Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 04:40 AM   #21
Registered User
 
kjc2050's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 847
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBadBoy View Post
I can't believe no one really wants this top. Lots of interest. No takers
Perhaps you should share an asking price in the thread.
__________________
2000 Boxster S, 6 speed, Sport Package, Litronics, LED tail lights, LNE IMS-B, OBC, Skybreaker wind deflector, Arctic Silver/Graphite Grey
kjc2050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:21 AM   #22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBadBoy View Post
I can't believe no one really wants this top. Lots of interest. No takers
I think its a combination of things.
  • The asking price in relation to most users current car value is too high. If it was $1,500 to $2500 it would be gone tomorrow.
  • Andreas however scummy he may seem still has 2 unpainted brand new units for sale at $2980 a pop.
  • Renegade Hybrids has one in the final stages of manufacturing that should be out soon.
  • Eric's tops are $2100 New Boxster Hard Top Prototype

If someone has been hunting for one of these tops (which is a non essential extra) they will have noticed one or all of the above things.
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #23
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBadBoy View Post
I can't believe no one really wants this top. Lots of interest. No takers
None in mine either. I wish you were closer to me since I just had my white one painted Seal Gray since I had picked up a white one.
juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:38 AM   #24
Registered User
 
Dlirium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 583
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
I think its a combination of things.
  • The asking price in relation to most users current car value is too high. If it was $1,500 to $2500 it would be gone tomorrow.
  • Andreas however scummy he may seem still has 2 unpainted brand new units for sale at $2980 a pop.
  • Renegade Hybrids has one in the final stages of manufacturing that should be out soon.
  • Eric's tops are $2100 New Boxster Hard Top Prototype

If someone has been hunting for one of these tops (which is a non essential extra) they will have noticed one or all of the above things.
Nailed it. Not only that, there is another $1000 in fitment and painting once we get it - rapidly approaching 50% of the value of the car :-)

I think I would jump on one of these if I could do the project for sub $2k, but that doesn't appear realistic...
__________________
2000 S - Borla Exhaust, TS Cat Deletes, RSS UDP, B&M Short Shift, T96 Steering Wheel, Potenza RE-71R's,
Mantis 2.0L Deep Sump, de-snorkeled, Bilstein PSS9 Coil-Overs, Rennline lug studs, and auto crossed regularly
.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 66
Some things not being accounted for.

1) Can't begin to compare a top with functioning hatch and all glass installed to one you can get for 2000$ that is just a fiberglass shell meant for plexi windows.
2) If color combination is correct you get a fully finished top with finished and nice interior to it.
3) On top of glass you also get defrost provisions and LED third brake light.
4) The value of the cars does not drive the price of parts. Price anything from suspension to engine parts and the price is high. Price of Porsche ownership.

Your right, someone hunting will have noticed these things. I haven't even had mine long enough to install yet. I researched for months and the Z-top costs alot because of the quality and what you get. I paid 3k for mine and have to get it painted inside and out. I will be just under 4k. If your colors do not match one of the 2 Andreas has then you are looking at same expenses I had on top of shipping or pickup costs. This is why I went with one I could get eyes on. It is non-essential but desireable and one day if someone wants it I would let mine go for what I have in it or maybe after I have the chance to enjoy it I would lower the price.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
I think its a combination of things.
  • The asking price in relation to most users current car value is too high. If it was $1,500 to $2500 it would be gone tomorrow.
  • Andreas however scummy he may seem still has 2 unpainted brand new units for sale at $2980 a pop.
  • Renegade Hybrids has one in the final stages of manufacturing that should be out soon.
  • Eric's tops are $2100 New Boxster Hard Top Prototype

If someone has been hunting for one of these tops (which is a non essential extra) they will have noticed one or all of the above things.

Last edited by juiced99ws6; 03-10-2015 at 12:53 PM.
juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Nailed it. Not only that, there is another $1000 in fitment and painting once we get it - rapidly approaching 50% of the value of the car :-)

I think I would jump on one of these if I could do the project for sub $2k, but that doesn't appear realistic...
There is nothing needed for fitment. Worst case you may have to install with loose brackets the first time and then tighten up.
juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:14 PM   #27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond Va
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
There is nothing needed for fitment. Worst case you may have to install with loose brackets the first time and then tighten up.
Exactly! There is no cost of fitment. It comes on and off.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
I think its a combination of things.
  • The asking price in relation to most users current car value is too high. If it was $1,500 to $2500 it would be gone tomorrow.
  • Andreas however scummy he may seem still has 2 unpainted brand new units for sale at $2980 a pop.
  • Renegade Hybrids has one in the final stages of manufacturing that should be out soon.
  • Eric's tops are $2100 New Boxster Hard Top Prototype

If someone has been hunting for one of these tops (which is a non essential extra) they will have noticed one or all of the above things.

That Renegade was "soon to be released" 4 years ago when I bought my top. It still hasn't come out. It uses plexiglass windows. Mine has real glass, latches, gas struts, finished interior and a brake light. It's complete. Nothing needed but paint if it doesn't match. I had mine painted at the local Jaguar dealer body shop (Brown's Jaguar) for $500. The quality of the job was the same as they give Jags that come through their bays

And not to be negative towards Eric's top... but, you lose the use of your trunk. And with space being premium in a boxster ehhh... (Sorry)

Last edited by VaBadBoy; 03-10-2015 at 04:20 PM.
VaBadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 66
Same point I was trying to get across with Eric's, also was no intention of dogging on it, just that it is a racing top. It is not made for the daily functionality that our tops offer.

(BTW dude, mine is pretty much off the market because I finally get to pick it up color matched tomorrow so not trying to take your sale lol)

I can understand someone not wanting to put the money into a car with a lower value but I will have 20k into my Boxster since August with my top, stereo, wheels, and tinted lights. I know the KBB won't ever value it that high but i have a 60k mile world class sports car that can look like a Boxster or a Cayman within minutes. To me, it is worth every penny I have spent and I WILL get every bit of my money's worth in enjoyment.

For any potential buyers, what you need to look at is this basically allows you to have the sexy curves of a Cayman, AND still the beautiful weather drop top action of a Boxster in a really refined package. I know what VaBadBoy is asking for his top and I paid a similar price for mine and I think it is really fair for what you get, although yes, its a little hard to part with that much for a cosmetic item.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBadBoy View Post
Exactly! There is no cost of fitment. It comes on and off.





That Renegade was "soon to be released" 4 years ago when I bought my top. It still hasn't come out. It uses plexiglass windows. Mine has real glass, latches, gas struts, finished interior and a brake light. It's complete. Nothing needed but paint if it doesn't match. I had mine painted at the local Jaguar dealer body shop (Brown's Jaguar) for $500. The quality of the job was the same as they give Jags that come through their bays

And not to be negative towards Eric's top... but, you lose the use of your trunk. And with space being premium in a boxster ehhh... (Sorry)
juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond Va
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
Same point I was trying to get across with Eric's, also was no intention of dogging on it, just that it is a racing top. It is not made for the daily functionality that our tops offer.

(BTW dude, mine is pretty much off the market because I finally get to pick it up color matched tomorrow so not trying to take your sale lol)

I can understand someone not wanting to put the money into a car with a lower value but I will have 20k into my Boxster since August with my top, stereo, wheels, and tinted lights. I know the KBB won't ever value it that high but i have a 60k mile world class sports car that can look like a Boxster or a Cayman within minutes. To me, it is worth every penny I have spent and I WILL get every bit of my money's worth in enjoyment.

For any potential buyers, what you need to look at is this basically allows you to have the sexy curves of a Cayman, AND still the beautiful weather drop top action of a Boxster in a really refined package. I know what VaBadBoy is asking for his top and I paid a similar price for mine and I think it is really fair for what you get, although yes, its a little hard to part with that much for a cosmetic item.
Thanks man!
VaBadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBadBoy View Post
Thanks man!
No problem! I am super stoked to get mine tomorrow! I just have to pray it isn't raining when I get off work or else I'm delayed another day..
juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:00 AM   #31
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 5,682
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
I think its a combination of things.
  • The asking price in relation to most users current car value is too high. If it was $1,500 to $2500 it would be gone tomorrow.
  • Andreas however scummy he may seem still has 2 unpainted brand new units for sale at $2980 a pop.
  • Renegade Hybrids has one in the final stages of manufacturing that should be out soon.
  • Eric's tops are $2100 New Boxster Hard Top Prototype

If someone has been hunting for one of these tops (which is a non essential extra) they will have noticed one or all of the above things.
You said it.

I've been looking for a Zeintop for years, but have shown no interest in this one because there is no asking price.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #32
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 5,682
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
Some things not being accounted for.

1) Can't begin to compare a top with functioning hatch and all glass installed to one you can get for 2000$ that is just a fiberglass shell meant for plexi windows.

Price of Porsche ownership.
I've passed on sub-$2k Z-tops more than once. They are out there.

I have to disagree with your closing statement, "price of Porsche ownership". I have owned my car for years and have not spent more than $1500 total on it.
90% of that was non-essential. It's all about knowing where to find the deals doing the work yourself.

Enjoy your new top
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:01 PM   #33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Huntsville AL
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
I've passed on sub-$2k Z-tops more than once. They are out there.

I have to disagree with your closing statement, "price of Porsche ownership". I have owned my car for years and have not spent more than $1500 total on it.
90% of that was non-essential. It's all about knowing where to find the deals doing the work yourself.

Enjoy your new top
Believe me I will!!!! While other Boxster owners are out hunting for such a beautiful and rare part I will be showing mine off. Sounds like you missed out on some great opportunities with those sub 2k tops
juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #34
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 5,682
Garage
Nah, just don't want one bad enough to invest that much. I love the look, but I also love dropping the top at a moments notice. That, and I like the lines and color more now that I've done some cosmetic changes to the car (not that the lines were bad, but the black top actually flows better with the monochrome theme).

GLWS
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond Va
Posts: 21
I'm not quite sure how forum etiquette works here. But, on other forums I'm a member of, a sale thread wouldn't be allowed to turn into a discussion on why people (who clearly aren't interested in purchasing any hard top, not just this one) don't want to spend money or effort on the posted item.

I'm not trying to come off as having an attitude. But, posting in a sale thread about a item you aren't interested clutters the thread and is not fair to the seller.

Maybe this isn't the right marketplace for me.

If anyone IS ACTUALLY interested you can reach me by private message. I'll stop through and check them periodically. Or check eBay. It should be on there in the next couple of weeks when I get time.

Thanks.
VaBadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:11 PM   #36
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 246
As I agree with your standpoint on discussions on a for sale thread as being somewhat inappropriate, it is also appropriate to put a price on an item you are selling on a public forum like a lot of the discussions in this thread have mentioned. You being secretive about your asking price makes people shy away. Put a price that you want for it, if it is negotiable, mention it and then press on.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:29 AM   #37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Toronto
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBadBoy View Post
I'm not quite sure how forum etiquette works here. But, on other forums I'm a member of, a sale thread wouldn't be allowed to turn into a discussion on why people (who clearly aren't interested in purchasing any hard top, not just this one) don't want to spend money or effort on the posted item.

I'm not trying to come off as having an attitude. But, posting in a sale thread about a item you aren't interested clutters the thread and is not fair to the seller.

Maybe this isn't the right marketplace for me.

If anyone IS ACTUALLY interested you can reach me by private message. I'll stop through and check them periodically. Or check eBay. It should be on there in the next couple of weeks when I get time.

Thanks.
I understand however you asked a question to which I delivered a succinct answer. Everyone who posted is interested however you wanted to know why no one has bitten yet.
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 03:56 AM   #38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond Va
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
I understand however you asked a question to which I delivered a succinct answer. Everyone who posted is interested however you wanted to know why no one has bitten yet.
And yet you choose to continue discussion in a sale thread?

Your "answer" wasn't asked for. I simply made a statement that "I couldn't believe there were no takers." No explanation needed. Especially when it's full of inaccuracy.

You've never contacted me. So, how can you comment on how overpriced my item is? It's actually close to your scale.

You offer two alternative tops. The first offered is vaporware. It was "soon to rereleased" 4 years ago when I was considering purchasing my current top. The second suggestion isn't comparable in quality or function.

If anyone was ever interested in the price they've contacted me and gotten all the information they needed.

Thanks again to the forum owner for letting put my item for sale here. But, the two post before this one reinforce the point I originally made about distractions in sale post.

Last edited by VaBadBoy; 03-13-2015 at 03:58 AM.
VaBadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:00 AM   #39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: PR
Posts: 81
I fully concur with Vabadboy . I thought this was a serious FS/WTB Porsche 986 parts forum , not a high school type chat room for people who are neither buying / nor selling gossiping about and or criticizing someone else's posts .
I am pulling out of this forum as well and taking my business and purchasing needs somewhere else.
paseomayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:56 AM   #40
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: KC
Posts: 5,682
Garage
Just to clear things up, this is a public discussion forum. If you want to have full control, eBay may be a better solution.
You clearly implied puzzlement as to why no one was interested. You got some answers.

Lighten up.

Last edited by particlewave; 03-13-2015 at 01:37 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page