Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 09:07 AM   #1

Garage
Randy's 2000 Boxster S

Just finished a Clutch/DMF/RMS/IMS replacement. Also added a couple extras for my taste buds.

2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:11 AM   #2

Garage

2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Old 03-08-2016, 09:15 AM   #3

Garage
And a skyline shot of Seattle,WA from Alki beach
Old 03-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

Well done.

I'm not seeing details or pics of your IMS bearing swap. Curious what you went with and how your bearing was when you pulled it.

I wish I could get my mitts on those headers. I'd like to hear them
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:27 AM   #5

Garage
Wow, looks fantastic! Tell us more about:

1) performance of the new clutch. how does it compare to stock?

2) Sound / performance of Jetex muffler, really looks great! How is sound and drone?

3) How you get past smog (or don't you have that in WA?)

thanks!
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
Well done.

I'm not seeing details or pics of your IMS bearing swap. Curious what you went with and how your bearing was when you pulled it.

I wish I could get my mitts on those headers. I'd like to hear them
Thank you very much.
I didn't take pictures of the IMS or RMS, was on a roll and wanted to get it assembled already. It was a dual row, didn't seem like it was in bad shape, car just hit 115k as of yesterday. But I figure I'd change it while the transmission was off, Gives me an ease of mind.

Headers sound great, as far as 3500rpm lets me hear it haha. Still breaking in the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Wow, looks fantastic! Tell us more about:

1) performance of the new clutch. how does it compare to stock?

2) Sound / performance of Jetex muffler, really looks great! How is sound and drone?

3) How you get past smog (or don't you have that in WA?)

thanks!
Thanks a bunch! I worked my a$$ off learning how to do this project!

1- It grabs a bit faster than stock, I had to learn how to give it a bit more gas, rather than not enough, or else you WILL stall out. Don't ask me how I know this

2- Sound is superb compared to stock muffler, nice deep toned roar, on Idle is not even that loud at all. I'll make a vid of the car starting up for you.

3-I still have cats, the fabspeed headers with 200-cell hjs sport cats, and it passed emissions just fine.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #7

Fantastic work buddy, always a pleasure seeing people work on their cars themselves.

What was the mileage when you bought the car?

Also, an 'S' on a non-S?

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting
geraintthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraintthomas View Post
Fantastic work buddy, always a pleasure seeing people work on their cars themselves.

What was the mileage when you bought the car?

Also, an 'S' on a non-S?
Thanks bro, much appreciated. It was a learning curve for sure.
My dad bought the car with a little over 90k on it, I bought it from him with 108,500 on it.
It's a 3.2L S haha
Old 03-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #9

If you say so glad you're enjoying it though

Bi-xenon Headlight Upgrade | 987 S 18" Anthracite Alloys | Android Head Unit | 5000k 55w HID's | 5000k Cree DRL's | 5000k Cree number plate lights | Cree LED Indicators | One-touch roof operation | Bypass exhaust pipes | Parking sensors | Ambient footwell lighting

Last edited by geraintthomas; 03-08-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
If you say so glad you're enjoying it though
My center console and shift knob says so too

I sure am! Now to detail the car up to your specs. Seems like you got every corner and trim more clean than it would've came from factory! props!
Old 03-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
Here is a video I just took of the exhaust starting up with a few revs..
1st rev = 2000rpm
2nd rev = 3000rpm
3rd rev = almost 4000rpm

https://youtu.be/UQVJze4FjLQ

Last edited by Dubaday; 03-09-2016 at 05:08 AM. Reason: forgot to add the URL link for video
Old 03-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #12

Why is your Boxster S badge completely off centre then? If you took the S off, it's perfectly central. Like a normal Boxster. So the S has clearly been added.

Last edited by geraintthomas; 03-09-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Why is your Boxster S badge completely off centre then? If you took the S off, it's perfectly central. Like a normal Boxster. So the S has clearly been added.
Dang, caught me base handed. I clearly threw in the S shift knob too and that still didn't fool you.

Last edited by Dubaday; 03-09-2016 at 12:09 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
Old 03-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #14

That's also easily done

Old 03-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
That's also easily done
Come on, Ger! Be nice to Randy

The evidence for it being an "S" outweighs the evidence to the contrary.
6 speed, "batwing" moniker and center radiator.

A clear shot of the rotors/calipers will add to the evidence.
Old 03-10-2016, 02:24 AM   #16

Very true! Apologies if it's actually an S, but I don't know why there's an original Boxster badge on the back, rather than an original Boxster S badge.

Old 03-10-2016, 03:12 AM   #17

Garage
My car has no badge and if I was to put one on again, I'd likely screw up and do it as it is on his car. That makes a lot more sense then putting a 6 speed in a car to fool people that you have the prestige of owning the slightly less hairdresser of the hairdressers car.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:28 AM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Maybe a replacement boot lid from a base or the PO replaced the badge at some point and did it wrong?
Old 03-10-2016, 11:50 AM   #19

True that. Didn't think of that!

Old 03-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #20
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I have a 2000 S with the "S" badge properly placed, the correct shift knob, center radiator, brakes, etc., BUT a 1997 2.5L engine installed.
This looks like a 3.2 to me:

Nice car and improvements Randy.

(Just change that 5th digit in the VIN from an 'A' to a 'B' and nobody will ever know. )

Last edited by 78F350; 03-10-2016 at 12:21 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote