Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Show and Tell Gallery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

986>996? gasp!

I've owned a lot of cars, and this is my first carmaker repeat buy. I sold my 996 last year and went car-lite, sharing a TDI wagon with my girlfriend and riding bicycles everywhere else (because coming from WI to NC, there is no winter here!). I miss having a fun car but do not miss the expense of multiple German machines. Since the TDI is paid for and takes a tank of fuel not-even-once-a-month, I felt ok shopping for a toy. I was really settled on an S2000 after driving a few but found a deal I couldn't refuse. 986 Boxster with full service history, brand new top, and not a hint of curb rash. Interior is 8/10, body is good with some clearcoat degradation on the front fender.

I love this little car. It really does give about 80% of the 996 experience at 40% of the price. I am kicking myself for not considering a Boxster S before I went for the 996. I also feel bad for internally judging Boxster drivers for YEARS on the road, at the track. Just like my revelation after finally hooning an NA Miata around, I just didn't know what I was missing. Hammond says there's only one reason to buy a Boxster: because you can't afford a 911. I don't think that's true anymore. The Boxster doesn't have the telepathic, chatty 911 steering, nor the crazy braking power. It does have the flat-six bark and it's possibly even better than a 996 because that intake is right next to the driver's head. I immediately took out the intake silencer (snorkel) when I brought it home, a must-do for every 986 owner. The wail above 5000rpm is nuts. It also has the ever-present mechanical whine that made air-cooled 911's so charismatic. I also did this mod to the muffler and yes, it's slightly ghetto, it did make a subtle difference in the sound just off-idle. I need to get the Pedro's muffler mod done to give it some more rasp and burble.

Finding a good one is getting tougher, but this really should be a sensible (for a 2-seater) car to own. I hope. I need to figure out how to shoe-horn my folding bike into the front end. It *almost* fits.

The new-to-me Boxster:

my old 996:

CrashTest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #2

Well done mate. Nice ride

Don't forget you can trick & tune this little red car to the bones for real cheap also! Compared with 996s aftermarket parts and all. All good fun, and still very cheap on petrol

Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #3

Garage
Great looking Boxster and welcome to the forum Is that Badger Red by chance? I'm also originally from Wisconsin, love the no winter here in Texas!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #4

Great looking Boxster! Congrats! Love the red! Can you post pics of the interior? Your 996 was very cool too.
I got to do the desnorkeling too!
urban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #5

I don't have nice photos/photos of the interior yet. Plain-jane black 986 interior, 4-spoke wheel, no options.

I love the desnorkeled sound, I also did this mod, with 9/16" holes. Much better, but subtle. I need to talk to my air-cooled mechanic friend about doing the DIY Pedro's/PSE muffler mod. The car needs a little more bark.

One thing I will say, that I wish someone told me 5 years ago, the early Boxsters (on the street) do not want for power. Plenty fast, but also slow enough to run through the gears on reasonably deserted roads. Just all-in-all great real-world sportscars. If Porsche had made an early 2.5L Cayman it just might be my ideal car right now.

Speaking on interiors, I do have a photos of the wonderful mustard-tan interior on my 996. I loved it!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:10 PM   #6

Oh - and it might be Badger Red. I'm a 4th generation ME grad from Madison.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTest View Post
Oh - and it might be Badger Red. I'm a 4th generation ME grad from Madison.
Class of '83, BBS, double major in Finance and Risk Management
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #8

Garage
I always joke it's a small world. Nine8six, how in the world did you get the center lock wheels? Looks mint! Also crashtest, congrats on your car!

Last edited by Kenny Boxster; 11-03-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #9

haha those are FAKE Kenny!!! They are "center" but not "lock". You got it half right!

Knockoff spoiler and mirrors, cheap-cheap fiberglass everything!!!!! Trick-Trick!

Last edited by Nine8Six; 11-04-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #10
G&L

Garage
Welcome to NC! Great-looking Boxster. They're a revelation, aren't they?! Never knew I could laugh so much while driving

G&L is offline   Reply With Quote