986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster and Cayman Parts for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/)
-   -   Obscure part in Litronics headlight (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-cayman-parts-sale-wanted/50153-obscure-part-litronics-headlight.html)

crooster 01-04-2014 10:51 AM

Wanted: Obscure part in Litronics headlight

I'm upgrading the halogen headlights in my 2001 Boxster to Xenon. On the driver side unit I have I noticed that the inside reflector housing is slightly loose. I found that the white plastic gimbal that the headlamp leveling servo motor connects to has one of the tabs broken. I have been unable to find the part number for this. The best diagram I have found online is here but it doesn't appear to show the bit I'm after:

Litronic / Xenon 1999 & Up Headlamp Direction Indicator Light

So in this diagram, what is broken is the piece that the leveling motor (7) rod ball pushes into on the reflector housing. Its a white plastic part that is (thankfully) a separate piece from the reflector housing itself. I have confirmed that this part is not available from Porsche, only the whole headlight assembly. $$$

If anyone has a broken driver side xenon and doesn't mind removing that part, please let me know. Email: croot[at]rogers.com.

Karl Nettgen 01-05-2014 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That seems to be an issue with many of the litronics out there. I had ordered two different sets from two different suppliers. The first time the passengers was broken and the next time the drivers. On the second vender I had them send another one and now I'm good. I took a very close look at the situation and I believe the only way to replace the part is to split the lens from the housing. I even removed the electrical plug to check it out. You will likely want to return the broken one you have. I see no easy way to replace it. That's likely why it's not serviced. It must be a weak point in the design. I bet other people have seen this too.

Here's the broken piece I had ...
Attachment 18068

crooster 01-06-2014 03:42 AM

Thanks for the info Karl. Returning it will be a hassle and likely involve some expense. I had to pay taxes when I imported to Canada and I imagine it will be difficult to recover assuming I just return one of the two headlights I ordered. Since I'm not planning on installing the controls for the headlamp leveling system I might just see if I can MacGyver something together than will hold. I do think if I got the part that I could manage to swap it without removing the front cover.

crooster 01-07-2014 04:56 PM

I contacted the supplier and they have agreed to exchange the headlight, and cover the shipping costs.