Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 01:16 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I have a 2000 S with the "S" badge properly placed, the correct shift knob, center radiator, brakes, etc., BUT a 1997 2.5L engine installed.
This looks like a 3.2 to me:

Nice car and improvements Randy.

(Just change that 5th digit in the VIN from an 'A' to a 'B' and nobody will ever know. )
Thanks for the compliment, very much appreciated 78F350. I will do no such thing haha, I got nothing to hide.

2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:17 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Very true! Apologies if it's actually an S, but I don't know why there's an original Boxster badge on the back, rather than an original Boxster S badge.
I was never offended, but apology accepted.
I was curious to why you thought it was a base, so thanks for bringing up that the rear trunk badge was off-center. To de-badge it now, so another "Ger" cannot critique my box lol
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Old 03-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #23
Yellow986S

Did you paint the wheels white? If so, post a picture.
In your avatar they are white and look really good.
Yellow986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:34 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow986S View Post
Did you paint the wheels white? If so, post a picture.
In your avatar they are white and look really good.
Thank you Yellow986S, I did it a few years ago.
I could only find the one picture that's on my avatar.
It was a plasti-dip white with plasti-dip gloss coat.
I plan to do it again once weather permits.
But here's a blown up picture of my avatar for now.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I have a 2000 S with the "S" badge properly placed, the correct shift knob, center radiator, brakes, etc., BUT a 1997 2.5L engine installed.
Did you put the 2.5L engine into the S, or re-badge a 2.5L to look like a 3.2?

Either way, lovely car Dubaday - looks fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubaday View Post
To de-badge it now, so another "Ger" cannot critique my box lol
Hahaha, sorry

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 03-11-2016 at 10:19 AM.
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #26
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Did you put the 2.5L engine into the S, or re-badge a 2.5L to look like a 3.2? ...
As stated, mine is a 2000 S with a 1997 2.5L engine. I bought it that way as a 'project car'. Are you absolutely certain yours has a 3.2? A lot of things can happen over the years.
Old 03-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #27

I'm very certain

That's interesting though, I suppose the 2.5's are supposedly a more reliable engine with better mpg, but you get the added benefits of the S brakes, etc.

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:10 AM   #28

Garage
My box has recently thrown a code P0302 and it came down to cyl. 2 misfire. So what I did was rule out what I could to save some mula.
First I took coilpack from cyl. 2 and swapped it with cyl. 3 coilpack, deleted the code before turning over, and within a minute, same code..
Second, I took the spark plug from cyl. 2(by the way was dry and oil free)swapped it with cyl. 3 spark plug, and also put the coilpacks back to the original cyl, deleted code before turning over, same code...
Third and luckily the last, I swapped the pre-cat 02 from passanger side with the driver side, deleted code before turning over, and the code changed to P0306 cyl. 6 misfire...
Purchased a new pre-cat 02 from Bosch, replaced it on friday, drove all weekend, NO CODES!

Here are a few pictures

old 02

new 02

been enjoying how stiff the rear is because of the technobrace and the 3-way adjustable swaybar

Last edited by Dubaday; 03-21-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:14 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Come on, Ger! Be nice to Randy

The evidence for it being an "S" outweighs the evidence to the contrary.
6 speed, "batwing" moniker and center radiator.

A clear shot of the rotors/calipers will add to the evidence.
lol thanks Particlewave. While i was there replacing the 02 sensor, i took a shot of the rotor/caliper to show some "evidence"

also a side shot while I was at it
Old 03-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #30

Garage
Ben006's short shifter

Best and cheapest mod yet, like a bolt action rifle. You definitely know when it is in gear. Thanks again Ben006
Old 03-31-2016, 04:24 PM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Very true! Apologies if it's actually an S, but I don't know why there's an original Boxster badge on the back, rather than an original Boxster S badge.
I have to disagree that this is a base badge on the back. It may be off center, or it could be the camera angle. It was my understanding that only the S models came with the titanium badges. It's also possible that the badges were replaced and the person putting them on didn't get them quite right. I'm gonna say that this is an S....no doubt in my mind.

Good job changing everything yourself.

Tony
Old 04-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
Good job changing everything yourself.
Thank you Tony, much more rewarding when you DIY.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #33

Beautiful car. Why kind of shifter is that? Very nice.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:13 AM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBOX2000 View Post
Beautiful car. Why kind of shifter is that? Very nice.
Thank you DW
The shifter is a custom made ball bearing short shifter by a forum member named
Ben006. Check out his thread he has going on in the DIY section, amazing product.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #35

Garage
Yesterday I was clay barring the box and a coat of wax afterward. I recently
removed the rear Boxster S badge for no particular reason But
I'm having troubles getting rid of the de-badged area completely.
Anyone have suggestions on how to remove this? WD-40, clay bar, wax, no luck.
It is hardly noticeable unless you're trying to look for it, or at a certain slant in light
or sun you can see it . It really bothers me even when others don't notice it.

Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Last edited by Dubaday; 04-08-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #36

That should polish out. Polishing is an abrasive process that basically removes the outer layer of paint/clearcoat. This will tend to even out those small scratches (also known as swirl marks or "spiderwebbing") which you generally see only where the logo wasn't, and basically flatten out the surface so those small scratches basically disappear. It will also leave the polished surface looking very glossy, with deep reflections. Like if you have a sheet of water covering the surface.

You have basically two option for tackling this: either try to DIY, or take it to a car detailer to do it.

It is not rocket science to do it yourself, but there are some tools and materials to buy (and many more to pick from), and there is a learning curve to it. I'm sure there are a bunch of folks here who can help advise on products and technique if you wish to DIY, (since as you may know, many other of us Porsche owners also like to keep our cars looking good. )

I expect wax may also help (especially if you used a variety that has scratch filling capability, which perhaps the one you're using doesn't), but the effect would be temporary, so it's a "band-aid" solution. Polishing would be the permanent scratch removing solution (and you can still wax or put a sealer over the top of the polished surface, too).

By the way, is that color lapis blue? I also have a lapis blue boxster - a 2001 - that is *very* badly swirled. I suspect it may be soft paint, or maybe just such a dark color the swirls are very noticeable (in certain lighting conditions at least). I've been wanting to polish it myself completely when I find the time. (So far, I've only polished one band across the front edge of the hood. )

Last edited by jakeru; 04-08-2016 at 09:42 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:57 AM   #37

Garage
Thank you Jakeru for the input
I was thinking about giving a rubbing compound a try, but also considering polish,
but I've never used either products so I don't want to end up hurting the paint,
rather than solving my excess glue issue on the de-badged area:ah::ah::ah:
but later today I'm stopping by a detail shop to see what pricing are.
We'll see what happens, If the price is right, I may just be without a box for a day
Old 04-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
By the way, is that color lapis blue?
Negative captain, It is an Ocean metallic blue. Here are a few shots of it clay barred and wax.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dubaday; 04-11-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #39

Ocean blue, the best color

Ok not the best pic...
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:47 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Ocean blue, the best color

Ok not the best pic...
You need more sunlight lol.
But no doubt, best color!