Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2021, 06:21 PM   #121
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Love the Tropic Thunder reference!!

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #122

Nitrous, its the word of the day. LOL

Its being all kinds of obnoxious installing this thing.

One I am quickly running out of head room. A while back I decided to re invent my square bore adaptor for the M90. It meant bolting another adaptor to my already bolted on adaptor for the M90. Great solution if the nitrous fogger wasn't a square bore only design. SO now I'm stuck with HAVING to run a square bore adaptor and a nitrous plate. Oh well, if I need more head space I can always "squanch" my cold air intake a little bit.

Second challenge for nitrous is getting a suitable bracket made up for the solenoids. My coolant reservoir has been, over the past few months, moved to just right of the carburetor. The front and left side of the carb are dedicated for throttle and vacuum lines. The rear of the carb is the ignition (I'd rather not have fuel lines running right on top of a distributer). Which leaves me with almost no room for the solenoids. I might just have to get a little crafty and tuck the solenoids under the coolant res.

And now the obligatory pic for attention.

and for those who notice, yes the engine is out of the car. I mucked up too much on the last block and bought another $100 block off ebay. its getting done up at the machine shop right now. Honestly I'm not too mad about the whole thing. Blocks cost $100 and machining costs about $350 for just about everything you could want done to it. Hence I'm gonna run nitrous and keep blowing them up.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 03:23 PM   #123

Got my nitrous solenoids mounted to the flat bar around my carb. I'm about 70% done wiring. The triggers are feed into the cabin, but I haven't powered them.

And I wired my little fuel tank in the trunk with separate fuel pump. I'm thinking of just using aviation fuel in the NOS shot. But I might just toss in some ethanol free 93 octane fuel.

Hopefully all this is making Steve McQueen smile in his grave. LOL

Old 05-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #124

Here is the subframe, trying to give others some clarity with my design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHZz9yo35nw

Last edited by Qingdao; 05-02-2021 at 04:55 PM. Reason: fixed it
Old 05-03-2021, 04:20 PM   #125

Question from the kid in the back who sleeps during class...can you explain the working of the nos system? What do you need the aviation fuel or 93 octane for? Does it dilute the nos? Why ethanol free 93?

Lastly, can you please rig up a sexy voice to say "danger to mainfold" every time you hit the nos?

Sent from my SM-T595 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2021, 07:28 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
Question from the kid in the back who sleeps during class...can you explain the working of the nos system? What do you need the aviation fuel or 93 octane for? Does it dilute the nos? Why ethanol free 93?

Lastly, can you please rig up a sexy voice to say "danger to mainfold" every time you hit the nos?

Sent from my SM-T595 using Tapatalk

NOS is just air. Its pure air your engine needs without all the nasty carbon. So when you dump pure nitrogen and oxygen directly into your engine it gives you a boost of available stuff to use to complete combustion. HOWEVER, it does not contain fuel; shooting just air into your engine without fuel is not so good. So most nitrous systems now use a "wet spray" mixing NOS with fuel.

Some people who use nitrous get their fuel from the pressurized fuel system. They just tap into the fuel feed line for the carb/fuel injectors. I didn't want to stress out my fuel system with a sudden drop in pressure so I just made a separate tank/pump to feed the nitrous shot with fuel.

My choice for fuel in the nitrous hit has been solidified to alcohol. My reasons for using pure alcohol fuel is because of alcohols longer shelf life than most of the stuff with ethanol in it. Alcohol also has a higher octane than the gasoline I run in the tank. And (i'm stretching here) alcohol has a higher vaporizion rate over gasoline so .... cools the rotors on the charger better.... Maybe not, but I can wish.

I can only put the danger to manifolds voice in if I put exploding bolts in my passenger's floor board. I don't think my wife would be keen on that one.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
NOS is just air. Its pure air your engine needs without all the nasty carbon. So when you dump pure nitrogen and oxygen directly into your engine it gives you a boost of available stuff to use to complete combustion. HOWEVER, it does not contain fuel; shooting just air into your engine without fuel is not so good. So most nitrous systems now use a "wet spray" mixing NOS with fuel.

Some people who use nitrous get their fuel from the pressurized fuel system. They just tap into the fuel feed line for the carb/fuel injectors. I didn't want to stress out my fuel system with a sudden drop in pressure so I just made a separate tank/pump to feed the nitrous shot with fuel.

My choice for fuel in the nitrous hit has been solidified to alcohol. My reasons for using pure alcohol fuel is because of alcohols longer shelf life than most of the stuff with ethanol in it. Alcohol also has a higher octane than the gasoline I run in the tank. And (i'm stretching here) alcohol has a higher vaporizion rate over gasoline so .... cools the rotors on the charger better.... Maybe not, but I can wish.

I can only put the danger to manifolds voice in if I put exploding bolts in my passenger's floor board. I don't think my wife would be keen on that one.
Thanks for the knowledge! My understanding of nos is based solely on those movies but now I understand!

Your point about alcohol is a valid one. That is one of the fundamental advantanges of WMI, the state changes of the fuel pulls thermal energy out of the intake charge and thus lowers intake temps.

Exploding floor bolts! Hah!

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #128

I finally got to hear my car's exhaust... only cause I abandoned my wife on the side of the road LOL

https://youtu.be/Q30hE9SDYjM

It really does sound pretty good.