3 in Europe, it was also used on the 99-01 996 Aero kit package as redtele said. But Porsche has a habit of recycling things, and this became the Aerokit II bumper on the 2003-2004 986.2 (facelift) cars. It did come from the factory if the Aerokit II was ordered factory, and if you have read the TSB for installation of those side skirts and rear spoiler, it will tell you not to fit them to the car without that bumper cover also as it will negatively effect the aerodynamics of the car. The other cover, yellow one Tommy583 posted is the Aerokit 1 for the 97-2002 cars. Side skirts and rear spoiler were different in that year range also. I think both look good, just depends what you are looking for. Both bumpers will fit on all year ranges. Side skirts will fit on all year ranges but mounting is easier on Aerokit II years (2003-2004). Rear spoilers mount on different rear deck lids. The 2003-2004 cars have a different deck lid anyway. Hope this clears it up
__________________
2004 986 Basalt Black Metallic. L&N IMS Retrofit, 996 Door Cards, Smarttop, Aerokit II bumper and sideskirts, Toth ducktail
Pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:34 PM   #18
Registered User
 
9864ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
I'll try to clear up the confusion on this bumper cover.I have this bumper and side skirts. They are OEM pieces installed later. It was first used on the 99-01 GT3 in Europe, it was also used on the 99-01 996 Aero kit package as redtele said. But Porsche has a habit of recycling things, and this became the Aerokit II bumper on the 2003-2004 986.2 (facelift) cars. It did come from the factory if the Aerokit II was ordered factory, and if you have read the TSB for installation of those side skirts and rear spoiler, it will tell you not to fit them to the car without that bumper cover also as it will negatively effect the aerodynamics of the car. The other cover, yellow one Tommy583 posted is the Aerokit 1 for the 97-2002 cars. Side skirts and rear spoiler were different in that year range also. I think both look good, just depends what you are looking for. Both bumpers will fit on all year ranges. Side skirts will fit on all year ranges but mounting is easier on Aerokit II years (2003-2004). Rear spoilers mount on different rear deck lids. The 2003-2004 cars have a different deck lid anyway. Hope this clears it up
Thanks for that info that does clear it up a lot. So the deal that I am referring to on suncoast is legit then and I guess what we are looking at is the Aerokit II facelift GT3 style bumper? Is this where you got yours too?

Mine is an '03 S and the front bumper looks just like the older boxsters, dont think they changed it much. This GT3 style really changes the look of the car to something really cool which is why I want it.

By the way, the guy at Suncoast did say that the middle grille does need to be cut out for S versions. Surprised they don't have an S version but I assume it's not a huge deal to cut.
9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:52 PM   #19
Registered User
 
jmitro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: OK
Posts: 182
here's the updated for sale thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1174343


I happened to be lucky enough to buy a Boxster aerokit front bumper and sideskirts off ebay for a pretty good deal. I like the 996 aerokit, but the Boxster aerokit is just a bit less common and IMO looks really good. hard to tell in this photo but it's lower and edgier on the sides that the standard front bumper cover, similar to the 996 GT3 style.

__________________
99 Porsche Boxster track car
07 Porsche Cayman S speed yellow (new track car)
87 Porsche 924S Carrera GT project/ 951 engine transplant
2015 BMW X5
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:19 AM   #20
Registered User
 
9864ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Toronto
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitro View Post
here's the updated for sale thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1174343


I happened to be lucky enough to buy a Boxster aerokit front bumper and sideskirts off ebay for a pretty good deal. I like the 996 aerokit, but the Boxster aerokit is just a bit less common and IMO looks really good. hard to tell in this photo but it's lower and edgier on the sides that the standard front bumper cover, similar to the 996 GT3 style.

Looks great. Such an improvement over the standard bumper. I don't think i've ever seen a Boxster in person with that bumper before.

9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page