Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #81

For those that don't know, the plastic interior on 97-99 is different from 2000-04. They're mostly the same ,but the 00-04 interior plastic pieces have a coating on them that give a flatter finish. I'm guessing Porsche started doing this to give the Boxster an updated look. When new the 00-04 interior does look better, but the problem is that it scratches if you even look at it wrong. It doesn't take long for the 00-04 interior to look beat up. Heck, it only took my dog 30 seconds to scratch the hell out of my center console and door flap. I'm not a fan of the 00-04 interior.! Needless to say my interior needed to be rehabbed. I was going to originally paint all the interior pieces body color using the 97-99 interior because it doesn't have that coating. Well as paint day got closer, I got lazier and decided to use the 97-99 pieces as they were. I did try and experiment with the interior pieces before putting them on. I coated them with Turtle Wax's trim restorer. It says on the bottle it's not for interior pieces, but I used it on the interior of my Dodge Ram and it made the interior look brand new. I put it on my truck six months ago and it still looks great. I wish I had before and after pics. The plastic was chalky and faded before I used the trim restorer. Now it looks like it just rolled off the show room. It's a little shiny at first, but that quickly goes away after a few days. I had such good luck with the restorer, I thought I would try it on my boxster parts before installing them. I figure worse case scenario is I would have to reinstall the interior plastics from another car.

Here's a pic of three A pillar trim. Far left is untreated 97-99, middle is 97-99 with the turtle wax restorer and the right is the 00-04.

The problem with 97-99 interior is the color. It has a grey tone to it that can clash with other colors. It's so much more durable that the 00-04 though. The good thing about the 00-04, is that it matches almost any interior color. I'm hoping the turtle wax interior can bridge that gap. Here's a pic with most of the pieces put back.

Old 01-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #82

Another thing to note about the last pic. I've decided to remove all the speakers and airbags except for the steering wheel air bag. I've also decided to remove the stereo and lower center console. I'm thinking about making my own GT3 delete for that area using luan plywood like I did for the floorboard. Luan plywood is super light and strong enough. Add another 34lbs onto the weight loss for a total of 125lbs lost.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 01-14-2016 at 07:55 PM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:25 PM   #83

Fun project! I'm also in the middle of re-doing my Boxster's soft-touch interior pieces. They are 2001 spec with the scratch-prone finish. I've got all of them that are exposed to any sort of wear out of the car, and am stripping all the old soft-touch finish off them. Some of it (side armrests) strips off a lot easier than on others (door sill trim)! Going to refinish with SEM color coat satin black, which I checked out a sample of in the auto body store and it's a perfect color match with the factory finish - and a whole lot more durable. Debating whether to clear coat for added durability with a semi-matt polyurethane 2K clearcoat over the top for the ultimate durability, or to just leave the SEM color coat (supposed to be quite durable in its own right) and call it good.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:34 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeru View Post
Fun project! I'm also in the middle of re-doing my Boxster's soft-touch interior pieces. They are 2001 spec with the scratch-prone finish. I've got all of them that are exposed to any sort of wear out of the car, and am stripping all the old soft-touch finish off them. Some of it (side armrests) strips off a lot easier than on others (door sill trim)! Going to refinish with SEM color coat satin black, which I checked out a sample of in the auto body store and it's a perfect color match with the factory finish - and a whole lot more durable. Debating whether to clear coat for added durability with a semi-matt polyurethane 2K clearcoat over the top for the ultimate durability, or to just leave the SEM color coat (supposed to be quite durable in its own right) and call it good.
What process did you use to strip the coating?
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:10 PM   #85

I experimented with several methods to strip the coating. Lessons learned:

1. Plastic razor blades are your best friend for this job! Occasionally switch to new or sharpen for best results. Does not damage the plastic substrate.
2. I did find somewhat enhanced results when combined with a coating "softening agent". Ones I tried:
* Isopropyl alcohol 70% works ok - I'd even step it up to 90% if I had hat. Put in spray bottle for easy application. Evaporates quickly, so work fast.
* DOT4 brake fluids also works ok. Can leave overnight for more than one night even - won't evaporate. Washes off with water, but handle carefully.
* Stay away from anything with acetone. It dissolves the plastic! I don't recall getting that great result with other hydrocarbon softening agents I tried (e.g., WD40 seemed to not help), but maybe increasing dwell time would help. I doubt it will be th magic bullet.
* I tried hot and cold water. Seems like a little heat helped, but nothing was really the "magic bullet."
* I tried windex, with ammonia. Not much help. (Maybe would work better with lots of dwell time.)
* I did not experiment with many other softening agents, but read some used acids (oven cleaner?) successfully
3. After scraping the bulk off with a plastic razor, you can get the last bit with a scotchbrite pad. I used grey scotchbrite, recommended by auto body supply for paint prep for this. Works best with heavy-moderate pressure.
4. There are a mix of different textures (smooth to pebbled surface) and plastics used throughout the interior components (quite a few ABS, some PC+ABS, some PA6 GF 15/30) and even one rubber component (EPDM) used at the ignition key surround. Be very careful with that rubber piece. It's easily damaged.
Attached Images

Last edited by jakeru; 01-15-2016 at 06:13 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #86

Garage
Was just watching Car Fix on TV. They were redoing Ferrari parts with the soft touch plastic like what we have in our Boxsters. Strip and repainted. Looks like the way to go.
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:01 AM   #87

Love the plywood. I was thinking about doing that myself, but ended up getting a good deal from Rennline.
martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:47 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
Wonder what exhaust they used in that picture?

I've always wanted to try mounting a 996TT exhaust to complete my RUF 3600S clone.

Old 01-24-2016, 04:51 PM   #89

I haven't experimented on how to remove the old soft touch coating. I can tell you that the dishwasher didn't work for me. I can tell you, DO NOT use lacquer thinner on the 97-99 plastic. I had a small speck of what looked like paint on my center console. I put some lacquer on a rag to wipe it off. Big mistake! It made the plastic look chalky and there was no getting it out.

Here's all the chemicals I used to get it out without any luck. Perfectly good center console that's only good for painting now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightbox View Post
Wonder what exhaust they used in that picture?
Hard to tell from pics, but I'd guess just some straight pipes with deleted cats. That's what a lot of the spec guys do. Nice boxster! I really like the Gambella look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martsink View Post
Love the plywood. I was thinking about doing that myself, but ended up getting a good deal from Rennline.
It only cost like $5 for that luana and I'm completely happy with it. I put some very thin rubber under it to keep it from rattling too much. It's an experiment. If you like that then you'll like this. I'm almost done with my version of the GT3 delete and it didn't cost me anything. I used stuff I had from home construction and some carpet from a 996. The first pic is how I modified the center console frame. I modified some 4 inch pvc with a heat gun to get the shape I wanted and then cut it to fit using a jigsaw. I then drilled a hole through it for the conduit. The conduit is glued in to keep it from sliding out and two conduit clamps hold it down to the tunnel. There's four factory studs that work perfectly. For the back I just cut luana to shape and drilled two holes to secure it to the metal brace. The back piece will sit on top of the bottom piece and secure it from moving around. Ok, it might not look pretty in these pics, but let me get it finished before you rush to judgment. I'm in the process of glueing the carpet to them.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:47 AM   #90

Garage
Ingenious! Love the console.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 AM   #91

I think it looks really good and everytime my leg bumps against that center console I wish for a GT3 center console delete. But I have oil temp and pressure gauges in the top spot and put my phone, wallet, and garage door opener in the bottom slot

PS the pedals look really good too.

Quote:
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:19 AM   #92

Quote:
I haven't experimented on how to remove the old soft touch coating. I can tell you that the dishwasher didn't work for me. I can tell you, DO NOT use lacquer thinner on the 97-99 plastic. I had a small speck of what looked like paint on my center console. I put some lacquer on a rag to wipe it off. Big mistake! It made the plastic look chalky and there was no getting it out.

Here's all the chemicals I used to get it out without any luck. Perfectly good center console that's only good for painting now.

Hard to tell from pics, but I'd guess just some straight pipes with deleted cats. That's what a lot of the spec guys do. Nice boxster! I really like the Gambella look.

It only cost like $5 for that luana and I'm completely happy with it. I put some very thin rubber under it to keep it from rattling too much. It's an experiment. If you like that then you'll like this. I'm almost done with my version of the GT3 delete and it didn't cost me anything. I used stuff I had from home construction and some carpet from a 996. The first pic is how I modified the center console frame. I modified some 4 inch pvc with a heat gun to get the shape I wanted and then cut it to fit using a jigsaw. I then drilled a hole through it for the conduit. The conduit is glued in to keep it from sliding out and two conduit clamps hold it down to the tunnel. There's four factory studs that work perfectly. For the back I just cut luana to shape and drilled two holes to secure it to the metal brace. The back piece will sit on top of the bottom piece and secure it from moving around. Ok, it might not look pretty in these pics, but let me get it finished before you rush to judgment. I'm in the process of glueing the carpet to them.

I read a post here the person used brake fluid to remove the film and left them alone after removing film. A reply was " it cant be that easy".
nicecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:38 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
PS the pedals look really good too.
Yes thank you for selling them to me

I'll have to dye the carpet some because the 996 carpet has some sun fade compared to mine. Not a big deal dyeing black. I'm 90% pleased with the final results. Almost free vs $191 from ECStuning

Old 01-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #94

Wow the finished version looks really good!
Old 01-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #95

That pedal really helped me with my rev matching on downshifts. I have switched to one by the same company that doesn't have the two extensions, instead it has a smaller (5-10mm) extension that sticks out to the left for the whole length of the pedal.

It is like the one in the picture here, except that the whole pedal is satin finished without the little diamond grips. This vendor recommends a smoother finish for the throttle and it has been working well for me.

The vendor (Brian I think) is cool, when I uninstalled that pedal I sent it to him to be media blasted back to like new, and he also sandblasted some metal wheel center cap emblems for me.

SRP Porsche 986 Boxster Aluminum Racing Pedal

Old 02-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #96

I was going to wait until I went and picked it up before telling you guys, but I'm just too excited. I had the winning bid on a 2001 Carrera with only 37k!: I really thought it would be months or years until I found a motor. The thought that I might have this thing rolling before summer makes me want to :dance::dance:
Old 02-02-2016, 04:13 PM   #97

Woody, just a quick but sincere thanks from the orient for taking the time to share what you do. Pics are cool, "thread is alive!"

Quiet but reading it all when updates comes in. Work safely mate
Old 02-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Woody, just a quick but sincere thanks from the orient for taking the time to share what you do. Pics are cool, "thread is alive!"

Quiet but reading it all when updates comes in. Work safely mate
Why thanks mate! I figured there's was a few of you guys just watching. I was the same with the V8 thread. I didn't have much to say on that one either, but I kept tuned to every update. Now I need to go and read every 3.4 swap thread. I think I'll have it pretty easy because I'll have a 2000 and 2001 Carrera cabs to pull parts from.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #99

Garage
Very nice, congrats! I am one of those watching from the sidelines, keep the updates coming!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #100
still plays with cars...

Garage
Quote:
I was going to wait until I went and picked it up before telling you guys, but I'm just too excited. I had the winning bid on a 2001 Carrera with only 37k!: I really thought it would be months or years until I found a motor. The thought that I might have this thing rolling before summer makes me want to :dance::dance:
Oh yeah, that Boxster will absolutely dance with a 3.4. Only a 100 hp boost over stock!
Living vicariously through this build.

Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote