Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

Wanted: Obscure part in Litronics headlight

I'm upgrading the halogen headlights in my 2001 Boxster to Xenon. On the driver side unit I have I noticed that the inside reflector housing is slightly loose. I found that the white plastic gimbal that the headlamp leveling servo motor connects to has one of the tabs broken. I have been unable to find the part number for this. The best diagram I have found online is here but it doesn't appear to show the bit I'm after:

Litronic / Xenon 1999 & Up Headlamp Direction Indicator Light

So in this diagram, what is broken is the piece that the leveling motor (7) rod ball pushes into on the reflector housing. Its a white plastic part that is (thankfully) a separate piece from the reflector housing itself. I have confirmed that this part is not available from Porsche, only the whole headlight assembly. $$$

If anyone has a broken driver side xenon and doesn't mind removing that part, please let me know. Email: croot[at]rogers.com.

'01 Boxster - Seal Grey / Black / Black, Litronics upgrade / de-ambered

Last edited by crooster; 01-04-2014 at 11:42 AM.
crooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #2

Garage
That seems to be an issue with many of the litronics out there. I had ordered two different sets from two different suppliers. The first time the passengers was broken and the next time the drivers. On the second vender I had them send another one and now I'm good. I took a very close look at the situation and I believe the only way to replace the part is to split the lens from the housing. I even removed the electrical plug to check it out. You will likely want to return the broken one you have. I see no easy way to replace it. That's likely why it's not serviced. It must be a weak point in the design. I bet other people have seen this too.

Here's the broken piece I had ...
Name:  IMG_20131119_092024.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  4.4 KB
Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Karl. Returning it will be a hassle and likely involve some expense. I had to pay taxes when I imported to Canada and I imagine it will be difficult to recover assuming I just return one of the two headlights I ordered. Since I'm not planning on installing the controls for the headlamp leveling system I might just see if I can MacGyver something together than will hold. I do think if I got the part that I could manage to swap it without removing the front cover.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:56 PM   #4

I contacted the supplier and they have agreed to exchange the headlight, and cover the shipping costs.